Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325126 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Am I missing something or is manufacturing your own blocks really impractical?

For example if I need a shield capacitor it takes 25 rammet and 25 sertise capsules. You get 5 capsules per ore so that's 10 ore. You can sell ore for ~100 each, so the cost in materials is 1000 spacebucks.

Or I can buy a shield capacitor from the shop for.... 500 spacebucks. I could sell the ore and buy TWO shield capacitors instead of making one.

Also, you have to find specific asteroids to get the correct ore to manufacture a block. But, if you sell the crystals it does not matter which crystals you sell - they all are worth about the same amount of spacebucks (~100 each) so you can mine any asteroids, sell the ore, and buy whatever you need.

The only downside is the shop will eventually run out of shield capacitors, but you can fly around going to different shops and they also seem to restock eventually.

That is true.  In the case of using only a basic factory.  However, if you have multiple factory modules attached to a factory, you produce additional capacitors for the same cost as 1.  I believe that is how it works, at least.  It might just be that it just runs the materials through in bulk.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

That is true.  In the case of using only a basic factory.  However, if you have multiple factory modules attached to a factory, you produce additional capacitors for the same cost as 1.  I believe that is how it works, at least.  It might just be that it just runs the materials through in bulk.

Factory modules only make it build faster, you don't get free blocks.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Assuming this hasn't changed since the last time I played (it's been a while), the prices you get from the shops depend on their supply of the item you're trying to buy or sell. When the shop had none of an item, you could sell it for 3 or 4 times (I forget which) the on-paper value of the item. When its stock was full of that item, it gave you a low price, on the other hand (You would think I would remember how low, but apparently not).

So as you sell more and more junk-you-don't-want to the store and buy more and more of the components you want, the sale value of your crystals (or ice blocks, or w/e) drops, and the purchase price of the components goes up...

Of course they do restock periodically, but afaik they don't get rid of items that they aren't selling. (Of course you can just buy them all back for cheap once the price has adjusted downward, if you have the money)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

That can't be right, otherwise you could just buy everything and make the price go up (since the shop is totally empty) -> sell it back for twice as much as you payed -> buy it all back for half price (since it's totally full) over and over and basically print money.

Anyway I just checked at a store, I bought all the power reactors they had... and the price didn't change (100 spacebucks per module). I also filled it completely up with 50,000 carved cinnibar blocks and it gave me 30 spacebucks per block for all the blocks.

I also flew around checking prices - one shop had 6000+ missile tubes in stock and was selling them for 1009 credits. One shop had 58 in stock and was selling them for..... 1000 credits.

So either this server is using a mod, or they've changed how it works since you last played.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

The only downside is the shop will eventually run out of shield capacitors, but you can fly around going to different shops and they also seem to restock eventually.

Yeah economy is still pretty broken. Did you factor in sales price of ore being less than purchase price?

Anyway only real use is when all your faction needs several thousand of them per member, quite hard to shop at that level, but those blue asteroids seems damn rare

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Yeah economy is still pretty broken. Did you factor in sales price of ore being less than purchase price?

Anyway only real use is when all your faction needs several thousand of them per member, quite hard to shop at that level, but those blue asteroids seems damn rare

As far as I can tell, sale price = purchase price. Things cost the same to buy as you can sell them for (the merchant takes no profit)

And that's the other thing about manufacturing. If you do need LOTS of something, it just takes too many crystals.

If you are building ships that take 3000 shield generators, that's 300,000 capsules = 60,000 *specific* crystals per ship. That's a *lot* of hunting around looking for specific asteroids (especially the rare blue ones), it's much MUCH quicker to just fly to random unowned sectors and just buy all the shields from the shops there too.

There's lots of sectors, and it seems like 5+ shops per sector, so you can just just keep visiting them till you get enough shields (or missile tubes, or whatever). If you make a small ship with a big jump drive it charges really fast so you can very quickly check shops.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well there is that 6x bonus you get mining from an owned sector. That should make it faster

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's still better than it used to be, when I would log onto a server, buy a couple thousand dirt-cheap (literally) blocks, and then rip them apart into cubatoms and smash the cubatoms back together into faction modules, and then sell those for millions of credits (or billions, if I went to enough shops, because they kept running out of credits to pay for them with).

I miss being able to just immediately make whatever I wanted in MP without having to mine for months first.

(Also being able to create a ship core and whatever else with, basically, witchcraft, in case stores were all out, which seemed to happen a lot for certain things)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I went over to the StarMade forums, hoping to recover my last set of blueprints from SATURN, but unfortunately the server has folded, and unless I can get ahold of someone from over there most of my best ships are gone.  I'll still have Eidolon, but the last version of her I can recover is from Forsaken's old server, and will need substantial work before she's even flight ready.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Good luck to you, NFO. I remember when forsaken dumped the blueprints on us and I lost everything that wasn't already floating in space.

Much of the galaxy is still up for grabs, right? We can probably find a couple systems with a belt near the outer rim and use those.

We can also vote for the server to get credits. >_>
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I really hate doing this because bribing people to vote completely defeats the purpose of having a vote. It feels like cheating the system.

On the other hand, they are giving away like 10 million per day or something, it's kind of over the top.... feels like if you don't vote you get left behind (that's probably the purpose)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

The way I see it is that if you care enough about the server to want the money you may as well vote for it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really hate doing this because bribing people to vote completely defeats the purpose of having a vote. It feels like cheating the system.

On the other hand, they are giving away like 10 million per day or something, it's kind of over the top.... feels like if you don't vote you get left behind (that's probably the purpose)

well that sucks - however it is quite easy even with the starter craft to pull in half million a hour, and then it only scales up to the point millions are just peanuts, as soon as you get to pirate busting level.

edit: I'm rather compelled at donating money (running a server this big must not be cheap) however the donation rewards are quite out of whack likewise and it would feel cheap to get billions stuff for this.

if they were cosmetic blocks and trinkets, I'd go with it.

edit:

also, fair warning for people wanting to pick a fight with pirates
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that thing had 5 mil shield on it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:36:26 pm by LoSboccacc »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Current version of StarMade is incompatible with the old smsec file, downloading an older version now in hopes of converting.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

also, fair warning for people wanting to pick a fight with pirates
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that thing had 5 mil shield on it.

...So we've got 5mil alpha damage missile pirates. fuukin great.

Everybody join the intergalactic pirate super-empire and loot some player pinatas.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 181