Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325172 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

You could send a message to the faction "The Twelfth Bay" and make your way to sector 21, -19, 44. I would suggest using your starting credits to buy a jump drive computer+module, cloaking computer, and radar jammer. Keep the jammer on at all times, and jump there when you can. It'll take ages to charge, but as long as the jammer stays online you probably won't get murdered by surprise pirates, even if you decide to just fly there.

Also, I tried to make a sphere around a planet in single player ~257m in radius. Game crashed. Probably not a good idea to try that, but an orbital docking area should work fine.

Do note that we cannot have it connected to the planet.  If it is, the gravity extends outwards to include it.
Exactly why we should use a station; the station is not and cannot be connected to the planet, so it doesnt extend the gravity of the planet. They simply come together at the planet's surface such that we can at least jump between them. Once you step off the lift or otherwise get a block of planet plate below you, and you're within a certain distance of the planet, you will become subject to the planets gravity. But as long as you remain on the lift/station, you can enter the station/lifts gravity.

I'm going to test whether docked ships extend gravity or not, but docked ships don't necessarily stay docked like a station stays stationary... docked ships extend the distance you have to fly to escape gravity, but not how close you can get before gravity begins affecting you. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:44:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tested the Station / planet thing. It works but not as you would think.
Alot tweaking and finding right angle of planet that has surface correct way.. alot stuff and in end it looks and acts crap :)
I'm hopping in too once i get some more time.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

And don't planet move now?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Getting it aligned correctly to get a good connection to the planet is the only issue I've run into. The lift and orbital facility work fairly well.

And no, planets don't move. The sector rotates, but everything in that sector stays stationary relative to one-another.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rotating relative to the center and spinning relative to the rest of the universe.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Alright, so I totally lied about not getting out of the house today; I just didn't get out at a decent hour.

I've logged on the server and changed the power reactor setup of the home planet under burned toast's guidance, and dug us a tunnel we can expand to set up more factory systems underground.

What I'd like to discuss now is whether or not, zanzetkuken, you would let me redesign that elevator? shouldn't take too long.

It had to happen anyway. Sorry, but Burned toast was becoming agitated by it. :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:12:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

It had to happen anyway. Sorry, but Burned toast was becoming agitated by it. :P

It's not my fault I made my spaceship too big and I can't land it on the planet anymore!
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

That's what shuttlecraft are for.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Since you can't really damage a battleship with anything short of another battleship, not much, I imagine.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

That's what shuttlecraft are for.

I saw his craft.  There's no interior to store one in.  In fact, last I saw, the only ship that has an interior is one I built.

Yep. Make a small craft for the exclusive reason of landing.

I'm wondering, how effective would a large carrier-type ship with several players using fighters/bombers be?

In my experience, it is near impossible to control the fast-accelerating craft which would be used, as the barest tap can send you up several dozen meters per second when you are only trying to make a minor adjustment and if you try to weigh the craft down so this isn't a problem, the ship accelerates too slowly.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

Carriers fielding drones are actually the greatest threat the battleships atm.
A drone carrier backed up by several missile cruisers and possibly a cloaked scanner ship would be the way to go IMO.
fyi; turrets using lock-on missiles can insta-lock on a target the get a bead on.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

meanwhile, I built a refinery, an advanced factory and connected all stuff.

the container with capsule and mesh is connected as output to the refinery, the refinery gets anything refinable from the other container, refine it and then it gets pulled in the capsule container

all the other factory have their production fetching from the capsule storage, but the output stays there currently, which makes sense. better use deeper part of the bases for factory chains.

anyway, we have a shortage of the ore to produce shield (rammet and sertise). I gonna look for a blue asteroid.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

How does this sound for using the rank system?

Rank 1 - Confirmed Bay 12 forum members (People who have posted the username they are using in-thread)
Rank 2 - Known friends of Bay 12 forum members (People who have been vouched for by the above)
Rank 3 - Trusted random people from the server (So we can differentiate between new random people we decide to pick up and those who have stuck around with us for awhile.)
Rank 4 - Other
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rank 3 sounds like the spah rank.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Am I missing something or is manufacturing your own blocks really impractical?

For example if I need a shield capacitor it takes 25 rammet and 25 sertise capsules. You get 5 capsules per ore so that's 10 ore. You can sell ore for ~100 each, so the cost in materials is 1000 spacebucks.

Or I can buy a shield capacitor from the shop for.... 500 spacebucks. I could sell the ore and buy TWO shield capacitors instead of making one.

Also, you have to find specific asteroids to get the correct ore to manufacture a block. But, if you sell the crystals it does not matter which crystals you sell - they all are worth about the same amount of spacebucks (~100 each) so you can mine any asteroids, sell the ore, and buy whatever you need.

The only downside is the shop will eventually run out of shield capacitors, but you can fly around going to different shops and they also seem to restock eventually.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 181