Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325304 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1965 on: June 08, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

When I looked at a mushroom fleet video (they were testing the in-dev version schema gave them or something) the way it was explained was that the effects of the support weapon and effect set were weighted against the normal operation of the weapon, so you could have less than 1:1 ratio between them but the effects wouldn't be as strong.

Also, we can probably mod it to all hell until schema gets the balance right. Right? I could have swore there was a way to mod it...

Remember when elephants murdered all your dwarves with absolute impunity? And the time toady didn't give inorganic creatures any way to be killed? This is probably gonna end up like that. It'll probably be fixed eventually, its just a mess for the moment.

I might get the chance to mess with it on Monday. Is forsaken's server still up?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 08, 2014, 04:34:05 pm »

Blaze: Schema moved the previously-hardcoded formulas into xml, and changed a lot of things into straight linear stuff (For simplicity? Not sure).

I believe he wants the community to come up with a more balanced and playable config, which he can then replace the obviously flawed default one with.

I don't think it's possible to make weapon distance increase with additional blocks, currently, because he didn't include a variable for distance per block, but you can set the distance for weapons higher. Sector size is also 1000, and it's possible to increase that somewhere else too, so it'd be worth increasing both at the same time.

P.S. The distance on salvage beams is ludicrously low (100!), which hasn't stopped me from using them in a small permacloakable ship (29x29x29).

Power usage for shields is proportional to shield regeneration, or at least to shield capacity during regen, which it has always been, the change there is that by default the shield capacity equation is linear now, which is why you have a ridiculous amount of shield capacity.

It's entirely possible to put the previous shield equations back.
It was previously:
capacity = ((blocks*3.5)^0.66666)*350
recharge = ((blocks*5)^0.5)*50

To change shields back to the way they were in the last major version:
  • Leave ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit and ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit at 1
  • Set ShieldCapacityPow to 0.66666
  • Set ShieldCapacityPreMul to 3.5
  • Set ShieldCapacityTotalMul to 350
  • Set ShieldRechargePow to 0.5
  • Set ShieldRechargePreMul to 5
  • Set ShieldRechargeTotalMul to 50

It does not appear to be possible to change the weapon equations back to what they were before, mostly because range doesn't increase as you add blocks, radius for missiles doesn't increase as you add blocks, stuff like that.

The damage pulse appears to sit at 5 damage, 10 radius no matter how many you have, and I'm not sure if that's broken or just terrible. Its only use right now seems to be to buff cannons and missiles. (Putting it on beams is not advisable, since it increases how long they have to remain on target before doing damage...)

I don't really care for the beam damage implementation (by default must remain on target for 2 seconds before doing damage, instead of doing x damage per .1 seconds), but eh.

Planets! I flew to a planet and it took several minutes (no exaggeration) to generate all the blocks on the planet, during which my quad-core i5 CPU was running at 60-75%, and my RAM was at 70% usage (700 MB by StarMade alone). I was also able to fly my ship down to the lava surface because there were no blocks in the way yet, and then when blocks generated above me, I slid sideways and flew out through another place where blocks had yet to generate. I'm not sure how this got into a final release in this state...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:38:18 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 08, 2014, 06:04:37 pm »

Looking at the dev page, schema is definitely not done with game balance so the vanilla setup certainly isn't final.

Edit: Did you notice the "revert behavior" config xml file? That seems to have the old shield/block settings saved.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:48:39 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

theres been a few new updates since then that seem to have made more changes to the weapon config

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im surprised the game is still going
is the bay 12 multiplayer server till up ?
its now probably a midrange alpha rather than an early alpha

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im surprised the game is still going
is the bay 12 multiplayer server till up ?
its now probably a midrange alpha rather than an early alpha

Maybe. Not sure what version Forsaken is running.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138471.0

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 14, 2014, 08:06:32 pm »

ill log in and see if i can access the surver with the latest build see if anyones alive - would seem one cant connect to the servers so i guess that it is down for good the game is still being developed but player base is well meh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:09:48 pm by ollobrains »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:51 pm »

It's a game that is fun once you get a lot of money and a large number of resources and the means to obtain parts in bulk.

Getting to that point though...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:07 pm »

yeah the whole game really needs much more content and much more development work

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:58 pm »

Yah, its near impossible to get the money to start really going.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:08 am »

yeah the whole game really needs much more content and much more development work
Yeah and the AI needs a lot of work too. It doesn't even have proper dogfighting AI, once an AI ship gets in range it just sits there like a turret and shoots at you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 15, 2014, 07:15:01 am »

The true problem that limits enjoyability to me is that there is no progression

Once you set pirates, they are the same everywhere in universe and universally weak or strong

Having pirates progressively stronger from center would already add a lot to this game.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:38 am »

Yah, its near impossible to get the money to start really going.

You're joking, right?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:06 am »

Well, at least the legit way that doesn't involve dismantling an abandoned station. The stuff I usually got from planet was dirt (haha) cheap.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 15, 2014, 11:29:23 am »

Fact is the game has only two states: running from pirates and scrapping stations vs kicking pirates butts and bagging their heavy armor cubes for millions credits
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 181