Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325617 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1500 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

Damn. There goes my idea of mass ordering power cores and docking them to my station in a way to save materials and time.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »

Is it possible to freely walk on a ship while someone else is piloting?

And yeah it would be nice to be able to make modular designs by docking things onto other things.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: September 02, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »

Is there room for a noob who'd like to join up with fellow bay12-ers? Just toyed around some in sandbox, and I must say, I had good fun.
I'm interested mostly in building nice big ships, and will probably want to delve into factories and production chains as well. Is that possible on the bay12 server, or do I need to grind rescources for weeks, in a crappy ship for that first?
As it currently stands, to get a recipe to make something, you need 5000 of that something to buy the recipe in the shop, or you need to find a recipe in pirate loot, which is rare. So factories are possible, but you either need a lot of what you are going to be producing already or you need to be very lucky. Though if you do want to have a factory in this version, I could provide you with the materials to buy a recipe.

I entered the server adress found in the OP from this thread in the launcher's "Host:Port" box. Is that correct?
Or should I leave that at localhost:4242 and enter 68.55.212.49:4242 somewhere else?

It gave me a message, that that server had not updated yet. Which makes me suspect I entered it correctly, and that is because of today's update.
Yeah, you did it right, it's just that the server wasn't updated. I sent forsaken a message about it, and it appears to be on the correct version now.

Just curious: can you build missile turrets? Or are turrets restricted to direct fire weapons?
You can build turrets with anything type of weapon, but the AI won't use harvester beams and I'm not sure about targeted or heat-seeking missiles. If you want to use a turret while flying your ship, you can hit the up and down arrow keys to toggle back and forth between them and the core. (You can also use left and right arrows to switch between the core and cockpit modules, in case you didn't know.)

Damn. There goes my idea of mass ordering power cores and docking them to my station in a way to save materials and time.
It would have been inefficient anyway, since power generators work best when they are spread out as much as possible and use as few blocks as blocks as necessary to do so. If one of your power arrays is more than a block thick in any direction, you're doing it wrong.

And yeah it would be nice to be able to make modular designs by docking things onto other things.
It is possible to do so if you use a gravity module, though I have read that that can stop working at high speeds, so it's usually best to sit in a weapons computer or a docked ship.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: September 02, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

Is there room for a noob who'd like to join up with fellow bay12-ers? Just toyed around some in sandbox, and I must say, I had good fun.
I'm interested mostly in building nice big ships, and will probably want to delve into factories and production chains as well. Is that possible on the bay12 server, or do I need to grind rescources for weeks, in a crappy ship for that first?

I entered the server adress found in the OP from this thread in the launcher's "Host:Port" box. Is that correct?
Or should I leave that at localhost:4242 and enter 68.55.212.49:4242 somewhere else?

It gave me a message, that that server had not updated yet. Which makes me suspect I entered it correctly, and that is because of today's update.

Just curious: can you build missile turrets? Or are turrets restricted to direct fire weapons?

Plenty of room, be glad to have more, though I need to play more often.

That looks right, and you will probably need to wait for forsaken to update.  Theres a way to get older versions from the main starmade site if you want though.

Missile turrets are a yes and a no.  The dumbfire rocket turrets can be used with an autoturret, though it's not necessarily recommended since they don't really care if something is in the way when they unload.  AI dosn't know how to use any other kind of missile, but you could still switch to the turret yourself and fire them.

Yes you can, using a gravity block makes everything more stable, so you should probably make sure to use one before the pilot moves.  Used to be you would get punted out every sector change, but I hear that's fixed now.

EDIT: PENGUIN NINJAS!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: September 02, 2013, 02:36:11 pm »

thanks for replies. I think forsaken needs to update the server again, there just was a hotfix on top of today's update
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 02, 2013, 05:18:21 pm »

I have a concern. If you find a space station, that's like, the end of the game. The challenge is gone in that instant.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »

The game isn't really about 'the challenge'.
It's about the 'Look how much bigger and cool looking my ship is than yours, fgt.' :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1507 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »

I have a concern. If you find a space station, that's like, the end of the game. The challenge is gone in that instant.
You mean the game which is in an alpha state and barely has an economy much less content has no real challenge to it? My goodness!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »

Yes you can, using a gravity block makes everything more stable, so you should probably make sure to use one before the pilot moves.  Used to be you would get punted out every sector change, but I hear that's fixed now.

Oh dear. If that's true... All crew, report to your stations.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »

I've done a lot of traveling while somebody else piloted the ship and I walked around, and things worked mostly fine. I only was punted out once or twice, the whole trip.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:31 pm »

I'm guessing it's safer to hide in a weapon control block?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 02, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »

It is, yes.

However, you can both end up in the cockpit of the ship if you first get into a weapons control block, then use the up and down arrows to switch to a docked ship/turret (which will disable its' AI, which could be an issue) and then back to the mothership. Need a ship/turret docked to it, though.

I think it was me and glloyd that flew around in that manner in his Millennium Falcon. It's kind of a pain in the arse in the sense that if the two occupants are facing different directions as one drives and the other idles, then when the pilot opens a menu like the chat box or nav computer, the ship will forget about the direction he was facing and rotate to face the direction the other occupant is facing, and then you're all muxed up. That and it doesn't necessarily like both of you trying to fly it at once. One of you can enter build mode, though, and apparently modify the ship mid-voyage. At least glloyd did that and the server didn't implode on us...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:11 am »

What does a pulsator do?

Also, is anyone playing at all, on the bay12 server? Been hailing in ALL chat a few times without reply.
Do I need to join a faction, and use the block, to prevent others from stealing my ship when I'm offline?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 03, 2013, 08:15:03 am »

What does a pulsator do?

Also, is anyone playing at all, on the bay12 server? Been hailing in ALL chat a few times without reply.
Do I need to join a faction, and use the block, to prevent others from stealing my ship when I'm offline?

Depends when you've been going on. Press tab to see who else is on. And factioning isn't necessary. Noone that I know of who plays on our server will steal your ship.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 03, 2013, 08:41:33 am »

It may, however, be accidentally blown up. So faction or no, it's advised to only leave your ships in friendly areas. And never forget to add shields.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 181