Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325713 times)

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1065 on: August 01, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »

That's a little unfair, I haven't had problems on the B12 server before.  That said, as soon as I logged in we got the same failure to save error as before. :(

Just in good fun =P

At the time, my sector was trying to load a space station which actually failed to load. Like, part of it was visible, but most of it wasn't visible as in it wasn't loaded correctly. I was flying around it around the time that Nilius logged in, then there was the server error. Afterwards, some more of it loaded but it never loaded all the way. I also used my salvage lasers and they hit nothing just to check that the blocks actually didn't exist. Could have been a combination of something loading, while it's saving, and someone logs in. Or just logging in during a save, maybe?

I swear just as the server started to save i had also just clicked buy on, or was waiting for it to appear, a ship in the catalog as well. So yeah, likely a number of factors

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1066 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:17 pm »

Its restarting now. It will be faster if you message me when it goes down since I don't always check the thread.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 01, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »

I just checked out the StarMade forums, and could not find mention of the failure to save error, seems odd considering the number of servers and players over there. :-\
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1068 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

I just checked out the StarMade forums, and could not find mention of the failure to save error, seems odd considering the number of servers and players over there. :-\
Alpha software is alpha. We've carried this game through several versions now and errors could have creeped in.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 01, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »

So what is more space efficient, a 5x5x5 power generator (not a cube, but a 5x5x5 design that makes 9500 e/sec) or really, really long power lines (about 110 length each).

Really long power lines.

I just made this google docs spreadsheet using the power equation, which shows what you can expect with different lengths of lines (or +s, which work the same as lines with the same number of blocks), and with large 100x100x100 cubes of blocks (or smaller but still sizable cubes, or just lots of power blocks scattered around), which is the kind of thing really huge ships need to use to go much past 1 million e/sec.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »

I haven't produced a whole lot from my factories, but they at least work if you have some recipes. Which are usually bogus...

Also, your turning rate is affected only by mass, not volume. Thrusters also don't affect turning rate, only linear acceleration.

Additionally, I found another derelict player ship in (4,4,1) named "WD," in case anyone has been looking for such.
Ah, so there's nothing I can do to improve a big ship's turning speed (besides removing blocks)? That's sad.

And how are factories at pumping out large quantities of specific-colored hulls? Because I've been considering building a space galleon on the server (and don't want to have to hop between several shops to get enough materials).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:55 pm »

I think standard procedure is to sacrifice X (server config set) of an item to a shop in exchange for a randomized list of ingredients. These could be reasonable or stupid. When used in a factory, yield of a production run (and therefore efficiency) will go up with use. The number of runs done at once can be increased with extender blocks and extra power.
This is just from what I've read, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:32 am »

Until the crafting system is more sane, your best bet is finding a decent cache of what you want at a pirate base, then (ab)using the catalog to replicate as much of the parts you want as you need. Though the recipes are random - you might get something extremely useful like rock or sand to reinforced hull. In that case crafting might be neat. But you need the requisite heap of materials first, to buy the recipe.

Also, turning speed has next to nothing to do with the ship's size. If you recall, I've built a 500K-block rocket cannon. It had terrible speed. But without any engines, just the core itself, it could turn like... well, pretty much like a fighter.

Something else is at work here.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 02, 2013, 03:38:53 am »

and if you add a single engine, what happens then?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 02, 2013, 04:15:52 am »

It gains the capability to accelerate very slowly. But it still turns just as fast. Not, for instance, as fast as a fighter, but if it could fly at more than 4 speed in a straight line, it could outmaneuver my regular ships, the Tabula Rasa and the Flame Within, despite them being like 5000 blocks apiece - about 1% of what that thing was. I could swing that thing around like a miles-long cricket bat. Somebody should check if the position of the engine "cores" has any effect on turnrates.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 02, 2013, 06:17:01 am »

Am I doing this right?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 02, 2013, 06:17:36 am »

What is that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 02, 2013, 11:35:43 am »

Am I doing this right?

You are doing everything right.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:31 pm »

There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry: Lone Star!
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 181