Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325614 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Thanks for the answer guys. Where do you usually put your ship core? Is it in the bridge or on a protected spot accessible from the outside?

It depends (Ugh, how does that help?) :P. The ship core is where you enter the ship, so I like putting it in the cockpit of a ship. However, it also determines the centre point the ship will turn on.
I have one ship with it in the middle, in the main corridor floor where it looks awkward, while I have another with the core in the cockpit which means the ship pivots on it's front. Neither is really ideal to me, as I'd like to keep it central but allow secondary entrance points.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your ship core also determine docking alignment. The last half dozen pages have info about that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I usually put my ship core in a large protected room in the center of the ship.  Usually the largest room on the ship, and I usually try to make the room look like a reactor room.  Where I keep a lot of the ship's power generation and power storage.  The core is the heart of the ship, and I want the room it's housed in to look the part.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The old factories still exist, and they still have their recipes in the block editor, but ... they do nothing. Bah. Not even split minerals or turn them into the new components, and since the recipes aren't balanced with respect to input and output prices...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Finally in the final stages of development for my first truly large capital ship. Total of 14000 or some BS mass. Could do for heavier shielding, but I'm pretty much out of internal space that I really want to use. I'm in the process of peeling off the normal hull underskin and laying down a layer of shield dispersers in its' place, which should help tremendously. I used a lot of unnecessary hull blocks around structures that were supposed to be entirely internal.

Pics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

13 capital guns, a much larger number of standard large turret docks, and interior hangar space for 2 medium fighters and 4 large fighters/bombers and about a baker's dozen drones and an extra shuttle dock at the stern. The "Cathedral" along the dorsal structure (everything above the hangars) is pretty much entirely hollow still, and I could convert it for any number of uses including light fighter docks or MOAR SHIELDS. I really like having that gargantuan empty chamber with windows, though.

Now I need to declare war on the greyskins and see how well I fare against a small fleet of warships. Probably not well on my own, unless I can keep all the battlecruisers in front of me and knock them senseless before their guns do too much damage.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did some more testing with turrets docked to docking modules (firing one myself this time, and a properly designed turret instead of one with the core in the wrong place and the lines pointing non-forward). Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to get a thing that docks and points out to the side aside from mounting actual turrets on top or bottom and allowing them to swivel all the way around.

Findings:
1. Ships docked to a docking module are always oriented so that their fore is aligned with the parent ship's fore, unless the docking module is pointing fore or aft. Turret docking modules work the same way, IIRC.
2. Ships docked to a docking module appears to have the same firing angles as a turret docked to a turret docking module has available facing angles, e.g. it cannot shoot below the docking module or above a certain angle, but can shoot behind itself without having to turn at all (although you cannot turn or see in any direction other than forward if you are in it, unless you use the right-shift key, in which case the aim no longer is controlled by your mouse, making it somewhat pointless). As a player, it still takes time to move your aiming reticle to change where your shots are going. The same is probably true for the AI, but the question then is whether it is any better than using conventional turrets?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing recently, so I decided I was going to build the SDF-1 from Macross.

Here's the gist tho: it's going to be in Storm Attacker Mode!

Here's the other gist tho: both arms are going to be turrets and aim independently! (if course I'll add a crapton smaller turrets too).

Here's the thirst... er third, gist! I'm starting with both ship arms, then I'll connect them to the arm swivel turret thingy of the bigger ship.

This is what I got so far:

(I'm using an old computer at work, for some reason it makes blocks light up like xmas lights)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me and my friend were buying ships on the server. Just to check out other peoples designs and what all of you have done.

And...

He spawned inside the ship somehow, and the server got SUPER laggy. And everyones pings are really high.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing recently, so I decided I was going to build the SDF-1 from Macross.

That's not even close to 1200 meters long.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me and my friend were buying ships on the server. Just to check out other peoples designs and what all of you have done.

And...

He spawned inside the ship somehow, and the server got SUPER laggy. And everyones pings are really high.

Have him log out and log back in, and it will probably teleport him out.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And...

He has logged out/in a couple times and it didn't fix it.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's not even close to 1200 meters long.

BEEP! Wrong, the Daedalus is only 488 meters long. This is at 1/10 scale.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

And...

He has logged out/in a couple times and it didn't fix it.

Have you tried having him log out, moving the ship, then letting him log back in when it's out of the way?

In me-related news (hah!) I had a couple Harpy vs Greyskin dogfights. The first went very, very poorly for the Greyskin frigate and then destroyer, because the far-lighter Harpy ship was far more maneuverable, didn't appear to suffer from horrible lag in the manner I did, and had greater firepower. It blew the front end and two of the turrets off the frigate, leaving me to retreat (it apparently decided one of the turrets it knocked off was far more interesting) back to my homeworld to hop in my destroyer, and return for it. Once again its firepower was too much for my flying grey brick, and I was killed. Although not before the firefight took us off to gods-know-where, leaving it thoroughly out of range of my sensors once I had returned and began scouting the sectors around my homeworld. I've deemed the Harpy ship MIA and AWOL, now, and assume the Greyskin vessel to have been destroyed. So if anyone is in the vicinity of void system (-1,-2,-1) keep an eye out for a "Harpy_Heavy_Frigate" or something similar.

My second round against a second harpy frigate was far less devastating. Although the new box-shaped Greyskin combat frigate did take some damage, I eventually defeated the Harpy ship. Although, that round seemed to put the lag on the Harpy ship, meaning it was flip-flopping all over the place and ramming into the station next to it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

And...

Just out of curiosity what ship was it?  Some of the ships people made are absolutely massive, I never thought about it but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ships other people made are simply too big to safely spawn.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Got the game. Won't ever have time to play.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 181