Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325594 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Er... You need to be told how to look in the server.cfg?

Maybe he didn't know it was in there!
I did not know. Will look now.

I think I set it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I'm soo ready to join you guys on the server. Also I would like to see if there's a way to show who's on before logging onto the server.

Even though this is alpha and there will be more content, I would like to have more than two options for weapons, and I've really seen only AMC's at the moment. I would like to see a few more in ranges of something like a Plasma Lance. It would look the same as a salvage beam, but instead of having it fire forever with enough power regen, make it a VERY power hungry system. Have a few options like longer the block line longer or more powerful the beam will be. Maybe if you line it side by side with another line have it last longer per click.

It'll totally happen!

First, though, gotta fix that bug that makes the cannons refuse to allow you to rearrange their stats sometimes. And the ghost ship thingy... I spawned a ship over my planet, and it never actually showed up. Charged to my wallet, spawned physical impressions of the turrets and ships in the hangar, but never actually spawned the ship and the turrets and fighters are ghosts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I'm soo ready to join you guys on the server. Also I would like to see if there's a way to show who's on before logging onto the server.

Even though this is alpha and there will be more content, I would like to have more than two options for weapons, and I've really seen only AMC's at the moment. I would like to see a few more in ranges of something like a Plasma Lance. It would look the same as a salvage beam, but instead of having it fire forever with enough power regen, make it a VERY power hungry system. Have a few options like longer the block line longer or more powerful the beam will be. Maybe if you line it side by side with another line have it last longer per click.

It'll totally happen!

First, though, gotta fix that bug that makes the cannons refuse to allow you to rearrange their stats sometimes. And the ghost ship thingy... I spawned a ship over my planet, and it never actually showed up. Charged to my wallet, spawned physical impressions of the turrets and ships in the hangar, but never actually spawned the ship and the turrets and fighters are ghosts.

I'd like to see something like; the more powerful a laser is, the bigger and brighter the resulting shot is. It looks odd when a large ship fires these little dinky white laser lines.

Or have different ranks of laser blocks. More powerful ones require much more power to run efficiently.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

More advanced weapons design sounds good overall. I don't think the AMCs are supposed to be lasers, though; they're called an anti-matter cannon, so supposedly they launch a projectile composed of antimatter or something. It'd be 100% effective against ship hulls for sure, since matter and anti-matter are supposed to annihilate each-other and release copious amounts of energy on contact.

I hope for some supplementary weapons systems, like targeting computers which tell you where you need to be aiming to hit a target as it moves, or give missiles the same information so they can better intercept moving craft, then a sensor grid that assists in locating the targets for the computer and reducing lock-on time for missiles, both increasing in effectiveness/accuracy with blocks dedicated to them or something. Maybe also allowing KB missiles to choose appropriate targets based on relationship to your faction.
Maybe if we get ballistics weapons in the future we'll also start to see weapons block components that are designed to directly interface with the normal weapons blocks, like ammo caches that increase the number of projectiles stored for ballistics weapons and missiles and reduce time it takes to refresh that stock (so you could have a relatively small ballistic/missile weapons system that has a high refire rate/ammo capacity even though it doesn't have much damage/range/velocity per projectile.) or a heat sink system for antimatter cannons/lasers if we ever have to worry about overheating our own vessel by firing weapons.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Personal ideas for game improvements through blocks, mostly missiles:

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Installing this as we speak! I also blindly paid $3 for the full game...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Ahhhaahahahahaoh god. This is hilarious.

Okay. A little backstory. As you may know, I am performing horrible experiments in the name of science here. This one experiment called for the creation of as big a block of d1000 unguided missiles as I could reasonably handle.

I became sufficiently bored around the 500K mark. Note, this is on the server - so no admin commands, just pure determination and abuse of the blueprint purchase system.

The weapon was... quite underwhelming.
For one, the sheer amount of weapon blocks broke the tuning mechanic - no matter how I clicked the stat distribution did not change. The explosion radius was something around 60 - enough to take a bite out of a planet, sure, but nowhere near what would be expected of a missile launcher such as this. Oh sure, the ludicrous size of the thing meant that it fired something quite suitable for combat - the missiles were bloody fast and shot out at around 80RPM, not to mention the 900+ damage and ~60 destructive radius, so it was quite good at destroying planets despite not being able to do it in one shot.
But it was also ludicrously slow. I wasn't about to spend even more time amassing enough power and thrusters to make it fly at non-retarded speeds, so I just took whatever was available at the shop and steered it towards the nearest ice planet, which I proceeded to turn into a sort of a Bikini Atoll.

At that point I was quite tired, so I logged off.

Cue today. My attempt to log on is met with horrible slowdown and almost audible grinding of gears inside the servers (I could probably hear them if I weren't a continent and a half away). Apparently, when you materialize next to a half-million-block structure, the game starts encountering problems figuring out where to spawn you. And in the end, it decided to cut losses and spawn me right where the ship's core was.

Taking out a 16x16x16 chunk of the ship out to do so, core included.

So now I have a ~500K hunk of missiles that cannot be controlled - and technically cannot exist. Fortunately it can still be dismantled, which I will probably attempt. So, there. Have fun building superweapons, people, just make them out of small, manageable chunks. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

New version out, this one introduces logbooks and the background for other such non block inventory items, and completely reworks the factory system.

There is now only 1 factory block (not counting the enhancers which are still there) You buy randomized recipies from the shop by giving the shop 10000 of what you want a recipe for (10000 is base, amount varies by item) and it generates a random recipe for the item.

You then plug the recipe into your factory block, feed the factory what the recipe says you need and the factory will output the result.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Nice!

I wanted to have a carrier, but am having the hardest time docking. It appears that you always dock from the bototm of the Ship Core, is that right? I wanted to move into a hangar bay and shoot the beam straight ahead. Right now I need to point downwards, and it's just not happening. There's not enough space in my hangar bay...

Any tips?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Belly of the ship block perpendicular to the arrow that points from the docking module, I think. I forget how it orients from there.

But yes, big ships + enclosed dock is problematic. I've said this before many places. I hope it gets fixed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:19:09 pm by BigD145 »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

So I decided to finally try this thing out today. Made myself a starter ship and did some mining, then made a bigger ship with more beams to try to mine faster, found out that mining too much stuff at once puts too much strain on my poor little laptop. Then I got chased by pirates and figured I should get about to what I was planning on in the first place.

As for thoughts that aren't illustrated by screenshots, I was surprised that the gravity module covered the whole ship, including lower decks. Also, I am slowly buying up all the brown reinforced hull in my galaxy.

Now, as soon as I finish this thing and get it imported, I'll join you all on forsaken's server and start up the faction "Team_Space_Pirate_Ninja_Wizard", assuming it fits, and cut swaths of destruction across the starry seas.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

If you have credits, build a ship made of brown hull and catalog it. Then buy repeatedly. Or honestly, just buy your current ship a few times.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That green box is actually smaller than the actual size you have to play with. An 11x6x11 turret should dock to a turret docking module with no expanders (where the 6 is the direction away from the docking module). If you add a single expander, it goes up to 15x8x15. After that expanders only expand it along one axis.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

If you have credits, build a ship made of brown hull and catalog it. Then buy repeatedly. Or honestly, just buy your current ship a few times.
Yeah, that mechanic completely breaks any and all attempts at a working economy system, including the latest massive change to the crafting system (which made paints completely useless as, y'know, paints). Why craft anything when you can sell everything you don't use, then just buy everything you need via catalogues?

The catalogue system would need to be overhauled next. A good first step would be tying the cost of the blueprint to the shop block prices - for instance, no matter how much money you have to burn, if you were to pay i.e. three times the retail value of all the blocks that make up your ship to import it... I'd say that with that, and some toning-down of the pirate loot drops, there could actually be some use in crafting and scavenging for blocks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

What if instead of generating the blocks out of thin air, you had to go to a shop and use their "manufacturing suite/shipyards" to construct the ship from the shop's inventory, based on the prices of the blocks. They'd construct as much of the ship as they are able (fast, but not instantaneously), then pause for restocking from traders guild ships (or if you bring them resources you've bought/made elsewhere you could insert that into their shipyard's inventory.) Shops might as well have more impressive inventories, though, and receive larger shipments of what a ship-in-progress requires from traders guild ships. I'd additionally expect that you'd be able to set up your own shipyards at a station of your make and order inventory from the traders guild. You're no longer getting ships out of nowhere (or technically you could be if the traders guild brings goods that don't have a proper origin) and you can't spawn a titan instantaneously. You need to build it, or at least have someone else build it for you.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 181