Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325566 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

No, faction-locking to only yourself is useful. I have enough trouble when I accidentally misclick and delete something important. Other people having that ability is dangerous. However, it'd be nice to be able to, say, place down a Faction Overrider block. It works like a Faction Block, in that one can enter their faction credentials into it. However, it can be tied to most other operatable blocks, using the standard C->V method, and instead of simply making the whole object it's on tied to the faction, it only affects the blocks it's connected to.

This way, you could set down a neutral Faction Overrider in your base, and tie it to docking ports and doors, thereby allowing anyone to dock to, or operate them. Same with factories, chests, etc. You could have community/alliance bases, by starting a neutral base and allowing every faction to place down their faction overriders, in order to build their parts of the base without having them tampered with.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:10:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Somebody should really try how well some sort of double ring would work for linking objects togheter that can't be docked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd imagine it'd be pretty trivial to create "docking clamps" if opened PlexDoors allow ships through. Some standardization of landing implements, and ships could "dock", albeit shakily - as long as neither tries to move, they should be in place.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Yeah, but what if they move? How well would that work?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but what if they move? How well would that work?

You'd get warped out of collision all the time, I'm afraid.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With lag how it is - about as well as trying to move a ship with people still in it. I.e. at best the smaller ship will fall through and remain where it is.

The anti-stuckin mechanism keeps teleporting me a few sectors away whenever I sneeze the wrong way in my homebase. So unless the connection is really solid, and the movement is really slow, nothing good will come of it. It'll work best for just stationarifying ships to planets or stations.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Probably a little late but yes, ships can fly through plexdoors.  I've flown through doors in the Mirage in a scooter, and I have multiple door protected docks both at my base and on some of my ships.

So docking clamps are indeed feasible, outside of the already mentioned collision teleportation issues.

EDIT to not doublepost: In a burst of inspiration from knowing how docking works I have made a freight ship, it carries 8 11x11x11 mostly empty cubes that can be filled with whatever needs delivered.  Or it can all be stuffed in a single plexstorage and transported with a crappy little 4 block ship, but this is awesome-r.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:56:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

PTW
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

I dont want this game to go to the Star Wars / BattleStar Galactica style of thinking of all the reason why there's any capitol vessels is for the fighters. I am hoping that it will be do whatever you want and there is no real restriction other than what your imagination and java can handle.

I do want to see the ship design work as such if you're smart it rewards you. Also I think some of you dont get warfare that much. When warfare gets into a bigger area that you can fight in the bigger the battles get. In both ways in the amount of devastation and size of the weapons.

So the whole Bigger the ship wins is kinda true in warfare. If you have more space for power to power said weapons and shields well it will be stronger. Hopefully I want to see the dev work it into a smart system of gigantic ships, not "dERP de dERP!! Lawl I got a 10 km3 ship that is win".
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thing is, in single ship to single ship combat, that is true. A bigger ship just has more power, and will win - this is still true in Starmade, as long as both ships are similarly well-designed. What this change does is make the big ship appropriately vulnerable to several smaller ships, even if the smaller ships put together are equal mass to the big one. This was always true in warfare - a number of smaller ships, or smaller tanks, always outgun a single big thing of comparable cost. Making big ships exponentially more powerful as they grow just serves to obsolete the small ships, with no real added value anywhere.

Anyway.

Has anyone else encountered this kinda problem?

So, I was making a sort of a guest dock on my planet. It would have been a station inset into the planet. However, I soon realized that with pirate raids happening as often as they do, and the dumb pirates getting stuck on the planet's surface as often as they do, the dock would be in direct line of fire of the defense turrets. So I abandoned the project and exited the game as a raid was in progress.

Cue next time me loading the game, and seeing this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shot-up remains of the dock are one thing. But there's another station-ish thing that I absolutely remember taking apart, as well as.... well, a cluster of something else - stations that are just slabs of red hull set into the planet, and overlay each other. Logical solution? Salvage beam the heck out of it. Thankfully, Tabula Rasa is a mining ship.
That done, I go away on pirate-hunting business, squash another station of theirs (by the by, one of coordinates I saw that a raid was being launched from pointed to an already destroyed base... wth?), and when I return...
The red and grey hull in the inventory are what I got from salvage-beaming these off last time. What the flying funk? It's happened a few times already, and while I appreciate a renewable source of red hull, it kinda ruins my guest dock plans (this time it'll be a planet-built dock so it's immune to turrets, with only docking modules for ships being built into this kind of mini-station inside), not to mention creates a mess on the radar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:32:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

DisconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server (either connection problem or server crash)
ActualException: EOFEcveption

Any idea what that means? It shows up whenever I try to log into the server.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It usually means that you have the wrong version. Or perhaps the server is down.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

That done, I go away on pirate-hunting business, squash another station of theirs (by the by, one of coordinates I saw that a raid was being launched from pointed to an already destroyed base... wth?), and when I return...
The red and grey hull in the inventory are what I got from salvage-beaming these off last time. What the flying funk? It's happened a few times already, and while I appreciate a renewable source of red hull, it kinda ruins my guest dock plans (this time it'll be a planet-built dock so it's immune to turrets, with only docking modules for ships being built into this kind of mini-station inside), not to mention creates a mess on the radar.

I've noticed this issue as well: it appears that when you leave an area a station was in after destroying it, and return later, the station will reappear in the same place in the same condition it was in the last time it was autosaved (apparently ignoring any autosaves conducted after its destruction) I got a station in my home sector in SP that consists of two blocks floating in space, and can't get rid of it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was able to whittle mine down a little, through application of antimatter cannons and some manual labor, but they still reappear. Less numerous, and smaller, but they're still there.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

DisconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server (either connection problem or server crash)
ActualException: EOFEcveption

Any idea what that means? It shows up whenever I try to log into the server.
It means there's a ghost of you on that server.

Only way to fix it is to restart the server unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 181