Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325506 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Speaking of balance, I located a bunch of MOB_SIM ships floating near the spawn, which had "faction unknown-2" in their names. I decided to attack them, caused them all to overheat with zero resistance (they didn't even twitch), and harvested their materials. This is despite the game forbidding me to enter the ships without first overheating them. As far as I can see, this did not affect me in any way other than providing me a heap of free resources to throw around. So yeah, bug report: despite NPC ships being claimed by a "unknown faction" forbidding players using them, the AI do nothing to defend themselves.

Hopefully, the materials I gained can be thrown into a combat ship I can use to take out a pirate station.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Captain's personal stealth yacht has its berth. It's a tight squeeze and finicky to get in, but easy to get out. It's also possible to get to and from the yacht under gravity using the ship itself as stairs. I'll have to find a good angle for a screenshot. Ultimately the yacht is a frisbee. It's only three wide. I might make a thinner version that's one wide. At its best when turning tail and running. It can spin around quickly without bumping into things. Its dock is a four by eight L of enhancers and the ship core is almost directly center in the "disc".

edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have to make one alteration, but that's all within the two huge bays, accessible through the access tunnel between bays. It'll be reachable from the carrier core/bridge.

I have no freaking clue how big ships will dock now. Changing camera angles with right-shift does not angle the docking laser. I'll have to figure something out in the main hangar bays. What's the distance for the docking laser on a big ship? Is it measured from the nose or core?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:25:16 pm by BigD145 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I've noticed the faction unknown thing happening quite often on ships you log in near.   It says faction unknown and then the faction ID (which is your 'team' when you look at the tab list).  Once you go quite a distance from all members of that faction and come back their names get corrected.  It's pretty annoying when it happens to your own faction though.

As for their identity, it sounds like a couple trading guild ships I saw near 2,2,2 about a day ago.  They were just floating in space with their AIs off.

EDIT:  I think the docking laser is measured from the core.  But I have yet to see a ship too big to hit the docking laser on something, seems to have either crazy range or range based on the size of the ship.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:40:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT:  I think the docking laser is measured from the core.  But I have yet to see a ship too big to hit the docking laser on something, seems to have either crazy range or range based on the size of the ship.

The problem for me is that docking lasers hit plexdoors first. The ship has to get its core past the plexdoors to even hit the docking block or get stuck in closed plexdoors. This isn't just my carrier that suffers here. Any long bay with ships longer than a bay is tall will not be able to turn the ship to hit the docking module with a docking laser. Ships dock belly perpendicular to the docking module with the core over the docking module. I suppose I could focus more on docking big ships outside, but I wanted big ships behind the shields of the carrier when the plexdoors close.

This really came out when trying to dock the yacht in confined quarters. The yacht was built specifically to dock on edge, vertically and longways inside a confined bay. The yacht has minimum 3 and max 21 dimensions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:51:10 pm by BigD145 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I've been building my plexdoors in kind of a mesh shape with holes through it and shoot the beam through the holes, works when I use it, but I don't try to dock huge ships either.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The docking module is about 200 blocks in. The approach angle is bad on a big ship and I do not want to make holes in the ship.
Just try to torque a 400 meter long ship to hit that docking module from inside the plexdoors. Even with the core at the tip, it would be difficult.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Another oddity on the server: found an ice planet in (-5, -6, -9) that is perfectly smooth. No caverns or anything, short of the mining holes I made in a couple spots around the exterior rim. It's like a perfect hockey puck.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another oddity on the server: found an ice planet in (-5, -6, -9) that is perfectly smooth. No caverns or anything, short of the mining holes I made in a couple spots around the exterior rim. It's like a perfect hockey puck.

Did you check the other side?

Planets are two sided.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Just try to torque a 400 meter long ship to hit that docking module from inside the plexdoors. Even with the core at the tip, it would be difficult.
It's not impossible. I used to dock womp rats to my t-16 back home. They're not much bigger than 400 meters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Planets are two sided.

Yes, yes I did. I was on the top, with gravity pulling me down, not the bottom. :P

I promptly made another huge hole in it, though. Then dunamis showed up on my doorstep and the game crashed...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:59:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Planets are two sided.
Haha, that confused the hell out of me at first. ^_^

I've seen the Yogscast video, so I knew planets were supposed to have terrain, but whenever I flew to one it was just a featureless grey slab with pockets of minerals. I thought it was a bug of the current version or something. I think I examined four or five planets this way until I accidentally approached one "upside down". :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I will say that if anyone decides to make a huge ship (Say around 300m or bigger) do try to keep a distance away from planets. I got pulled into the gravity well of one planet and my frame rate dropped to 1FPS until I managed to regain orbit. I don't know if this affects other people on the server as well, and if it did, sorry about that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Well, the server did say it was unresponsive for a while, so that could have been that.

On an unrelated note. Do power-drainer beams do anything? And can AI-controlled turrets use them?

Is there a list of what AI can use?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:01:00 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Power-drain beams only work on power-related components of a ship, but I think the AI will only use AM cannons.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

AM cannons and dumb missiles, at least. Dumb missile turrets would probably do you good against capitol ships once their shields can be lowered.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 181