Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325483 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to avoid a massive quote pyramid, and to get the bad parts out of the way:

114.8*(((1000+1+1)^1.7030)/3) + 25*(1000) + 1

I realise that my notation wasn't very clear either, it should be:
114.8*((((1000+1+1)/3)^1.7030)) + 25*(1000) + 1

There was never any /z

Ahem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Taken from: first post.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127482.645

I still maintain that the first equation(in the post in the spoiler) is incomplete in gives wrong values for everything.

*facepalm*
So that, you know, things aren't done to the wrong thing.

But clearly you don't need parenthesis around the whole equation, and around single numbers?
example:
(2*((3)+(5)))=2*(3+5)

All the redundant parenthesis obscure the important ones.

Nice equations

For all it's worth I really appreciate the effort!
Thanks for writing it out nicely for me!

I see there is kind of a "tool" gap between us, since I always use Maple for any sort of advanced maths(I can recommend it, makes writing the exponents in the correct way very easy), and you are accustomed to using a TI-89, and are writing notation that can be input into said calculator.
But I am glad you closed the gap by writing a notation I can understand :)

I have a couple of question:
Is the last part after 25*, just the total block count?

I'm gonna try writing up the 1000 stick problem, and see if I got it:
Tried it, and got a very low answer... then I spotted a missing negation!
I wrote it up in my own way:

And got just over 1 mio, which is the correct answer!

Woo! Maths!
Thanks again for writing it a way I can understand.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Also, I have no idea how to make the BB missiles lock onto a target.
You have to select a target, and aim for it while the missiles are selected. The reticule with turn red and start rotating. When it is green and has stopped rotating, the missile is locked on.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

I think this might count as a beached whale.

Currently up to 3600 mass. Has a big cannon at the front that does 165k dps and has a dock for a destroyer.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But isn't huge damage on a laser only useful against shields ? Since it can hit only one block at a time anyway.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

SD cockpit cameras always only face forward. However, weapon consoles' orientations are respected for their cameras, and they even fire attached guns in the direction that the computer is oriented. Could be useful.

What exactly does 'respected for their cameras' mean? But yay, I can has broadsides!

Or Macross Missile Massacres, for that matter. Can't have one of those without Roboteching missiles. Still, it seems a bit inconvenient to need a different computer for each direction. And if you can't rotate cameras, then it's kinda useless. :V

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea a ship actually designed for multiple crew would be a force to be reckoned with, pull to the side to get away from the front AMCs only to be smacked with a full broadside of a dozen large AMC cannons or rockets. It could also effectively use heat seekers, as manned side and rear AMC cannons remove the need for anti fighter turrets that confuse the heatseekers.

With just a pilot it would be weak for it's size though. All that space taken up by weapons they can't fire from the cockpit.  That's probably why noone really builds with crew in mind...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Instead of broadsides, I'd implent huge-ass turrets with their own power supply to be piloted by players. Obviously other smaller turrets too, but imagine a giant turret equipped with missiles and AM cannons. Missiles that it ACTUALLY FIRES.

E: If you find a shop with a little salvage ship called "Scooty" on top of it, please don't dissasemble it, it's mine. Also, I dissapeared from the server because my computer overheated and I bluescreened.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Yea a ship actually designed for multiple crew would be a force to be reckoned with, pull to the side to get away from the front AMCs only to be smacked with a full broadside of a dozen large AMC cannons or rockets. It could also effectively use heat seekers, as manned side and rear AMC cannons remove the need for anti fighter turrets that confuse the heatseekers.

With just a pilot it would be weak for it's size though. All that space taken up by weapons they can't fire from the cockpit.  That's probably why noone really builds with crew in mind...

I did as much with a shuttle I built. It has a pair of small laser cannons on the back with a weapons core linked to them.

I've been wondering about the turrets and weapons cores. It would be neat if there was a way to link a cockpit to a weapons core, that way you could have all the weapons core's in a single location and have your view move over to the cockpit linked.

While I'm sure you can't at the moment, being able to link core to weapons located on turrets while the core is within the main ship would be useful as well.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it doesn't bother anyone else, this is for ank:
Edit: Well that spoiler-in-a-spoiler completely broke. :V
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turrets do seem more useful with one person than using weapon consoles (and don't have the "my aim is not centered" flaw), but weapons run by weapons consoles have the advantage of actually being under the protection of the ship's shields. Mind you, I'm assuming the guns attached to the rotated consoles fire in the right direction.

It would be amusing to have a weapons console with a battery of rear-firing d1000s for blowing away anyone foolish enough to chase you and weak enough shield-wise to not endure the blast ... I wonder if they'll fire backwards from the core too? Testing time!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:58:36 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I'm saying GIANTASS turrets. And by that I mean that they have their own shields etc.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I will say that an advantage of turrets over at least me is the computer is much more accurate than I am. Starmade needs a more complete targeting system, like in X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter where the reticule turns green when you're leading in the right spot. At the moment the reticule only turns green when you've got the cursor over the top of the enemy ship.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:03:00 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The AI is indeed quite good at taking down fighters with what amounts to bullet hoses.

Conclusion: They only fire the way the console is facing if you're actually firing them from the console. Fired from the core, they fire forward.
Also, when I was in the core and set my view to a camera, then got out and got in a weapons console, my view immediately relocated back to that camera, which is interesting and probably a goodbadbug!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SD cockpit cameras always only face forward. However, weapon consoles' orientations are respected for their cameras, and they even fire attached guns in the direction that the computer is oriented. Could be useful.

What exactly does 'respected for their cameras' mean? But yay, I can has broadsides!

Or Macross Missile Massacres, for that matter. Can't have one of those without Roboteching missiles. Still, it seems a bit inconvenient to need a different computer for each direction. And if you can't rotate cameras, then it's kinda useless. :V

Right ctrl rotates camera view. Or maybe it was right shift. I forget.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Now I'm tempted to actually try this so that I make a super-anachronistic and inefficient space galleon and become a space pirate! Though I'm still a bit put off because it sounds like this game is currently buggy as shit.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right ctrl rotates camera view. Or maybe it was right shift. I forget.

Mouselook1 is kind of buggy at the moment, in that it doesn't use your ship's current orientation as the basis for its rotation of the camera, but uses the world orientation instead, which means your view gets all kind of confusing when you try to use it if you aren't currently oriented with the same 'up' axis as the universe itself (which you can accomplish by pressing c... frequently).

• The control leaves something to be desired, but to make it semi-sensible, you can remap your middle mouse button (e.g. Logitech Gaming Software, or a macro-writing program, etc) to send rshift when pressed, until such time as StarMade gains the ability to map mouse buttons to actions directly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:30:18 pm by Shadowlord »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 181