Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325184 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I've looked at some Google images of what people have made in this. It's already quite impressive, there's Battlefleet Gothic ships, of course Star Wars and Star Trek. There's a recreation of the SpaceStation 13 layout.

We should work together on creating some kind of carrier ship for small aircraft. Do turrets work on swivelling bases or are they more just automatic laserpoints?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Have you seen those things attached to pirate stations? Those are turrets. Basically they work like docking gear, but they allow you to rotate the ship around. Combine this with an AI unit and you have an automated turret with shields, missiles, lasers, what ever else you want to put on them. Without the AI they can still be operated by a person though.

The biggest problem is that a single good missile can usually destroy the block it attaches to, thus leaving the still functioning turret floating away uselessly through space. Not sure if you can equip space stations with shields, but if you can you better have a damn big battery of them.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The biggest problem is that a single good missile can usually destroy the block it attaches to, thus leaving the still functioning turret floating away uselessly through space. Not sure if you can equip space stations with shields, but if you can you better have a damn big battery of them.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that missiles ignore shields.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

We should, at some point, have some battles using only small, fast, shieldless fighters. Hovering in place and dropping the hammer is all well and good, but actually having to dodge is fun.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you seen those things attached to pirate stations? Those are turrets. Basically they work like docking gear, but they allow you to rotate the ship around. Combine this with an AI unit and you have an automated turret with shields, missiles, lasers, what ever else you want to put on them. Without the AI they can still be operated by a person though.

Haven't tried this yet, but why not make a curtain drop down from the turret to protect the link block. So, side view cutaway

Code: [Select]
#######
#__%__#
#__%__#
#__%__#
_%%%%%_
%%%%%%%
The curtain would stop the direct shot ability of missiles, and the build up lower down would also prevent it. Of course, you can make everything thicker to prevent it even more.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

To protect against a single lucky shot by a mission or otherwise at the junction block for a turret, you could use a small bastion wall around it of heavier metals.  Its a good shielding spot, especially if you need just those few moments to keep the turret alive and destroy or disable the attacker.  Couple of blocks high, maybe two or three thick; spaced just far enough that it doesn't interfere with the turret rotation but close enough to make hitting the joint extremely difficult on anything at range. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Anybody on the server, if you see the most epic looking ship flying around attempting to manage a shallow corner, that would me Mech.
I'm flying around in my magic space box giving out presents to all the good boys and girls. They were made by my pirate elves.  :D

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Anybody on the server, if you see the most epic looking ship flying around attempting to manage a shallow corner, that would me Mech.
I'm flying around in my magic space box giving out presents to all the good boys and girls. They were made by my pirate elves.  :D

It looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From my limited test: re, firing missiles into a clone of my ship,  it appears that the shields do indeed protect, as those missiles hit but did nothing, shooting untill the shields were down and then firing missiles into it worked though

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Ok, I'm getting too fed up with my internet connection. Night guys!
For anybody that doesn't know at 0, 0, 0 there is a space station, and it has a blue hallway. Inside are a load of chests. I put a ton of items in there, they are free for anybody to use. Hopefully for more than just selling, but if you do need credit there is enough there to reach the cap several times over.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From my limited test: re, firing missiles into a clone of my ship,  it appears that the shields do indeed protect, as those missiles hit but did nothing, shooting untill the shields were down and then firing missiles into it worked though

I guess the pirate I shot missiles at had crappy shields then. I'll have to do some testing to see how much shields are needed to stop a missile.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Any one interested in a Bay12 carrier contest? You know for a design for a carrier... for us, bay12ers?

can ridiculous, inefficient, and generally dorfy (encouraged actually) or can be economical and smart (fuck dat, amirite?)

EDIT: if anyone IS interested, I think we'll have to have categories for gravity and non-gravity, because they both have they're respective pros and cons
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:25:13 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny you should say that, 'cause last night I made this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently just the hangar space is done.  The one turret is the first of 6 heavy turrets and 8 smaller ones will be added to the rear command/engineering section.

Has docking for 44 small fighters, can be we worked to dock larger ships but you are limited by what will fit into the front.

Edit: One problem with the design so far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The pilot doesn't have a good view.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:06:31 pm by Shooer »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

well just awesome, don't forget about plex doors and cockpits though, those solve both of your problems!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

So fun fact for anybody building a ship.
The sides of blocks aren't rendered if they aren't next to a transparent block, as such if you have your ship as a solid block, with the viewpoint in the middle of back, you will be able to see through your ship. Now here is the cool bit: If you are in a fight and have a few blocks taken out, it will render the blocks on the side of the missing one, and it gives this really cool effect that looks like your windscreen has cracks.

Just for a bit of immersion.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 181