Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325299 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Server is back up, and that auto restarter thing doesn't work. I'm looking at why.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The pvp rules are : only when mutually agreed.

By the way, Poltifar, I like the lighting inside your destroyer !

The lighting inside the destroyer started off as purely utilitarian, as I was too poor to afford proper lights and happened to be living on an ice planet, so I thought I might as well use the local plentiful natural lighting :P

Also, I am sad about those PvP rules, as I have a highly experimental cloaking+jamming frigate I wanted to test out in PvP as a pirate, but oh well :P
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

Aaaaugh the incorrect use of power blocks in that last pic of the station huuuuurts :P

Though a question about server rules: What are the rules for PvP? Only allowed when mutually agreed on, or can I be a pirate gunning down people for ransom/loots? :P

What is incorrect, and why it hurts?
Just power blocks placed for shields...

Also we mutually agreed with Greiger on a fight.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

Aaaaugh the incorrect use of power blocks in that last pic of the station huuuuurts :P

Though a question about server rules: What are the rules for PvP? Only allowed when mutually agreed on, or can I be a pirate gunning down people for ransom/loots? :P

What is incorrect, and why it hurts?
Just power blocks placed for shields...
Power blocks don't act like other things. What matters is their bounding area, rather than their amount together. So:
Code: [Select]
X - Power Block

XXXX is more efficient than XX
                            XX

You can keep efficiency while not putting them in a straight long line by putting them like
    XXXXXX
   XX
XXXX

But if it doubles back
 XXX
XX XX
it loses efficiency.

You can lose quite a bit of power by connecting two long strands of power blocks. The most efficient way is thin long strands that go very far.

And the cube you showed is literally the mathematically least efficient way to place the blocks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing.
Code: [Select]
Even though the bounding area is the important thing

X
X
XXX

is not better than

XXXXX
EDIT2:
And an observation while I was figuring this out(or more like confirming), efficiency grows as the line of blocks gets longer, but the first block creates more power. If you cant create a length of 10 blocks(actual number found by testing, not eyeballed), then its better to keep them all seperate(1 block generators).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:26:29 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At one point I figured out the equation that the powerblocks used (had to piece together information from old news posts and the wiki, the exact equation isn't given in any one place). I don't have it written down nearby right now, but I remember that I found that the peak power-gained-per-block is achieved at around 396 total X-Y-Z size, where you'll be getting around 1600 more regen PER BLOCK added. If falls off after that, so I'd estimate that if you want really large ships with really efficient power, aim for each power conglomerate to have around 500-600 blocks. I'd do a proper analysis of what's exactly the most efficient amount of blocks if we'd assume we were aiming for as large a ship as possible, but I figure there's no real point since that's already way more power than you'd ever need :P

On a related note, for those who want perfectly cloaked ships: You need 1 cloaker to make the ship invisible, and 1 radar jammer to make the square/triangle thing on the HUDs of other players that points to your ship disappear (I believe cloak alone is enough to throw off AIs though, at least pirates). You need 100 power per second per block for cloaking, and 50 power per second per block for jamming. So you notice quickly that for a proper cloaking ship, you need as much power as possible from as few power blocks as possible (as each power block also needs to use power to be cloaked and jammed itself). As such, I'd recommend that any power conglomerate in a cloaky ship be at LEAST 30 X-Y-Z long (after 21 blocks, each added block adds 300 or more power, meaning each added block can support cloak+jam on itself and 1 other at the least).

Strangely, that does mean that it's easier to make very large cloaky ships than very small ones, as it is very hard (perhaps even impossible) to squeeze out enough power in a ship with a small X-Y-Z bounding box
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:44:25 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Clever. Probably thats why my ship was power-inefficent. Will fix my battlecruiser and all my vessels. Now they will pack more punch for their size.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could make a PVP quadrant.

An area of space where PVP is outright allowed.

Like for example 10-20, 10-20, 10-20

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Yes. We could call it the Free-fire zone or something. And it would be amazing.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forsaken1111, i dont know if you know, but normal players can mess with admin catalog settings. You can delete EVERY entry from catalog, and add EVERY entry to enemy ship pool. With some bigass ships here, it would be a disaster for battlecruisers o' mine flying around killing people. Or that bigass ship Harvey built.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anyone have bases in the 10-20, 10-20, 10-20?

Should it be 10-30?

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, does anyone know if the AI knows to use cloaks on a ship when available? Haven't tried giving them a cloak ship yet...
<@Akroma> eh

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, Poltifar, I made Starcraft wraiths and they dont use cloaking.

Also THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THAT MY DESIGN IS INNEFICENT!
By removing 4 power blocks (unclustering the whole power section) my battlecruiser's power recharge changed from 65000-something to 100000-something. And i removed unneeded power sections and put shields, guns or whatever there. MASSIVE improvement. Now i know why everyone had similiar stats with smaller ships:p.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok so here is the proposal that won't come into effect until it is added to the topic post (the original post).

The Sectors of 10-20, 10-20, 10-20 Are hereby PVP zones. Full deadly force is allowed in these sectors

If these ranges need to be changed or enlarged, you may say so.

My personal opinion would be that any thing 10+, 10+, 10+ should be PVP section.

If you are wondering why 10? Because some people built within 5 of the starting spot.

Though I would still like input of the better range. 10-20, 10-20, 10-20... Or 10-30, 10-30, 10-30... Or 10+, 10+, 10+
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:24:29 pm by Neonivek »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

No, Poltifar, I made Starcraft wraiths and they dont use cloaking.

Also THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THAT MY DESIGN IS INNEFICENT!
By removing 4 power blocks (unclustering the whole power section) my battlecruiser's power recharge changed from 65000-something to 100000-something. And i removed unneeded power sections and put shields, guns or whatever there. MASSIVE improvement. Now i know why everyone had similiar stats with smaller ships:p.
Yeah, the new power system is kind of silly.

For those that don't know.

Power Generators are most efficient when there are no other power generators adjacent to it.
Shield Generators/Thrusters are full power anywhere.
I like to make power/shield generator checkerboards for efficiency.

Weapons get a connection bonus.
Power storage gets a connection bonus AND a dimension bonus. The more cube-like it is, the higher exponential power storage multiplier it has.

On the flip-side, an individual battery gives 1 storage (Compare to the ship core's base 20,000). Don't bother putting batteries on small ships.

Edit: Know Is Server I Down Am.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:39:25 pm by Blaze »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Love the Idea of a free for all zone.  Though at the moment there probably isn't much reason to go out there.  If people have stuff in all the 10s why not have it in the -10 and belows?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 181