Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325051 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2475 on: July 12, 2015, 12:39:44 am »

Anybody have any tips for a newbie?

The game uses some sort of frame-based system for determining efficiency, so you want things like power generators to be in weird cube patterns and then build your ship around those. And if you are using factories, give them some capacitors.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 12, 2015, 01:03:22 am »

More precisely, power generators get a bonus to the power they produce as a group, but only the dimensions of the group matter for determining that bonus. So its best to have long lines of generators. Any line shorter than 9 blocks probably isn't going to help too much, and for really, really small objects individual generators actually work better than little groups of 2-3. After achieving 1 million e/sec generation you stop getting further grouping bonuses and instead just get a flat 25 e/sec per block.

Power capacitors get a group bonus determined by total number of blocks, so its best to try to connect all your capacitor groups together, although if that compromises other systems it can be ignored.

Shields and thrusters and most other systems don't matter as far as grouping. Weapons don't get a damage bonus for a group, the damage per block is a flat rate, but they do use more power the more groups they're split into. Still, a battery of several missile silos is often worth it. Scanners are supposed to get some sort of bonus for grouping, but they don't do much anyway because the stealth/detection/exploration mechanics aren't fully implemented.

Edit:
Crash:

I accidentally broke an omega when autosave. Mostly fixed now, still needs a little bit of touching up. Should be completely fixed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:50:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: July 14, 2015, 10:10:35 am »

n.p. it's a risky system. I've taken to running a stopwatch to time autosaves while operating all three one at a time from the cart/control ship. It takes 1:10 - 1:20 to harvest one completely but when a bit of bad lag kicks up I've been sweating it out at the four and a half minute mark by the last one. Also had a server shutdown where I finished the Alpha unit 15 sec before kick though I don't if it would autosave during reboot, probably.

I think I will install some display modules with operation instructions in the control rooms.

Also; there is the possibility to construct a fourth after we determine what other expensive block types we might want. I'm considering rail mass enhancers for one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:56:24 pm by Crashmaster »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:43 pm »

I've taken the monolith shells and installed AMS turrets on them, because they were convenient. The omega monolith was rebuilt with some power capacitors and other junk included, because I couldnt think of anything else to do with it and had a lot of space left after all the computers and modules.

Also, an admin, Linwe, ran a "tournament" today which was more like a 4-way free-for-all, identical fighters provided by him. Gave out prizes, too, and even awarded me 1mil credits just for losing horribly in fourth place. They got my weapons computers and power generators and I had to surrender first, although only five minutes afterwards, when I finally decided the pulse module and secondary computer I had left weren't doing anything with the capacitor drained.
Another contestant had the same problem a bit later and came in third, and the third actually kept up until his ship overheated, which didn't take long at that point. Didn't die, so it's good to know that's working. Of course, the last guy was the one who didn't even lose his shields, because the rest of us were focusing on each other. He got the 40mil grand prize, and second got 10. It was quite fun, and Linwe mentioned he intended to host more in the future. :)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: July 14, 2015, 10:55:10 pm »

Sounds ok, I left power capacitors out of the original since they seemed actually easier to manufacture in large quantities but whatever. At least you avoided slopey bits, the Omega site seems to have problems with slopey bits. I think the beam alignment in Omega is poor and led to left-over slopey blocks of many types in its test run which led to a race to the salvager against the ol' impending autosave.

It seems the lag they create may only be local graphical lag due to the beams and blue-salvage-progress boxes (turning draw beams to off didn't help though). Chat always notices lag I notice but didn't cause, but no-one ever speaks up when I'm running the thing every five minutes by re-logging and it never causes ping spikes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 14, 2015, 11:27:28 pm »

I have a question for those of you who are more deeply involved with this game; Is it possible now to create a carrier type ship with A.I. controlled starfighters that can undock and redock?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:26 pm »

No.  You want to redock, you have to get out and manually do so, then re-enable the fighters' AI through either their own BOBBY core or the mothership's menu.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: July 15, 2015, 10:43:27 am »

However, the carrier can still be a advantage by deploying drones regardless. Tactically, a swarm of drones whose combined mass is at least 30% that of their opponent will likely defeat their opponent, because while all drones would be focused on the target the target cannot focus on all drones at once and cannot rotate as quickly as the drones could after destroying one target. About 30 drones is reportedly enough for swarm behavior. They kinda spread out on their own. Strategically, you can leave swarms of drones just sitting in a sector you want to defend. Even though they won't last forever, they will make it a pain in the ass to operate in that sector.

Even if you don't bother recovering them, they can still give you an edge over a larger opponent. Expending the energy to recover them and replace losses is what I intend to do, and I think it'll prove beneficial. I'm building a ship that doubles as a drone carrier now on the server. (The big grey Koboltite.)
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: July 15, 2015, 11:53:58 am »

hey, would you be interested in holding a drone fight competition? I have my own design, I'd like to pit it against something comparable. mine has mass around 50 or something, need to check after weight changes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: July 15, 2015, 03:51:32 pm »

Sure, sounds cool. I'll be on in a bit.
I make Spellcrafts!

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: July 15, 2015, 09:36:47 pm »

I might join in on this,  server is elwyn eternity, correct?

Edit:  ... or I would if starmade would actually launch after connecting to the server, no error, just fails to load the game after the initial synchronization bit, no errors showing up

Edit the 2nd: working now, just had to force a re-download of the game
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:00:56 pm by bluejello »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »

It's EE, yes. Faction name is The Twelfth Bay, you can find the coordinates on the faction page, and send Zanzetkuken a mail in-game. I'm not sure when or if he'll be on again, though.
I make Spellcrafts!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: July 15, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »

HELP HELP I FORGOT HOW TO STARMADE
HOW DO I MAKE GUNS WORK D:
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: July 15, 2015, 11:59:02 pm »

Edit: Few corrections with the keyboard shortcuts:
Place down a weapon control block and make sure it is highlighted with a pulsing orange outline by pressing C when it is targeted.

Now place the cannon blocks as you wish. They should be placed with a pulsing purple outline. This means that they are linked to the weapon control block.

Once all of the cannon blocks you want are placed, go into flight mode and press T. It'll bring up a menu listing all weapons and similar. Drag the weapon control block to the numbered slot you wish on your toolbar, exit that menu and press the number. Fire the cannons using left mouse click for aimed or right for unaimed (Fire at the central targeting recital or fire straight forwards from the cannon itself).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:07:15 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:08 am »

They changed server jump drive conf or so it seems and now it sucks.

Took five minute to jump 200km, about fifty at a time
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 181