Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325049 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2460 on: July 03, 2015, 10:53:54 pm »

Planets are also multisided with 10 faces I believe and varying size.

The game is still rather resource heavy. The default settings I found caused the game to eventually start lagging due to memory limitations. The base game is set for 32bit, but some setting modifications on the first pop-up window (the update one) under memory settings means that I can make better use of the 8gb RAM my computer has.

They're 12 sided, actually.

Personally, I only have 64-bit java installed, so I don't have to worry about it running through the wrong one, or about java being a security hole in my 32-bit web browser. It still occasionally says it's running out of memory, but for me, that's because I really am running out of memory (or rather it gradually manages to use more and more until it is using too much), not because the memory settings are set too low (I still haven't upgraded to more than 4 GB of RAM).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 04, 2015, 11:50:36 am »

Next update will see a change to how missiles work.

This is the best image I have at the moment to detail it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The target is made of a 10m thick plate of grey advanced armor, behind it was a block of power reactors.
In the upper right you can see two small holes, both made by my 10mil damage/missile missile/pulse combo. The missiles penetrated 3 blocks into the armor, but the armor HP pool absorbed 50% of the damage.
In the upper left, is the first shot that cracked the armor HP pool. It still didn't penetrate the armor itself.
The bottom left corner shows a shot that hit the armor without a hitpoint pool to absorb damage. Any system blocks behind it would be drilled through at the diameter of the hole in the last layer of armor penetrated as shown here:

The central hole is what it looks like after a second round has penetrated, destroying a ~100m diameter section of systems blocks, and some armor on the inside.

All the little holes are from a cannon/pulse combo I was testing simultaneously. It penetrates advanced armor, and systems, extremely effectively as well, with only 2k blocks in both cannon and pulse separately.
Here's a shot that wen through the plate (second target) widthwise, for maximum length:
Upper shot penetrated without armor HP pool, lower with it. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this case, because the cannon had enough damage behind it to bore to its maximum extent either way.

So the nuke will still nuke, if it hits system blocks. However, you CAN armor your craft to withstand a serious multi-million-damage assault, if you have a high armor HP pool and take advantage of actual, serious capital ship armor plates on key points or multiple-meter thick armor all-around.

It's also important to note my missile system was only a few thousand blocks in total size, but relied on a still larger power capacitor. The cannon totaled 4k blocks. no effects were used in either, and targets were unshielded.

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 04, 2015, 11:54:43 am »

Ok, downloaded it and it looks so good compared to when I last played!

I have questions though.

1) Should I process all my ores, rocks, and crystals into capsules? Or should I save some, which, how many, and why?

2) What is a good place for a base?

3) What is the point of a build core? It's more expensive and doesn't sound like it does anything better than the ship core.

4) Can I make mines that automatically follow those not of my faction?

5) What good are plants?

6) How do I heal myself?

Also, there has been something bugging me about the game that I think I've worked out. Rarity. I don't like the idea that everything everywhere is just as valuable as all the other stuff, other than what color you want. Hopefully I am mistaken and there are rarer ores and crystals, maybe rare planets?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 04, 2015, 12:09:27 pm »

1) as far as efficiency goes, you get more stuff and flexibility by selling everything and buying what you need. If you want to build stiff trough factories anyway, rammet and sertise are the most rare and are used in shields. Hylat is for cannons and therens for missiles, other stuff you probably don't need or use the basic elements. Zercannen is used for red armor :p

2) asteroid respawn. See point 1, find a nice combo and build the base at an angle where you can salvage them all

3) you need the build core on stations to build them. Only station can be faction home base and be invulnerable

4) Bobby so with ship configuration on a ship. More drone than mine, but is the closest.

5) nothing

6) I think only trough a friend shooting you healing beams

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 04, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

You can be healed through medical cabinets/supply cabinet blocks, which you can place on any structure. They heal ~10hp each every 20 seconds, iirc.

A simple, automated ramming mine will be difficult to do right now, as AI will not try to ram anything. They need a weapon other than a damage pulse to target anything. If they have no such weapon, they will do nothing. If they do, they will sit at the edge of their longest-ranged weapon's firing range from the target (so if their longest-ranged weapon is an 8km missile, they will maintain a distance of 8km).
To get AI to ram, you need the AI active, but have only one/no thrusters on the ship, and a push module system linked to a logic clock to constantly cycle. The push clock, if it can overpower the thrust, will shove the ship inexorably forward, and it *MIGHT* ram something. But it will need some form of weapon system onboard just to actually target something. If it has a warhead strapped to the front, then if it collides with something, the warhead should detonate, and could deal some structural damage if the target had less than 50k shields.
However, a "mine" doesn't really work if its already flying through space at max velocity because your push effect clock is already cycling, so you need a method to activate it ONLY when enemies are available, which gets complicated.

However, you can set up a mine field of warhead blocks that are part of a single ship somewhere in a sector, that doesn't even use AI. If something tries flying through the minefield, they have a chance of hitting one of the warheads and being blown up. The ship would show up on their radar, however, unless a player was physically inside it to operate a radar jammer module. They might not care, however, if it's not named "mine_fieldb0002819r480" and is neutral, and of course the AI is too stupid to care about something not piloted/AI-controlled, factioned or not. Players who spot lone neutral ships floating in space will often think "FREE STUFF LOL!" and might not approach with any degree of caution, especially since a few warhead blocks floating off to the side would be difficult to spot sometimes. Which might result in a successful kill, or at least some damage. If you're lurking nearby, cloaked, that could be your cue to begin your bombing run.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:17 pm »

Promotions Time!

I nominate myself and/or Eric Blank (on the most as far as I know) for faction level promotion.

I want to claim one of our neighboring systems that has a profitable asteroid belt but I need a higher faction rank to do so. The Sertise must flow!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:00:05 pm by Crashmaster »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 08, 2015, 07:06:45 am »

I nominate myself and/or Eric Blank (on the most as far as I know) for faction level promotion.

Whelp, you got me on the week I'm out of town and don't have an ability to use my Starmade account...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 08, 2015, 07:50:37 am »

Someone said that it's more reasonable to sell all your stuff at a shop and buy everything. Is that true? Normally putting effort and time into making what you want would yield more than selling and buying.

Also, are there servers that DON'T give you an absurd amount of materials and cash at the start? Does bay12 have a server? (I'm assuming the OP is old)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:44:38 am by Micro102 »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:52 pm »

I find mining/ manufacturing has great yields except in some areas; shield capacitors and punch-through modules/ computers (due to low probability of blue asteroids), cannon and ion blocks (due to lower then average probability of ice asteroid).
So I buy this stuff and advanced armor (resource intensive to make) whenever I see it funded buy selling off all the stuff I make from undesirable resources like cameras, display modules, gravity modules, shop modules and of course the cheap to make stuff like power reactors, capacitors and thrusters.

Pirate fighting and salvaging is the most profitable for time invested though I think.

Not sure about common server starting equipment but we are playing on sm.elwyneternity.com:4242 home-based at 22 -17 54 come on by!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 09, 2015, 01:26:54 am »

Blowing up pirates while cloaked by lightly tapping them with a couple warheads works wonders.

Speaking of pirates, someone stole an admins prototype ship, and when it was not returned, the admin recreated it and set it as a new pirate ship. So now we have a 14k mass pirate with 7mil alpha damage. It is all of the fuck. Vindictive admins are all of the fuck.
I make Spellcrafts!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 09, 2015, 10:12:18 pm »

I'm having trouble jumping onto the B12 Server.

I don't seem to be having the same problem with other servers, even ones with the same port.

Is there something I'm missing when adding the server information?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 09, 2015, 11:07:57 pm »

The OP is old and the B12 Server is no longer running.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:21 am »

Right now were running on elwynn eternity, under zanzetkukens directive (or lack thereof. Who will lead us now!?)

I'm throwing most of the available gear at a simple, but large, craft I'm in the process of building. Its simply going to grow as I acquire more crap to tack onto it, so I'm doing most of the interior stuff now, upfront, including bridge and hangar. I just haven't had the chance to get on this week.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:40:41 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 10, 2015, 02:39:31 pm »

During my investigation of a mining bug I my have stumbled upon the secret to infinite shield capacitors or other blocks. Science will be conducted at a nearby remote research station this space weekend.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:56 pm »

Anybody have any tips for a newbie?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 181