Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324978 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #2445 on: June 22, 2015, 04:13:27 pm »

oh, right

los, the settings did help, but i guess i'm going to need to bother with upgrades in the end

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 22, 2015, 05:08:08 pm »

Yeah, it was PMs. Apparently the reciever has to open a PM window with the person they got a PM from in order to see that chat box, otherwise it only shows up in the general chat, and can get swamped by the rest of the crap on there, which is of course all displayed in grey. So if you didn't see the little blue message when it showed briefly on your screen, it's possible you'll never notice.

Anyway, I murdered several pirates, looted them for great justice, lost a little bit of the loot when a chest got shot out (But I didn't instantly die! Hurray!) and brought the remainder back to home base. We now have copious amounts of junk.

I've been working in the factory to produce basic building materials for the station. About 33k grey hull with some wedges, several colors of lights crystals and rods, and some doors and glass have been produced. Each factory at the moment produces 665 per tick. It's acceptable, but I intend to ensure the suites on the outer side work a little faster.

edit:

We have a room adjacent to the core room where we can link buttons/activators. Also has a meeting table and access to Zanzetkuken's ship.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:07:37 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: June 22, 2015, 07:19:52 pm »

meanwhile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:39 pm »

Arriiiiiggght!

Did some pirate clubbing again today, and made off with copious amounts of loots. So many loots I don't have time left to unpack them all, but they're docked in our brand new fighter hangar (with room for ~15 more mid-size fighters and 12 tiny ones) if you're looking for cheap crap wonderful things! Sold a large quantity of computers for 15 mil, plus 12k shield rechargers. We now have enough shield rechargers to handle pirates, assuming the old information is still roughly accurate. Still need copious amounts of capacitors, though.

Next time, I'll see what I can do about a defense turret or two, maybe even a proper warship, then proper docking areas for the proper warships.

I have also learned, from an unreliable source (some dude on the server by the name of Jango_Fett), that there is some form of exploit that allows vessels docked to a home base to be destroyed regardless. We need to figure out how this exploit works, and how to defend against it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 23, 2015, 10:22:40 pm »

The old exploit was jamming a core between the ship and docking block at high speeds...

I've had good success with pirate hunting so far too. The cloaking mechanic works so much better these days. Took a nearby alpha station, two linebacker corvettes and numerous fighters and salvaged them all (except the station) without breaking cloak once.

I don't seem to ever see any loot clouds though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: June 24, 2015, 12:25:17 am »

Loot cloud only spawn if you do the killing, turrets do not count

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: June 24, 2015, 01:02:05 am »

It can be insanely hard to find them as well. But that's space for you.

I've been clubbing them with warheads. Being in such close proximity means its a lot easier to spot the loot if any is created, and there isn't necessarily going to be any.
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 24, 2015, 06:50:26 am »

The old exploit was jamming a core between the ship and docking block at high speeds...

now there are couple corner cases with torches:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/3asf1b/psa_ships_docked_to_a_nonhome_station_can_be/

to be fair, it seems to be working as intended to me, with the exception that torching should trigger war if the faction was configured to declare war on hostile action (so that boarding turrets can do their work. because you added those now right? :D )

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:18 am »

Does that exploit work on home bases as well?

I'm having trouble finding anything about damaging ships docked to homebases still.
I make Spellcrafts!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 24, 2015, 02:08:11 pm »

People can access and move my ship around now.  Went on last night to change the faction block permissions I put on it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 25, 2015, 01:33:25 am »

detailing is taking a lot of time, however, I think it's coming along quite well

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »

Looking good so far, i guess. Just needs more curves. :P

[edit]

More loot acquired and sold for ~10mil credits plus ~10k shield caps and 7k rechargers. Very productive run, Losboccacc, would fly fighter screen again :P

Would like to know what's causing the crashes, though. Pain in the ass, but at least with friends around the pirates have someone else to bugger while you get back in your ship that's floated 5km away

[double edit]

Station has six USD type-1 docks now, burnedtoast boat is on the end of one, the toastmobile is in the hangar

I'm trying to set up item sorting so the storage room isn't such a mess, it's taking a while though. Currently only raw materials and crystals, circuits, motherboards and a few basic station/ship components have a proper home. I'd appreciate any help working through the massive slog that setting up sorting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:13:15 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 02, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »

trying my hand at drone design:

this is intended to support the main battlecruiser, not for carrier roles. has 20k armor, no shield, two anti missile turrets and a single, 10000 damage per hit nuke

the cloud of point defences from 6 of those should be the perfect countermeasure to missile.

in other news, the cruiser is fitted with 750kdps turrets with self sustaining power sources :P
you can find one without armor casing right behind the drone

after some testing edit:

drones are quite useful, while I'm stripping shields  with the main ship nukes from them annihilate whatever armor the enemy has, plus they act both as hard to hit decoy and the decentralized point defence is really effective as their turret have a much wider visibility

however, the process to restock and dock them is extremely annoying. bobby ai is reset to turret after spawning, and the faction module is blank, so you need to go into everyone of them, enter the faction signature, then change bobby to ship and activate it.

lost 60% of drones (over multiple tests) because I forgot most this or that action.

anyway. there is a ship action block that can be bounded to the toolbar under the t menu, and you can connect it to rails so that you have a way of undocking all the stuff. however if you blueprint a rail of drones, you have to connect back everything.

the whole systmem is very carrier unfriendly, which is unfortunate
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:53:22 pm by LoSboccacc »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 03, 2015, 03:18:04 pm »

So, is this game still plagued by people building ships 5 times the size of planets and lagging the server to death?

What are the biggest updates in the past couple of years?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 03, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »

I bought Starmade on Steam a little while ago and, from my playing, the biggest change is the world generation. The "world" is actually a whole galaxy now, arrayed out in a spiral that spans a massive area. Black Holes act as portals between distant points and you can build warp gates to travel about, as well as jump drives for shorter trips.
The resource and building system has been simplified as well. There's crystals and ores that both get processed into crystal lattice and metal mesh which is used for most constructions, however, some items require specific types of crystals or ore to produce. Say, cannons will require Hylat (I think), a bluish crystal.
Planets are also multisided with 10 faces I believe and varying size. There is multiple different styles of stations amongst the pirate, trader and derelict stations. However, station farming has been removed as while you can salvage them, unless you pay to restore the structure you'll just get scrap from salvaging and not the actual blocks.

The game is still rather resource heavy. The default settings I found caused the game to eventually start lagging due to memory limitations. The base game is set for 32bit, but some setting modifications on the first pop-up window (the update one) under memory settings means that I can make better use of the 8gb RAM my computer has.

Large ships don't seem to cause as much lag. I spawned in some premade ships, 1 to 1 size Nova, Miranda and Constitution as well as 2 huge spacedocks and didn't notice any massive framedrop.

Oh, that reminds me. The way weapons and shields work has been changed. Shields now require two blocks, shield capacity and regenerator blocks to restore damaged shields.
Weapons effect each other when you slave a weapon computer to another computer. So to get faster firing salvage beams (lower cooldown) you need to slave a Weapons computer with associated cannon blocks (I think of an equivalent number). This works for all weapons as well. You can change a beam so it has more distance, stronger damage but longer reload time or to multi beam by slaving different weapon blocks/computers to them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 181