Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 324979 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the server config, the missile-beam combination grants no additional range; 5000m either way, which was why I chose beam over pulse in the first place. So yeah, cutting back to a beam-pulse combo sounds reasonable now. The shield capacity went up to 979k, but the recharge rate dropped to 10k (this is disturbing) and the power capacity went up to 82 million (holy FUCK)

The only thing I see changed with generators is PowerLinearGrowth from 25 to 30, which is the flat power per block bonus, which should only increase the amount. Are you sure?

They did definitely buff shield capacitors, regenerators, and power capacitors, among other things.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I didn't mention the power generation rate changing because I didn't notice it. I was talking about shield cap and regen and power cap

Also also also also:

If we use ion effects on our ships, we'd be getting a 50% reduction in incoming fire, effectively doubling effective shield hitpoints. Not sure if the block count changes much, but in unmodified configs the ion effect system is usually smaller than the shields themselves, so it turns out to be a net gain over throwing on a bunch more capacitors. Does require more energy use, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just started playing again as Andrea. Lets see if I can still play :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't mention the power generation rate changing because I didn't notice it. I was talking about shield cap and regen and power cap

Ah. Although I was expecting the shield regen to increase significantly, since the only change there is to ShieldRechargeTotalMul, and it increased from 5.5 to 7.5. (ShieldCapacityTotalMul increased from 110 to 120, and is also the only change to capacity)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Ugh, fuck, you're right. It used to be 7700, not 70,000. I need caffeine desperately. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Also also also also:

If we use ion effects on our ships, we'd be getting a 50% reduction in incoming fire, effectively doubling effective shield hitpoints. Not sure if the block count changes much, but in unmodified configs the ion effect system is usually smaller than the shields themselves, so it turns out to be a net gain over throwing on a bunch more capacitors. Does require more energy use, though.

I'm reading about ion effect and apparently the max is 60% (unless they've changed it at some point), which gives you effectively 2.2x shield health and regen (and block health, but block health is so low it hardly makes any difference).

It's based on total ship block count though, not shield block count. I'm reading mixed reports that say you either need 5% or 10% of total block count as ion effect to get the maximum bonus. Either way, it's a lot more effective then just adding more shields and rechargers (and probably cheaper too, though I don't know the cost of ion effect blocks)

This sounds like a really, really valuable and powerful effect, I'm glad you mentioned it since I had no idea it existed.

(now to look up what other defensive effects you can get)

Edit: it seems like I misunderstood something, tertiary effect blocks like explosive effect apparently do increase damage like linking another weapon block, so your original idea of linking some explosive effect on there was a good one - sorry about that.

That also makes me wonder if we should make the turret 50% missile/beam/ion to punch through shields with faster moving missiles, and the other 50% as a slower missile/beam/explosive that follows behind and deals a killing blow after the shields are (hopefully) gone. Maybe even 75% missile/beam/ion since blocks are so fragile once the shield is gone.

...of course that would use a lot more power and make it a lot more expensive, so maybe not worth it especially since the purpose is mostly to keep people away. It's something to think about anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:48:11 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I arrived at the Twelth bay! took a bit :P Now I am mining asteroids and flying around. But how do I join a faction? should I just sell all minerals to the nearby shop or can you people use them?

edit: lagged, logged out and now I am 1000 m from the ship :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:00:13 pm by andrea »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why you should always have extra ship cores, thrusters, and power generators. (Apparently lone ship cores are slow now, or at least on this server).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've put a simple rail on an asteroid, and I'm trying to shoot with my rail docker from my starter ship (made with starting materials), but it doesn't work. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or you just can't dock to asteroids. Any ideas? It shoots fine and does that grid scanning animation but nothing happens.

EDIT: It says Rock cannot be hit. I thought it meant an actual rock block, but apparently the asteroid is a Rock and it just doesn't work on it. Bleh.

EDIT 2: Also if you have enough patience, it seems like turning crappy asteroid rock into carved rock via Capsule Refinery then Basic Factory gives something like a 3600% profit :P

EDIT 3: Wait, that's silly. I can just sell the capsules.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:40:07 pm by Sergius »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Capsules fill up the shop really quick, you only get 50,000 credits (1 per capsule) and it's full. Making them into carved blocks lets you get ~1.5 million before it fills up.

Also it does not require patience if you build a big factory, the one I made has 10,000 factory enhancers so it goes really fast.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did some jumping around earlier. Didn't see any pirates, but saw that prices go up to slightly over 1.5x the minimum price. Given that there are a bunch of things for sale for 10k at the noobstore, which is fully restocked every 30 minutes...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:16:23 pm by Shadowlord »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Also also also also:

I'm reading about ion effect and apparently the max is 60% (unless they've changed it at some point), which gives you effectively 2.2x shield health and regen (and block health, but block health is so low it hardly makes any difference).
Server config changed it to 50%, so our shields become 2x as effective rather than 2.2x. Disappointing.
I make Spellcrafts!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Also also also also:

Server config changed it to 50%, so our shields become 2x as effective rather than 2.2x. Disappointing.

Too bad, but still 2x shields and regen for 10% increase in blocks is a pretty good deal. Seems like a very good idea to add this to any combat ships.

Anyway, I rebuilt the factory into our station and added a "power tower" to the bottom. And, because I know everyone loves them SO MUCH I made a plex lift leading to it. I know it's very ugly, if anyone wants to redesign it feel free.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

couple the missile with ion cannon and stopping beam

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

So what does buying the game actually give you?
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181