Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325514 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1605 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

I think the massive boost in power may actually have been an overall increase in AI accuracy, given that pirates are also proving significantly more able to actually hit me. Instead of spraying in your general direction like storm troopers, they're actually hitting me a few times.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:23 am »

I apologize to Blaze for snapping. I am really hating the new way turrets are working and that Schema said that is the intended way, with no more change in the works.

I apologize to anyone else seeing my snap offensive too. I am really sorry.

On the other hand I really hope Schema sees how much work he invalidated ( not to be offensive or mean, after watching a video it really destroyed a whole lineup of ships with internal docking.).  I wouldn't be as mad if he worked the fix in steps or in a way for a few updates to work the old "broken" into the working version. Schema, going ahead with the update in full force without any for warning or mention, had really dropped the ball on that. I really figured he really was trying to do the best and I hope in the end he might work something for a compromise with the rest of the community.

In other news.. A mysterious construction has begun!!

More at 11. 
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27:09 am »

I understand your frustration. As a reasonable and observant individual, I'm sure you must have noticed the substantial discrepancy between the green bounding box and the actual bounds that were being made available to turrets (or fighters and such). I'm sure you can agree that at least one of those two must have been incorrect. As such, a change to the docking was inevitable, the only question was whether it would be to the green box or to the actual docking mechanism. I, for one, believed it would be to the actual docking mechanism, but apparently mainly for the wrong reason (because it was impossible to depict it with the green box accurately - but he didn't change the thing which caused this - the requirement for the core to be centered!). That requirement, which diminishes the available bounds if the core is non-centered, is probably continuing to cause confusion.

If I'm seeing this correctly (using 0.09396), a 7x7x7 ship can dock on a single mount at this time still, but each extender now adds +2 instead of +4, and height also appears to be fixed (it was previously increasing by even more than +4). If memory serves, +2 is how much the green box increased by previously per extender (but it wasn't lined up with the edges of tiles properly for whatever reason, which also appears to be fixed now), so if I'm not mistaken he's brought the actual bounds in line with the green box, aside from the actual bounds still being less than what the green box shows if the core of the docking ship/turret is not centered on the x and z dimensions. There's no way to represent that, however, while placing the docking module+extenders, unless it's made to not require centering the core (as is already the case for the y dimension).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:36:16 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: September 18, 2013, 11:48:36 am »

Let's be real for a moment, there were several ways schema could have approached this problem, the one he chose is ultimately what we are having trouble with.  It would have been resonable to use a number of systems for docking limits, including volume based, block count, player directed docking area definition, and I am certain we could come up with more.  In the end the decision was his and his alone, and that decision has had very notable effects on players and build styles.  I have been forced to redesign all of my turrets due to that decision, so it makes me unhappy.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:36 pm »

You would have been forced to redesign turrets either way.

You have to understand though, that for turrets, even the current way of doing things makes no sense.

A turret must have equal space on all of its sides in order to be able to turn. To prevent it from clipping into other turrets and parts of the ship. Ideally, turret dock enhancer blocks would increase turret dock area size equally in all directions - or perhaps equally in "docking plane" directions only. Say, a turret dock is set so that the turret's "up" is along the Y axis. Expanding the attached enhancer cluster in either X or Z axis would equally increase the X and Z dimensions of the docking area, so that the cross-section of it is a square. And expanding it in the Y axis would add "height" to the area, as usual.

The ways you think the system should work, they make sense to you because they are convenient for you. I think that any change to the system that makes ship designs make more use of common sense, like for instance not placing the turrets so that they can clip into each other, is a change for the better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:45 pm »

Nullius has a fey mood!!!

Nullius has taken over a sector demanding Black hull, Plexglass, Blue Hull, Power Blocks, Power Storage, Docking block with enhancers.

Nullius started his mysterious creation!!!

Behold!! Nullius had made an Artifact space station called The_Scar!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While he was doing that I decided to work on my ship some more. Here is the result so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »

[spoiler]
It's a cool station, though I think he might want to get rid of those low-hanging ceilings. From my experience in Greiger's station, such a thing has a tendency to occasionally warp a player out of the station (it's either that or narrow corridors, or the combination of the two). If he just got rid of the second level, he could probably fit in some nice chandeliers along the hallways.

And this kinda makes me wanna log in tomorrow and work on my own station. I think I could probably fit a gravity elevator in nicely in the space near the middle, now that I think about it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »

Narrow halls and doors cause teleporting.  The engine appears to have difficulty with lateral movement and obstacles.  I've had 2 meter ceilings in several ship designs and never been TPed, but you hit a wall and suddenly you are on the other side of the sector.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:13:29 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: September 20, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

I think your observation is symptomatic, and the cause lies elsewhere. Narrow tunnels just make it more obvious;
I think the teleporting is a bug with docking. When I dock turrets/ships on opposite sides of a ship, I often teleport around in it, when touching walls. Looks like a weird clipping error. Undocking all ships and turrets fixes it for me though.

Is your narrow tunnel part of a structure that has ships or turrets docked? If yes, try undocking them all, and see if you still teleport in your narrow tunnel, for !!SCIENCE!!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »

You know, when/if the server gets reset, we should band up together and build a public hub somewhere. We could branch off from there, even make the base building an event! We'd need a small production backbone to start with, but maybe someone could build a thing of the sort and just misplace it. :3

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »

I'd only support a server reset if the amount of resources needed to buy a recipe was brought down to a sane amount, or the manufacturing process had somehow been made better at that point. If we switched and left factory recipes as they are, we'd have to strip mine abandoned stations just to just to be able to afford a recipe for basic hull blocks.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »

I think the cost for a blueprint is actually changeable in one of the server files.
I don't think 200 is too large a cost.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: September 20, 2013, 01:27:07 pm »

I think the cost for a blueprint is actually changeable in one of the server files.
I don't think 200 is too large a cost.
Recipe cost is changeable, and it was on the order of 5000 blocks per recipe.

But honestly, I think the cubatom crafting makes the recipes rather useless. Sure, it's a lot more manual, but it's a lot more straightforward as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:51 pm »

I support a reset, but only if we lower the recipe costs.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: September 20, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

I say we reset no matter what when planet generation algorithm gets changed.

By which I mean the two sided or squareish planets he was talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 181