Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: You are likely to be eaten by a grue  (Read 26286 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: You are likely to be eaten by a grue
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »

"What if I threw it in some sort of sacred fire or something?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:02 pm »

OOC: you can play Zork at Newgrounds in a flash version. I did poorly, but wasn't eaten by a grue.

So, we know where it is, can it be defeated in such a way that it will be gone for good? Or am I going to be haunted by grues of yesteryear forever? I really don't want to be biting people on the butt anymo- uh, I mean ... ever. I don't ever want to bite someone on the butt. Yeah. Definitely not. Still glad it wasn't Pacman.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »

Do you think playing the game on this disc might help you determine what is in there?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 02:45:56 am »

"What if I threw it in some sort of sacred fire or something?"

"Pff, sacred fires are entry-level stuff. Maybe that banishes pixies or something, but definitely not something as deeply entrenched as whatever's in this disk."

So, we know where it is, can it be defeated in such a way that it will be gone for good? Or am I going to be haunted by grues of yesteryear forever? I really don't want to be biting people on the butt anymo- uh, I mean ... ever. I don't ever want to bite someone on the butt. Yeah. Definitely not. Still glad it wasn't Pacman.

Edna giggles a little too hard at your Pac-Man quip, checks to see if you appreciated it, then blushes and ceases. "Yes, we can get rid of this thing. It's going to take a lot though, for something as old and powerful as this. We need to find out a little bit about whoever put the foo inside the disk first though, because that's going to determine every other part of this. Foo is a catch-all term for unidentified spiritual or magical things," Edna explains.

"When you embed something into an object you're imbuing it with a part of yourself, kind of like old-lady smell. The little part of yourself that goes into the object is kind of like a locking mechanism; it personalizes the objects you need to open the 'lock' and remove the foo. So we need to find out about who owned this disk, and maybe catch up with them somehow."

Do you think playing the game on this disc might help you determine what is in there?

Edna shrugs. "As long as you're watching me to make sure nothing goes wrong, it couldn't hurt to try. I need to grab some supplies so that you can stop me in case something does go wrong, though." Edna grabs a purse off her couch and begins putting apparently random items into it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:34 am »

Be the person who put the demon in the disk.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:58 am »

If we are gong to be things, let's be a coffee table for a little bit. Then let's head back to the house when edna is ready, and search the computers and disks for hints as to the original owner.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »

Be the Grue.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:56 pm »

sn't the point of this game that we are trying to STOP being the grue?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »

No, the point of the game is to get the grue to stop being us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 06:23:17 pm »

Be the person who put the demon in the disk.

You can't be a person that you are not and remain yourself. You're fairly sure you read about that on some new-age Eastern philosophy blog, and a plain-spoken man's man like yourself doesn't need none of that tai chi pookie to get by.

If we are gong to be things, let's be a coffee table for a little bit. Then let's head back to the house when edna is ready, and search the computers and disks for hints as to the original owner.

You zany caricature, always with the furniture reenactments! Edna, with her back turned to your display of imitation prowess, seems unimpressed. However, you know deep down inside that she considers herself lucky to be acquainted with a man as talented as yourself.

Edna finishes preparing and you two agree to set of for your place immediately, but you feel compelled to stop. It almost seems as if some cosmic author just broke the hinge on their netbook several minutes ago and really doesn't want to spend too long typing on a computer whose fate hinges (heh) on extremely gentle treatment and some repair work that would take far too much time and effort right now.

Be the Grue.

You try as hard as you can to be the grue, but try as you might, you cannot be a fictional monster from an 80's video game that nobody remembers. A single tear of your deepest sorrow falls from your tortured eyes as you realize that maybe dreams don't come true.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »

Fix laptop hinge
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »

Equip battery-powered lantern. Smash lantern against disc.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 10:10:00 pm »

Fix laptop hinge
+1
we'll wait. In the meantime, We and Edna will ... either a) be suspended in time, b) make small talk, c) carry our silly flirtation and furniture thearter to the ottoman stage, or d) unpack for a while before collapsing together on my dollar store Pseudopersian rug in a sweaty, exhausted heap. I suppose most of those can wait until the cosmic forces realign, though.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 12:33:10 am »

Ask Edna about the different types of demons that could be hiding in the disc.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2013, 04:23:25 am »

Fix laptop hinge

(There's a metal bit that seems like the really important part to fix, but unfortunately I don't have a soldering iron- I've been meaning to buy one for forever and a half, but now I actually have a clear idea of what I'd do with it. I'll see if I can borrow one tomorrow.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that there's no upper limit to how many people can join (within reason), so if you're watching this thread don't be afraid to join in!)

Equip battery-powered lantern. Smash lantern against disc.

There are no battery-powered lanterns here! Besides, that disk looks like it has withstood the strikes of many a Mag-Lite. You're not sure if even one of those fancy titanium beasts they call flashlights nowadays would survive head-to-head with this thin piece of cheap plastic.

Ask Edna about the different types of demons that could be hiding in the disc.

"There aren't really any specific types of spiritual beings," Edna says, halting her flurry of packing. "That's another place people get it wrong these days, they try to make it out like there's demons and angels and poltergeists and fairies. Spirit beings are anything the creator wants them to be.

"Since this one seems to be possessing you, I think the person who created it wants to get something done without having to do it themselves. Why somebody that wants to eat people's butts would have you do it for them is beyond me, though."

we'll wait. In the meantime, We and Edna will ... either a) be suspended in time, b) make small talk, c) carry our silly flirtation and furniture thearter to the ottoman stage, or d) unpack for a while before collapsing together on my dollar store Pseudopersian rug in a sweaty, exhausted heap. I suppose most of those can wait until the cosmic forces realign, though.

You convince Edna to watch while you attempt your most compelling furniture impersonation yet, The Dance of the Ottoman. However, during an especially graceful leaping pirouette, you land on one of your feet at the wrong angle and collapse in a heap. Edna still seems to think it was pretty impressive though, smiling and giggling as she helps you up.

In a few more minutes, you two are back in the basement where this whole nightmare began. "Wow, there are a lot of these disks here," Edna says, looking over the treasure trove of outdated tech. "Well, do you want to look through these disks to see if we can find any clues, or should I go ahead and play the game?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12