Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which would you prefer: (vote once for #1 and once for #2)

#1 No new tileset without the UI
#1 New tileset replaces on old one (Matrix)
#1 New tileset replaces the default (phoebus)
#2 Magic System could be released as beta, I dont care for bugs.
#2 Magic System should be completely finished first.
#2 Magic System should be completed, tested and balanced first.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Feedback/Suggestions for the Magic System.  (Read 9831 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback/Suggestions for the Magic System.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:21 am »

missing anvils gets reported periodically, even outside this magic beta test, but I have never been able to replicate .  As in vanilla, sometimes your civ doesn't have iron, but you'll still always have steel anvils in that case.  (unless you are playing a custom civ that can't smelt steel)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:37:52 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 05:04:46 am »

Fixed the non-eating thing. :)

Developement can continue. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »

Fixed the non-eating thing. :)

Developement can continue. :)
What caused it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »

Curiously enough SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL, to make firemages fireproof, and icemages freeze water.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

An interesting system, I am currently using something similar in my personal games where specific castes can get "professions" a-la Final Fantasy Tactics and such. My only comment thus far is that it seems there should be some negative effects or downsides to becoming a mage (possibly decrease their toughness and strength?) It just seems that getting a full candy wearing axelord/fire mage might make things a little trivial.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 06:20:44 am »

Firemages burn goods, grass and everything non-fireproof, including other dwarves.

Currently it is very expensive to make a mage and it takes 1 year. Black magic will get negative sides. Dont know about the rest.

How is your personal system working?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:54 pm »

It's working well, I wish you could level up people based on how much combat they have had, but right now I just use the souls of slain animals. Each profession starts with between 1 and 4 spells/abilities, then there are basic things they can be taught (eg Warrior can learn Battle Shout, Knight can learn Protect, etc...). Then there are special abilities that certain professions can learn from the souls of certain specific creatures (eg Elementalist can learn Dragon's breath from dragons). The only problem is that it is hard to come up with abilities for the warrior/fighter/archer/hunter profession branches, mage and priest branches are relatively easy.

Right now I make my mages (except the battle mage) weaker so that armor slows them down more, although I am thinking of putting a syndrome on almost all war metals that takes away their ability to cast.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »

Roses, shame on you. That sounds like a perfectly good system, and you keep it all to yourself? :P

And you remembered me in the same sentence that I completely forgot about the soul-system, which I did want to add to the mod. Can I convince you to upload your personal mod, so that I could take a look? Because it does sound not too shabby ;)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »

Yeah I have been meaning to upload it, but I keep adding things and then playing for a bit and then adding more. Also, I use a lot of raws from other people so I didn't want to seem like I was stealing anyones work. Right now I am adding a bit more to my alchemy system (and trying to understand this DFHack stuff so I can get rid of boiling stones), once I do that I will upload it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »

Dfhack only makes boiling stones more effective, you still need to generate them. Its autosyndrome, by expwnent, that you are looking for.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »

Dfhack only makes boiling stones more effective, you still need to generate them. Its autosyndrome, by expwnent, that you are looking for.

But it makes it 100% effective right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

yes

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 06:50:34 am »

When i installed magic my dwarves became unaware of the food on the map and starved to death

edit: just saw that its fixed , nvm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:13:34 am by Vabalokis »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 12:28:20 am »

My magic mod of choice is this little mod. It makes magic work like necromancy in that it can be learned from slabs and taught, but I'm pretty sure random entities can be born with it (I'm not entirely sure about that, though.) So you'll often get migrants that can randomly fling fireballs, but it's a hidden talent that you aren't told about and have to discover for yourself, usually from sudden burning dwarves.

I'm bringing this up here because it's my ideal magic mod, probably because of the hidden natural magical talent every entity could possess, and it adds sudden unexpected fun. Perhaps, for your magic system, some dwarves could be born with a talent for magic, making them better candidates for becoming arcane dwarves, maybe even having basic spells from the start. Oh, and if these talented dwarves were to practice their magic without training, it could have random effects, like sudden combustion, miasma clouds, random monster summoning, or transforming themselves or nearby creatures into eldritch abominations. Imagine the fun that could be had! A recruit you send out to deal with a kea (that you didn't know had magic) could decide its a good time to test it on this kea, only to turn it into an undead griffon!

Oh, and, not my mod I'm linking or using as a basis for these suggestions, don't have permission, etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:32:54 am by chaosgear »
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:12 am »

No, the random entities you find learned it through gods or slabs like everyone else. They just don't build towers because they don't make zombies. I'm pretty sure Masterwork includes some stuff like that from Dwarf Chocolate.

Let me break up the rest of your post by number.

1. I'm bringing this up here because it's my ideal magic mod, probably because of the hidden natural magical talent every entity could possess, and it adds sudden unexpected fun.

2. Perhaps, for your magic system, some dwarves could be born with a talent for magic, making them better candidates for becoming arcane dwarves, maybe even having basic spells from the start.
3. Oh, and if these talented dwarves were to practice their magic without training, it could have random effects, like sudden combustion, miasma clouds, random monster summoning, or transforming themselves or nearby creatures into eldritch abominations. Imagine the fun that could be had! A recruit you send out to deal with a kea (that you didn't know had magic) could decide its a good time to test it on this kea, only to turn it into an undead griffon!

1. See above.
2. Can be done with castes, but I don't think dwarves in this mod need any more castes :V Especially since it'll be a combinatorial explosion. It could also be done with interactions, though.
3. Not possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4