Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vucar Stablerelics, Goblin Dwarven General.  (Read 1759 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vucar Stablerelics, Goblin Dwarven General.
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:12 pm »

Can goblins be generated as peaceful at the start of the game? I have one, named in the title, what doesn't have your typical goblin name. He's ''one of the first of his kind'', and in Legends the first time he does something important is 'In 75, Vucar became a dyer in Tubeboat.'

The current year is 1058 [or somewhere abouts] and he's the General od my dwarven civilization. The first war he participated in was against some Goblins......Who were lead by a Dwarf, Ber Doomedgleam. My head can barely comprehend the fact that a Goblin with a dwarf name lead the dwarves aginst the goblins who were lead by a dwarf with a goblin name. Far too much dwarf-gobin-Dwarblin-Gowarfs going on.

But I was under the impression ALL goblins started out as evil. The guy was apparently generated in year 1 or there abouts, and has a dwarven name. He was never stolen, atleast the historical records don't show it. What the hell is going on?

[Side note: He lead an attack against some elves and smacked them around, apparently for funsies.]
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Vucar Stablerelics, Goblin Dwarven General.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »

Maybe he is just mentally disturbed and thinks that he is a dwarf? It wouldn't suprise me.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »

I don't know, everything about him is absolutely dwarven, aside from he fact that is not, actually, a dwarf. He even worships a dwarven god.

Though, appropriately, that dwarven god isn't a dwarf either. "Tobul the Tower of Emeralds'' is a male Wolverine God, associated with Mountains and Jewels.
Legacy of Insightshields

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »

DF is awesome. Especially Legends mode.

Do you have unmodded game? Has Vucar settled to the dwarven civ or born to it?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:26:39 pm »

Yeah, I don't use any mods, just play vanilla. And he's settled into several. Like I said, I'm pretty sure he wasn't born, so much as created when the world was first genned. He's over a thousand years old at this point.
Legacy of Insightshields

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 02:28:05 pm »

When dwarves take over an enemy site, the conquered can become a part of the dwarven civilization.  That was the case with Cacame the elf, who eventually became king.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:30:02 pm by VerdantSF »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »

But wouldn't some kind of war be in legends mode then? Or saying ''He became at war with [dwarven civ]"?
Legacy of Insightshields

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:05 pm »

Not necessarily. Look at his past civ memberships and check to see if any of those were a goblin Civ. If yes find out where he lived and see if your civ ever captured that place.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

The information would probably only be in the legends entries on the civilisations (dwarven civ 'the boozed culprits' was at war with goblin civ 'the tortured weasels' or somesuch) and the site (in the year 5*, Toadsplattered was attacked and conquered by the boozed culprits). It's possible the goblin wasn't really historical before changing profession to dyer and thus his joining the dwarven civ won't be listed in the events of his life.

The morals of people in DF aren't inherited, but rather a product of their upbringing/allegiance - a member of the goblin civilisation follows goblin ethics and fights for the goblins, a member of the dwarven civ is by all rights a dwarf, even if they're born to look like a goblin or elf.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:15:41 pm »

So - engage curiosity circuits - what stops him (or any other race under a goblin civ) from migrating to your forts? Or can that happen? I'm just getting to grips with this new version, but I get the impression that migrants are a part of the world you've generated now, rather than just being whisked from more or less thin air.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:22:05 pm »

Preface:  I actually wrote this answer before any of you, but after hitting post it said one new reply had been posted (oh wait thats contradictory) and I didn't see it hadn't gone through because I alt-tabbed.   :o

you can join another civ by being kidnapped, or by being a resident of a site when it changes hands.  The dwarves could have taken over the tower this guy was in without necessarily killing him.  If he stayed there, he would have been made part of the dwarven civ.  This is how Cacame became a dwarven King, because dwarves aren't snatchers under any circumstances.  His name confuses me though;  I'm guessing names get translated when you change to a civ with a different language.  Its almost certain that he wasn't created on day 1 of the world with a dwarven name.  Its possible you might not find his goblin name because of the way names are referenced (dwarf becomes ghost, the engravings start depicting his ghostly name).   On the other hand, because given names don't have translations, only the last name (which isn't passed from parent to child).  I think my guess is correct though, since elves captured by goblins will attack your fortress with goblin names.  As for the dwarf goblin general, he could have been naturalized by conquest, born into, or snatched.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:08 pm »

Alright, so! I went back into legends and looked up all the civilizations he is either a part of, or WAS a part of. They are as follows:

The Constructs of Charm(member):  Dwarven Civilization
The Large Hame(former member):  Dwarven Group
The Heliotrope Fellowship(former member): Dwarven Religion [Tobur the Tower of Emeralds]
The Doctrine of Paint(former member): Dwarven Religion [Tobur again.]
The Doctrine of Emeralds(former member): Dwarven Religion [Tobur again, and personally I think very well named.]
The Copper Doctrines(member): Dwarven Religion [Tobur.]
The Tours of Revering(member): Dwarven Group
The Familial Spears(member): Dwarven Group
The Constructs of Charm(general, 507 to present[1058]): Dwarven Civilization

None of them are goblin in the slightest. Now, let me check Tubeboat, the city he became a dyer in first, for anything happening pre-75:

Usual stuff. People settling, megabeasts and animals attacking, killing dwarves, things getting stolen. No wars or battles were even fought. Well, not counting the cyclops and giant dingos smacking the places' inhabitants around. However..
''In 43,  the goblin Shorast Wheelsinked became a ranger in Tubeboat.'' This is the first mention of any kind of a goblin. Considering Tubeboat ''was a mountain halls.'', you'd think any kind of conquering would be mentioned. In 44, like 5 bridges were built ''connecting Tubeboat to Sealweather'',  then over the next 9 years several goblins gained professions there. Nothing usual after this weird series of events.. som goblins and dwarves ''stopped being [job]'' , a troll ate some animals.. then in 66, a dwarf was abducted by another dwarf, this one with a goblin name 'Ngerxung Pinesplague'. Then it continues with dwarves and goblins gaining professions up until Vucar, who was apparently the last person to get a profession in 75.

[Edit] an out of curiosity, checked up on Sealweather as well. Another mountain hall, founded in 43, by 12 dwarves and 1 goblin, Dumed Angelquakes. Sealweather's history is actually alot more plain than Tubeboat's. Dwarves and goblins settling it, a troll got uppity, the bridges built.. but that's really it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:45:47 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

Perhaps his parents were goblins from a captured site?  Do they have entries?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »

It says ''He was one of the first of his kind.'' He had no parents, apparently, which is why I assume he was made at world gen.
Legacy of Insightshields

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 04:17:15 pm »

Oh whoops, I forgot that bit.  That's a pretty unique goblin you've got there.  He's like the DF version of Drizzt :D.
Pages: [1] 2