Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 537969 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:18 am »

No, it died from retreating is what someone in the thread said. It fought a battle underwater, which cancelled out it's acid rain and enough turns went by that the battle auto-ended. This caused it to retreat without any path to friendly territory which automatically killed it.

Or at least that's what people were saying at the bottom of the only page I looked at.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:26 am »

Woah. Note to self. Lemur consuls make a pretty impressive thug chassis. 25 death gems (i.e., lemuria can have one out on turn... three?), built in fear, immortality, chill aura, ethereal, and h3 (so undead blessing, power, protection built in...). Map move 3, amphibious... base stats are solid, too. 33 hp, 18 prot, 17 defense. Actually has a physical weapon. You can send an army with them if you feel like, but they apparently have pretty good odds to solo many indie provinces right out the gate, sans kit, sans backup. Little bit of kit and they do a pretty good job of wrecking face. I think I like these critters.

Hell, looks like the plain centurions aren't that far from 'em, either. Lacking the immortality and some of the stats, though. And the holy levels, of course. Think I may have just noticed how lemuria can expand quicklike, ha. Makes me wonder if the Ermor commanders match this stuff...

E: Also learned that max PD is tied to population now. That's actually kinda' nasty for the domkill nations...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:59:43 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

Woah. Note to self. Lemur consuls make a pretty impressive thug chassis. 25 death gems (i.e., lemuria can have one out on turn... three?), built in fear, immortality, chill aura, ethereal, and h3 (so undead blessing, power, protection built in...). Map move 3, amphibious... base stats are solid, too. 33 hp, 18 prot, 17 defense. Actually has a physical weapon. You can send an army with them if you feel like, but they apparently have pretty good odds to solo many indie provinces right out the gate, sans kit, sans backup. Little bit of kit and they do a pretty good job of wrecking face. I think I like these critters.

Hell, looks like the plain centurions aren't that far from 'em, either. Lacking the immortality and some of the stats, though. And the holy levels, of course. Think I may have just noticed how lemuria can expand quicklike, ha. Makes me wonder if the Ermor commanders match this stuff...

E: Also learned that max PD is tied to population now. That's actually kinda' nasty for the domkill nations...

Yeah, Ermor is interesting because they don't have any population, so you get no PD.  You have to rely on high candle levels to hurt anyone invading you.  You kinda get "free" PD because of the spawns for Ermor, though, and you can also use priests to raise units.  And, since you get free commanders randomly as well, you can basically have patrolling armies that deal with any threats, while your dom spreads and slowly kills everyone.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »

Would anyone recommend gimping myself on candles at creation and making up for them later with temples so I can have more magic and buffs for blessed troops? Thinking of playing as pangea and spamming temples to make up for low initial candle strength

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2014, 03:50:55 pm »

Would anyone recommend gimping myself on candles at creation and making up for them later with temples so I can have more magic and buffs for blessed troops? Thinking of playing as pangea and spamming temples to make up for low initial candle strength
Generally that's a very bad idea, but Pangaea can pull it off because of their cheap temples. You still have to be careful though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:44 pm »

I mean, I wouldn't go lower than 5 or 6, but that seems like a decent strategy to me. You MIGHT be able to get away with 4 if you're really, really careful, but I wouldn't recommend it. Then again, I'm not the best player. Against AI it shouldn't be a problem. Against players it might be a problem.

Also, don't rely on sacred troops with a low dominion, since you won't be able to recruit as many of them per turn.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:10 pm »

With anyone but Pangea I'd probably say heck no. Your big problem is going to be early game where you just won't have the temples/income/provinces to combat someone like a high dominion Ermor with a stealth prophet.

I guess with Pangea it would be doable against opponents that don't have economy/troop hosing dominions, though, but it's risky.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »

People tend to recommend 6-7 as a minimum with multiplayer to avoid death by domloss. If you're just playing SP then you can make do with less. Taking negative scales is pretty good way to get more points, depending on your faction. I don't think Pan needs many resources so they could get some points by taking a bit of sloth. One bit of misfortune or drain nets you another 40 points for magic paths.

The thing about sacred troops is that you can only recruit (per fort per turn) as many sacreds as you have dominion. In addition most sacreds (pangaea included) are capital only. Low candles combined with cap only sacreds doesn't really work. You'll want decent dominion to be able to crank out those sacreds.

What kind of a bless were you thinking? Major? Double major? And/or some minor blesses to go?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »

!!!

There can be more than four sites in a province.

There can be more than four sites in a province.

My knowledge of reality has shattered before fact. All is unknowable and strange! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS‽ Why, Illwinter? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS‽

El proofo:
Ask not!
Ask!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

Up to 8 sites per province.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:42 pm »

that's insane! what map is this? i love the amount of caves you got there

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »

People tend to recommend 6-7 as a minimum with multiplayer to avoid death by domloss. If you're just playing SP then you can make do with less. Taking negative scales is pretty good way to get more points, depending on your faction. I don't think Pan needs many resources so they could get some points by taking a bit of sloth. One bit of misfortune or drain nets you another 40 points for magic paths.

The thing about sacred troops is that you can only recruit (per fort per turn) as many sacreds as you have dominion. In addition most sacreds (pangaea included) are capital only. Low candles combined with cap only sacreds doesn't really work. You'll want decent dominion to be able to crank out those sacreds.

What kind of a bless were you thinking? Major? Double major? And/or some minor blesses to go?

I was thinking of the possibility of maybe a double major. I have done a game where I did tons of minors...and thats ok but I am interested to see how a double major could really beef up a prophet. I tend to go with an immobile pretender for the extra points so how powerful my prophet is makes a huge difference in how I play. I tend to reserve sacred troops for my prophet alone.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2014, 08:56:48 pm »

that's insane! what map is this? i love the amount of caves you got there
Just a random map with caves set to the max value. I wanted an underground map. It's not entirely cave provinces, but... mostly. Mostly. And I'm playing lemuria so everything's undead and you kinda' see why I did it maybe :P Mostly wanted to play with cave summons, really.

Neatest thing about it so far, really, is that there's a number of disconnected provinces. Stuff where the only way I'm going to get into it is teleportation or whatev'. Several of which are throne holding provinces, heh.

S'sorta' like making a mostly underwater map, and making all your enemies land nations, hoho. Actually, the enemies are putting up a decent enough fight. Cave indies aren't too terrible, really, when most of what they're up against is puny puny freespawn. Which helps them right up until the consuls come in and everything dies and/or routs.
Ask not!
Ask!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »

@dennislp3

Then you probably want one of the titans or immobiles with ?2?1 paths. You can afford boosting those two paths to 9 by imprisoning and taking sloth1. This should leave you at about 7 or 8 dominion. Cut down dominion and boost scales according to taste. At least MA Pan has a good selection of various ?2?1 paths.

That's how I'd do a pan double bless pretender anyway.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »

Neatest thing about it so far, really, is that there's a number of disconnected provinces. Stuff where the only way I'm going to get into it is teleportation or whatev'. Several of which are throne holding provinces, heh.

Teleportation and whatev' aren't what they used to be, alas... There's the small matter of spell ranges, which means if those provinces are actually disconnected, they're entirely inaccessible.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 236