Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 537957 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2014, 11:15:56 pm »

By making the statement while I was staring at the research list in game instead of looking at unit lists or whatev' :P

I do remember those things, now, though. They're also pretty nasty, but I think there was something about them being easy to get knocked into a second form or somethin'?

Their riders are fairly fragile, yes. And once their riders die, the lobsters are big, dumb, wild tramplers menacing with spikes of !!FUN!!...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:44 pm »

There's a few things you can do. The big one is magic and flyers, which can bypass the natural bottleneck and wreck all sorts of havoc.

...and ethereal units. They'll flounce right through the wall to attack whatever luck souls they find behind it. These you want to set off to the sides so they don't interfere with whatever units you have braving the killing ground in the middle.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2014, 12:41:19 am »

You guys think we might see a Steam Sale anytime soon?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:43 am »

I believe there just was a non-Steam sale that let you activate your key on Steam.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2014, 01:45:16 am »

I believe there just was a non-Steam sale that let you activate your key on Steam.

Was $11 on Gamersgate, activatetable on Steam. I got it myself and have been stomped by the AIs. So far only using EA Ermor (Roman Empire with magic!).
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2014, 01:52:17 am »

I think the next time I start a game, I'm going to do an LP of it.

But not like your standard LP. More like a series of short stories that in a way describes the war.

There's something about how everything comes together in Dom that really inspires me. That 3 star, crippled soldier you find in a remote province, that once fled a battle. He set out at the start of the war in his prime, but now he's old and ruined, leagues from home. What's his story? What has he seen? The individual experiences of each populace your armies encounter. Did they go quietly, other than that group of free thinkers you had to kill? What do they think of your strange God? The inner politicking between mages and priests, generals and prophets. The stories of heroism and sacrifice. The sheer horror of the (many) things you can do in Dominions. And just a lot of really cool imaginary, like a dude in Legionnaire armor, staring down a long valley against the setting sun, a Legion of soldiers living and dead at his back.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2014, 02:15:31 am »

There's something about how everything comes together in Dom that really inspires me. That 3 star, crippled soldier you find in a remote province, that once fled a battle. He set out at the start of the war in his prime, but now he's old and ruined, leagues from home. What's his story? What has he seen? The individual experiences of each populace your armies encounter. Did they go quietly, other than that group of free thinkers you had to kill? What do they think of your strange God? The inner politicking between mages and priests, generals and prophets. The stories of heroism and sacrifice. The sheer horror of the (many) things you can do in Dominions. And just a lot of really cool imaginary, like a dude in Legionnaire armor, staring down a long valley against the setting sun, a Legion of soldiers living and dead at his back.

The lack of fancy graphics inspires a player-driven narration. <3
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2014, 03:12:59 am »

There IS a non-steam sale:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

The 50% off/12,50€ sale seems to be on for the weekend I believe

quickedit:
and yes, you can activate it on steam just fine.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2014, 05:59:09 am »

Is it just me or the AIs gang up on you? I mean I was attacked by 2 AIs from the same (northern) front and there are no reports from my scouts about them fighting each others. And then another AI started attacking me from the southern front.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:19 am »

AIs do fight each other but they prioritize their targets by (at least) army size. So check the graphs if you've enabled them because it sounds like you could have fewer than average soldiers. Remember that there's no real hardcoded diplomacy in the game. You will probably end up fighting everyone you border sooner or later no matter what you do.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2014, 11:53:07 am »

So I bought this. Pretty damn fun.

Been playing as Yomi and steamrolling everything with a horde of demons. Only setback was an enemy army chewing through mine with a bunch of priests casting banishment. But that was fine, because the general Dai-Oni survived and proceeded to trample(those are some awesome boots) through an enemy army of 53 singlehandedly the next turn. I should buy more of those guys.

The hall of fame is filled my generals. The greatest of which being Toru, my prophet demon general, who started the game by winning a pair of sandals in the arena after curbstomping the other contestants, and now has 63 kills.

Anyway, question time. Is there a way to protect my army from banishment, or should I just create less demon-centric armies?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:23 pm »

What is the most efficient way to deal with massive enemy armies? I'm up against Pangea and their armies are about 3-5k in size. It's mostly chaff like maenads, but they are backed up by many many mages. I've fought them a couple of times and my much smaller armies do very well, but they still lose. I'm trying to pump out some as many soldiers as I can, but I can't seem to match Pangea's output.

I'm playing as early age Ulm. I have a fully kitted out Tartarian cyclops that killed about 200 soldiers in one battle and I have other equally capable commanders but against the sheer numbers my armies always rout eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:51 pm »

Anyway, question time. Is there a way to protect my army from banishment, or should I just create less demon-centric armies?
There's spells that can increase magic resistance, some of them battlefield wide, iirc (higher up in the research). Banishment damage can be negated (or halved? Something like that.) by a successful MR check, so if your demons have higher magic resistance...

Setting things up to kill the banishers might help, too, of course. Flyers set to attack rear, large AoE spells, stuff like that. Fairly sure Yomi's got access to at least death (and maybe blood?), so you might be able to sic some non-battle disease causing stuff on their armies, get the priest population headed toward death. Assassins might work too, if you've got access (and if you've got blood, or are willing to get into blood, something nasty with that assassin heart thing, if it's still in D4, would be vicious.).

I'm playing as early age Ulm. I have a fully kitted out Tartarian cyclops that killed about 200 soldiers in one battle and I have other equally capable commanders but against the sheer numbers my armies always rout eventually.
Unless D4's changed it, one thing you can do is send stuff like that cyclops in solo (or only supported by equally capable units). The rout is based, at least partially, on number of things killed (or something like the amount of HP lost by those things or whatev'.) on your side. If you've only got two or three guys that won't die, they won't rout. If they're in an army with a bunch of crap that does die, they can and will rout.

Alternately, if routing is the issue, get some morale boosters! Stick 'em in with the groups that are routing. If enemy chaff is the issue, get some of those mass AoE spells good at clearing them out. I'd personally just say screw the army and send in the SCs on their lonesome, though, especially if you're at the point of getting tartarians. Probably, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2014, 03:13:19 pm »

What is the most efficient way to deal with massive enemy armies? I'm up against Pangea and their armies are about 3-5k in size. It's mostly chaff like maenads, but they are backed up by many many mages. I've fought them a couple of times and my much smaller armies do very well, but they still lose. I'm trying to pump out some as many soldiers as I can, but I can't seem to match Pangea's output.

Then you've hit the point where you need to transition from mundane armies to either small armies of (boosted) elites (hard for EA Ulm), solo/small gangs of supercombatants as Frumple recommends (IIRC it's 75% total hitpoint value killed triggers autorout, which will eventually be a problem for a full-sized army), or... switch gears and use your troops to hold the line while mass-evocation-spewing mages do your heavy lifting. This latter is probably the best course; get a mass of durable troops, and throw in a thug or two to help thin the enemy's numbers, but fill your backfield with a mess of mages dropping evocations to take care of the actual killing.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice! I've been playing an almost embarrassing amount of time since I picked it up on sale. I forgot how much I loved this series.

Out of curiosity, do you folks have any favourite single player maps? I've been trying out a few from the desura forums. Some of them are very pretty.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 236