Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 537677 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1980 on: March 01, 2016, 04:24:04 pm »

As in simply general "I win and you lose" spells, or "bring unto the apocalypse" spells?  For stuff that's a bit of both:

Burden of Time (Thaum 5; D5): Murder on the living, especially for nations with old-age mages or that lack Growth scales.  Worse, the nations that will most often cast this (*cough* Ermor) will have massive Death paths on their pretenders, making dispels hard, and have other factors (*cough* Ermor) already making them a target. 

Utterdark (Alt 9; D9): Permanent darkness everywhere, causing major havoc for anyone without darkvision or other units not impaired.  Random shade attacks are just icing on the cake.

Astral Corruption (Blood 7; B6S6): Casting or forging now gives horror marks if you aren't using blood magic.  Horror marks cannot be removed, and they stack - the more you have, the more your mage gets targeted for assassination by random horrors, and the stronger those horrors are.  Given that the late game pretty much runs on magic, this is...entertaining.

More in the lines of the world of darkness, but less effective in a general practical sense could include Foul Air (all injuries cause disease), Illwinter (increases global cold; thematically the coming of Ragnarok), Perpetual Storm (unless you're a flier nation like Caelum, in which case it's a *huge* pain), and Wrath of God (roasts heretics, but tied to your dominion's extent).  Maybe Enchanted Forests (the forests themselves awaken to sing your praises and sweep away opposing faiths) as well, but that's more of a Gaia's Revenge than a world of doom.

For stuff that's powerful, but tends to be a bit more questionable on how dangerous they are:

Well of Misery (Conj 8; D6): Everyone in the world gets healthy; yay.  Unfortunately, the caster is turning all of that disease, aging, and decay into pure, concentrated Death gems.  Most gem generators like Mother Oak probably qualify, but this one gets special note for actually giving other players a reason not to immediately try to purge it.

Gift of Health (Ench 7; N6): Everyone who worships you becomes healthier. This one's more likely to be poached because someone else wants the effect, or fears you'll be Tartarianing it up (does it still work on Tartarian insanity?). 

Forge of the Ancients (Con 7; E5): I lied. This one will likely make you a target, because it means you're going to be mass-forging a whole bunch of nasty stuff. 

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 01, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »

With Utterdark you forgot the "income reduced to 1/10th-ish" part, with WoG, it's only mostly tied to your dominion, and as far as "I want a bullseye on me" spells go, you need to mention Arcane Nexus.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 01, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »

You are completely right;  I completely forgot the real reason Utterdark goes from "mild inconvenience" to "OK, you die now." >_< Also, agreed on Arcane Nexus.  That spell, I completely forgot entirely.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 01, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »

Gift of Health (Ench 7; N6): Everyone who worships you becomes healthier. This one's more likely to be poached because someone else wants the effect, or fears you'll be Tartarianing it up (does it still work on Tartarian insanity?). 

Tartarian insanity is incurable, but as they are undead and spawn with afflictions, GoH is one of the few ways they can be healed of those.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:53 pm »

I summoned up two tarts and don't really see why they're so hyped.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 01, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »

They're a fairly cheap way to get full-or-mostly-full-slot SC chassis, often with decent paths too. They're not nearly as good as they were in Dom3 though.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 01, 2016, 08:00:18 pm »

There's a lot of variance in what you'll get, as well. Just summoning two probably doesn't give you a good picture of their capabilities.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 03, 2016, 04:37:09 am »

Wrath of god is some impressive global, getting your everything constantly nuked with lightenings is terrifying.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:35 am »

Looming Hell is pretty nice if your dominion extends into enemy territory - it had devils turn units against their commanders to try to assassinate them.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 03, 2016, 08:47:15 am »

Illwinter (increases global cold; thematically the coming of Ragnarok)
Unless they changed it, doesn't this also cause ice wolf and giant attacks on random nations?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 03, 2016, 08:49:38 am »

Casting Burden of Time or Utterdark in MP is the equivalent of storming a southern gun store with an assault rifle. Sure, everyone is surprised for a bit and you're pretty strong, then they realize what's going on and everyone drops everything to kill you with all they have.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:00 am »

Well of Misery is a bit less straight-forward. Sure, everyone thinks "Well shit, now he's got a metric buttload of gems coming in every turn", but on the flipside "Whoa, hey! Unrest is down and profit is through the roof!".

I suppose it's just a matter of WoM being potentially a really dangerous spell, provided your opponent uses those gems wisely. Burden of Time/Utterdark doesn't pose any questions like that, it's simply "I will definitely die if I don't definitely kill him first".

Tartarian insanity is incurable, but as they are undead and spawn with afflictions, GoH is one of the few ways they can be healed of those.

Yeah, Tartarian insanity is the "shattered soul" type which cannot be removed or reduced by any means. Only on Tartarians and Ashdod's summons, I think. Does GoH actually work on undead though? I thought you specifically needed the Chalice in order to properly push Tarts out the door.

I mean, they're still pretty cheap gem-wise for the beasts they are, but they're not proper mean until you can take off the mute/feeblemind/whatever they've got that's keeping down their ridiculous potential magic paths.

Heh, no mention of Agartha's breaking of the seal ritual? That's more of a "fuck absolutely everything" spell than the usual "screw you guys, I wanna win" global.

And yeah, Nexus is another one that may not be directly hostile straight up front, but good grief if it isn't a scary prospect to let someone sit on that kind of income.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 03, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

What is so great aboutbreaking the seal spell?

From what I remember it gives you some vastness like units. And rlyeh gets this stuff for free.
Does luck affect rlyeh void gate effect btw?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 03, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:50:39 pm by E. Albright »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 03, 2016, 05:47:32 pm »

What is so great aboutbreaking the seal spell?

From what I remember it gives you some vastness like units. And rlyeh gets this stuff for free.
Does luck affect rlyeh void gate effect btw?

From the wiki:

"Unleash Imprisoned Ones: Alteration 9. E6D4, costs 100 earth gems.

Spawns three God Vessel units that appear in three random provinces that are not your capital. They will then proceed to wander the earth, destroying everything in their wake. Keep in mind that the God Vessels are independent units, and will have no qualms with running amok all over your land. A significant portion of the population of your capital dies. It also replaces your "Chamber of the Seal" Cap Site with "Chamber of the Broken Seal" which gives you 5 death gems and increases death. There is also a worldwide "Darkness" event, and a bunch of umbrals and penumbrals appear in your cap."

Check out the God Vessel and Legion of Gods units in the mod inspector. It's a... good time.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 236