Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Incest  (Read 2994 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Dwarven Incest
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »

If dwarves are related to one another, can they get married and produce children?

The wiki says that they have to be within 10 years of one another, and can't be children or babies, but I would just like to confirm that they can.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Incest
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »

I've heard that you need at least 3 breeding couples to sustain a fortress on nothing but migrants, because dwarves won't marry unwed aunts/uncles or nephews/nieces. I'm not sure about cousins, though. Excuse me while I go make a new DF folder with [CHILD:1] modded in for dorfs, and [INVADERS:NO] and [POPULATION_CAP:0] in d_init, to test this...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:24 am »

They can't be related. If they are, they'll just become friends.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:37 am »

Really? Cuz' the wiki says:

Two dwarves can get married if they are of the opposite gender. Dwarves have a romantic relationship together before they are married. Instantly after marriage those dwarves usually make a wedding party, if there is an available room, such as a statue garden, or a dining room marked as a meeting hall. Dwarves marry for life; a dwarf whose spouse dies will not remarry. It appears that they even may commit suicide, though the game does not explicitely announce this.

Dwarves will cancel their current task when getting married.

Dwarves must be within 10 years of each other in age, and must not be Children or Babies, to enter into a romantic relationship. Being Friends may be a prerequisite as well. The 10 year restriction only applies in fortress mode, so incoming pregenerated dwarves may have a larger gap between their ages.

Dwarves with similar professions are more likely to get married.

To enter into a romantic relationship, dwarves must be allowed to idle together in the same room. They will socialize and build relationships. If they are compatible in terms of age and marital status, they will eventually become lovers and then marry. If not, they will simply become friends. Dwarves with too little free time will not have time for romance.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:08 am »

Really? Cuz' the wiki says:

Two dwarves can get married if they are of the opposite gender. Dwarves have a romantic relationship together before they are married. Instantly after marriage those dwarves usually make a wedding party, if there is an available room, such as a statue garden, or a dining room marked as a meeting hall. Dwarves marry for life; a dwarf whose spouse dies will not remarry. It appears that they even may commit suicide, though the game does not explicitely announce this.

Dwarves will cancel their current task when getting married.

Dwarves must be within 10 years of each other in age, and must not be Children or Babies, to enter into a romantic relationship. Being Friends may be a prerequisite as well. The 10 year restriction only applies in fortress mode, so incoming pregenerated dwarves may have a larger gap between their ages.

Dwarves with similar professions are more likely to get married.

To enter into a romantic relationship, dwarves must be allowed to idle together in the same room. They will socialize and build relationships. If they are compatible in terms of age and marital status, they will eventually become lovers and then marry. If not, they will simply become friends. Dwarves with too little free time will not have time for romance.

The wiki is information gathered by players, so it's entirely possible we don't have all the information on relationships yet. (Thus my new fortress.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:35:19 am »

I believe the underlying gameplay mechanics will allow married relatives to have children if you force it through DFHack, but I'm pretty sure that they still have to be adults.  Quietust says that the game still requires both a male and female in a relationship for babies, and I'm inclined to believe him.  That's all that the baby mechanics require.

Getting married is the trickier part.  Siblings definitely won't get married, but whether cousins and aunts / uncles will work I don't know.  I strongly suspect anything that shows up the relationships screen as Parent, Child, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle or Cousin is off limits.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:20:25 am »

siblings and parents/child can't. Uncles and cousins are fair game.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:16 am »

And to think my mom once got mad about the Sims because I had a sim commit adultery against his wife with another man.... :-X
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:49:24 pm »

I once checked out Legends mode and found a bunch of dwarves whose family tree only made sense with aunt/nephew marriage.

Circumstantial evidence for parent/child/sibling relationships being handled differently to more distant ones:
1. The text in the relations screen is a different colour for parent/child/sibling relations.
2. Dwarves only count parents/children/siblings as relatives for the purposes of good or bad thoughts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

Intriguing...

It would be profitable to perform a structured experiment to explore this further.

Requirements:

a world where migrants can't show up after the first 2 waves.
Very aggressive pair induction with locked marital suites
At least 6 starting pairs to test heredity exclusionism against.

Does anyone have a "dwarves are extinct" world we can attempt this experiment with? I a willing to perform the experiment.

(Basically, sequester 6 pairs until they marry, and name them A, B, C, D, E, and F. Offspring produced are sequestered in both branch $X0 (sibling) pairs, and against offspring from the other pairs, and given a name following a convention like "AC0", for "A C cross, generation 0".  Offsprng produced are systemically paired following a logical progression, testing every possible combination. Success/failure of marriage, and child production recorded in a table.)

For maximal reproductive potential, immigrant bastard babies can't be possible, so the "dwarves are extinct!" World becomes essential.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »

Why do we need a world without a dead civ?  Shouldn't you just be able to set the migrants amount to zero in the d_init file?
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:20 pm »

You need the initial migrants to get the initial unrelated pairs?

I haven't played much with altering migrant properties in the raws-- so am unsure of the consequences of that change. I have played with dead civ worlds though.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:11 pm »

You will still get the first 2 migrant wave even if the settings are 0.  This coupled with removing the dwarven active season in the entity raws can emulate a dead civ world pretty well.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »

I will attempt the experiment then!

Hopefully, the test will be comprehensive enough to know at what family level incestuous relations are permitted. (1st cousin? Second cousin? Etc.) 

After that, a public challenge to have a viable, functional fortress where every member is listed as a family member of all other dwarves would be epic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 12:03:01 am »

Another option for testing this would be to use the embark tools in DFHack to embark with 20+ dwarves, which will necessarily not be related.  You can then adjust their ages and genders with DFHack so that they'll get married if desired.  You can also use fix/population-cap at the beginning, which should allow you to avoid the first two waves in theory.

Maybe more trouble than it's worth.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2