Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fav. Fortress  (Read 914 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Fav. Fortress
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »

What's your favorite fortress ever and why? Be it yours, found on forums, or one you found on DF Map Archives. Is it from the story that came w/ it? The epic battle? the beautiful layout? cleaver trap design? What was it? What photos do you have of it? SHARE!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Fav. Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:24 pm »

HopeBurial was the name of the fort where I learned most of the game. It was founded on a perpetually frozen ocean crawling with giant crabs, ravens and otters. By the end of it's fall I had withstood 2 goblin sieges, 3 civil wars and had enough candy to suit a full squad. (Not that I could get the military to wear it. >.<) At some point I had begun capturing troggs and throwing them into a large labyrinth. (Engraved with hundreds of images of this one time when an elf trader was injured by the giant horseshoe crab "SilentQuick the Disemboweling Blood" and left by his companions to die in the snow.) Trogville had a population of 3 males and 4 females, and I was hoping they'd start breeding enough to make it a suitable place to drop disarmed goblins.

It was so awful that after I fled the fortress, the world was ruined for dwarfkind forever because every other embark ended up getting several emigrants that go berserk and wipe everybody out before the first caravan. I keep trying to recreate it, but I guess it was a one time thing.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

Undergrotto.  The architecture is astounding!

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »

Undergrotto.  The architecture is astounding!
So beautiful ... I almost cried.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

It's difficult to pick, even though I've only played perhaps 6 or 7 forts since I started playing back in .31.25.  I'd probably have to eventually settle on my community fort Dawnpick, since it was an astounding success completely out of proportion to my expectations and the amount of initial effort I put into it.  I'm hesitant to pick it outright because I had a huge love/hate relationship with it because of player problems and the fact it was fairly boring to actually play (I embarked where there were no goblin equivalents, only thieves).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:08:22 am »

My most obsessive project is by far Silentthunders, but until it's reached mountainous proportions Roadtruss remains my favourite.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:29 am »

Boatmurdered. Burning dwarves and elephants sieges. That succession game inured me to try DF.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:18 am »

WeatherWires. Never was there a saga of more epic, and tragic, proportions. Dwarves, fled from the surface forever, scorned by their gods, and sufferers of a terrible curse. Truly astounding storytelling from that thread.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »

These are all great keep them coming!
Undergrotto is amazing, I remember seeing how incredible it was.
Of course Boatmurdered is classic!!
Never seen/heard of WeatherWires, have a link maybe?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »

Undergrotto is my favorite, certainly, and has been for some time. Unprecedented in scope and vision, it was the primary inspiration for a string of my own fortresses, each an experiment in excavation, the culmination of which was Weatherwires.

Architecturally speaking, I was attempting a project of similar scope and concept as Undergrotto, but with an aesthetic that was more appealing to my own tastes - while I find Undergrotto amazing, I also find it rather unappealing from a purely visible perspective.

In any case, it's an unprecedented feat of dwarven design, and I'm pleased that my fort was mentioned alongside it in the same thread.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.