Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 91

Author Topic: @)~~}~ (RPG) Magia Exquisitis II: OOC ~{~~(@  (Read 56340 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: @)~~}~ (RPG) Magia Exquisitis II: OOC ~{~~(@
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2013, 10:34:50 am »

Character Advancement: In most cases, things that can be purchased for a growth point during reflection require at least 4 hours of work, and a DC 7 check. Things that can be purchased for a feature point during reflection require at least 6 hours of work, and a DC 9 check. The skills rolled here can vary wildly, but many body skills can be rolled to pick up a feature or maneuver relating to power or conditioning, mundane or magical combat can be rolled to help learn new ways to fight, the skills you check to cast your spells can be checked to learn similar, Knowledge: Magical Frameworks can be checked to use magical theory and design a spell from scratch, and lots of Knowledge skills can be checked to gain abilities related to that knowledge. See the character creation and progression page for more information.

You roll a skill. And you don't have to research first. Research just allows you a bit more control over what kind of spell you get before you try to get it. You could try to learn a spell from scratch, and be completely at GM mercy, or you could look up a specific effect you are intrested in with research and learn from the text you find in a separate action.

Also, the crit system is not in place just yet, so you don't have to worry about those on turn one.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »

The proposed crit system earlier (at least half must be 6s/1s, no even split) tends (note: TENDS) to lower the chance of crits the higher your skill. That... might actually be desirable.

Oh, also. GodDAMMIT, I need to do eight hours of training to get at least a 50% on the Contain Magic check. Any rules for using a trainer partially? >_>
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:18:58 pm by KujiUn »
Still alive, amazingly.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:53 pm »

The proposed crit system earlier (at least half must be 6s/1s, no even split) tends (note: TENDS) to lower the chance of crits the higher your skill. That... might actually be desirable.

For crit fails, yes. For crit success no. I'd like to keep the odds between 5 and 10 percent either direction across the board, with no crit success possible at rank 1 and no crit failure possible at rank 6. But I don't feel like tinkering with that today. Lets just keep crits out of turn 1.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:08 pm »

Hm... okay, how about this?

For crit successes, at least half of your numbers must be at least 7 - your skill rank halved (or the number of dice you're throwing), rounded up. This makes it impossible to roll a crit success on rank 1, only on 6s for rank 2 and 3, 5-6 on rank 4 and 5, and 4-6 on rank 6.

For crit failures... at least half of your numbers must be... at MOST 7 - your skill rank, and then divided by two, rounding down. It'd give a crit fail on 1-3 for rank one, 1-2 for ranks two and three, just a 1 on rank four and five, and no chance on rank six.

I'd have to run the numbers first, but that's my somewhat non-researched proposal.

EDIT: PROBABLY should have a separate crit system for d4s. >_>
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:30:39 pm by KujiUn »
Still alive, amazingly.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »

What, you mean you don't like the idea of having only one safe number to roll? For shame, Kuji.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »

That would mean 1 die rolls result in critical failures 50% of the time, that you can Crit Fail and Crit Succeed on the same roll (a trivial example would be someone rolling a 6 and a 1 on a two-die roll) and that your Critical Success chances can go down significantly from increasing your skill (you go from a 30% chance of at least one 6 on a two die roll to a 1.8% chance of getting at least two 6s on a three die roll).

I do not think this is the system that should be used and will strive to come up with a better one.

E: Here we go:

To determine if an action has a Critical Result:
Roll 1d20 for each forum action. On a 1, there is a Critical Result.
To determine if a Critical Result is a success or failure:
Consult the first die rolled in the skill check. If it is higher than the roller's skill rank, there is a Critical Failure. If it is equal or lower, there is a Critical Success.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:31:44 pm by Grek »

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

I was kind of implying that a crit success and fail cancel each other out:

And, calculating the odds... wow, never mind then. >_>

Hey, at least the chance of a crit fail consistently goes down. Will PROBABLY have to amend the crit success rules, as well as tone down the rate of crit failures.

That might actually work, Grek. But first die is a problem when we don't have access to a way both add and count the dice, such as in MapTools.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:39:57 pm by KujiUn »
Still alive, amazingly.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2013, 03:41:45 pm »

I didn't know you rolled the turns in maptools. Oh well The probabilities would work out to roughly the same if you just roll a separate 1d6 (or 1d4) for every critical result.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »

That's true.

...the only problem is, it doesn't have enough crits. Amend the 1 on a d20 to a one to two.

I think now the biggest problem is that the actual roll result is COMPLETELY independent on whether or not it crits.

Maybe instead of rolling the d6 after the crit check passes, take the average of the dice?

Also, it would DEFINITELY be better to invert the success/failure check. No need to punish someone for rolling high with a crit fail.

Oh, wait, I got it! Instead of doing the average, which hurts the rate of a perfect one or six, instead do the mode (most often) as the success/failure check! Sure, there'll be a lot of times where there won't be a perfect mode, but we could average it then following the mode rules.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:06:23 pm by KujiUn »
Still alive, amazingly.

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »

Sorry for the double-post, but, uh, Kansa, I don't think time bonuses are cumulative.
Still alive, amazingly.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2013, 04:32:27 pm »

Sorry about that should be fixed now
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »

Kansa, might I recommend making all your actions 4 hours? Unless Kuji can't spend four hours in the morning, spending four hours on your three actions would prove more efficient.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »

Kuji specified that he wanted to spend 3 hours on researching the spells so that is why it is that way.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

KujiUn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2013, 04:38:32 pm »

I can't. I'm spending eight hours training up my Contain Magic and then an hour getting myself a MPW.
Still alive, amazingly.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2013, 04:46:24 pm »

Ah. Well, that's a shame. Still, you can delegate an hour over to the socializing and improve your odds a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 91