Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven "Tax" Challenge  (Read 1616 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven "Tax" Challenge
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:53:02 pm »

Has anyone tried anything like this before? The basic idea came from my random musings that Plump Helmets must be a status symbol in Dwarven society or, maybe Nobles are just greedy bastards. So the king imposes a 50-80% tax on Plump Helmets.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven "Tax" Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:48:08 pm »

Wat?

Gruxneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:32:53 pm »

Whackjob i nearly pissed myself laughing

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »

How the heck do you set a tax on something?

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:23 pm »

You cannot currently set taxes.  It was tried once, but the Dwarf workers simply wouldn't stand for it.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »

I assume you mean forcing 50% of all goods to be dumped into a noble's room?

You could probably do something like that with minecarts fairly easily. In the farm area, create 2 stockpiles, one to go to the noble and one to go to the commonry. Have each pile be hooked up to a minecart going to the right place.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:26:53 pm »

I meant Caravan offerings actually.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »

Now it makes sense. Offering a tithe to the King. Seems like an interesting challenge.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »

Now I understand.  So you give half your plump mushrooms to caravans from the Dwarfhomes.

Hrm.  Well...  I suppose, if for no other reason, it gives you a legitimate gripe and a reason to commit regicide.

"Doze ting's should be WINE!"  *hefts pitchfork and torch*

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:26 pm »

I should'ave been more specific.

Oooh. How about a booze tax? The king demands half of your wine.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:04 pm »

That'd be too easy without any qualifiers; I'd just stop growing plump helmets, toss the rest of them on the caravan, and live off of the other shit and above-ground crops.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:37:10 am »

At least it'd give me something to do with my plump helmets. Hell, I could offer 90% of them without any adverse effects.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 03:09:11 am »

My most ambitious fort built around 'royal duties' was in a very mineral-poor world. The only ore the dwarven civ had was galena, the humans only had cassiterite, yet the dwarfs still managed to offer steel wares. So once i found a site with iron ore and limestone, my mission was clear: provide the dwarven civ with steel. All trade goods from the dwarf caravan had to be bought for steel bars, and at least [fort headcount+1] bars of steel had to be provided per year. It was made a lot more fun by the complete lack of coal in the embark, requiring expanded tree farms to drum up enough charcoal. There's also a massive candy spire on the site, so once enough of the stuff has been processed, the fort might declare independence from the mountainhomes...

In order to make tithes interesting, i think you don't need a percentage but rather a quota that must be fulfilled. Best when it's some non-renewable ressource you have to exploit, like a civ that demands a few dozen cut gems (no glass, no rocks) or a pair of adamantine socks per year.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:57:53 am »

Half the magma I pump is always set aside for the dwarven nobility.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:07 pm »

Tax calculated as a percentage of what you have is a no-challenge. Try to pay a set percentage of the fortress' entire wealth in plump helmets (or make it steel bars if you feel masochistic) every year, eg. 10 bars per 1 million turtles, cumulative starting on the arrival of the first caravan. With 10% yearly interest on any past-due shipments. Think Dune.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!
Pages: [1] 2