Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: err... how... how do i mine adamantine  (Read 4863 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: err... how... how do i mine adamantine
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:24 am »

There are times when they will ask for specific materials. When it happens to me I always seem to have the material around, but I don't know if that necessarily has anything to do with it.

The weaponsmithing peasants is a good idea that I wish I had thought of earlier. The last 6 moods I've had have given me bone trinkets and a cloth bag...

As for candy mining I always do it behind an airlock. Sometimes multiple airlocks, but I tend to go airlock crazy. My tubes seem to like showing up directly in the middle of the magma sea, so I have to deal with the grueling task of casting a safety net around them so I can get as much of the stuff as possible while taking a little bit of the risk out. It also makes it a little less stress inducing when I know my miners aren't going to sacrifice themselves for the good of the fort by making a magma roadblock mid-tube.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:49:26 am »

you may also want to be careful with dwarves with material preferences, i had a weaponsmith once that loved tin, and yep, when he mooded, tin longsword, steel and adamantine were present, but he demanded tin, and refused to work untill i started smelting all ore i had

I don't think dorfs require specific materials but rather opt to pick depending on preferences?

Meaning when a dorf gets a mood you can go to the stocks screen and forbid all materials you don't want to be picked.

Enizer is correct; if they have a preference for a metal, and you have/have had that metal in your fortress, they will ask for that metal e.g. the tin in Enizer's reference.  Forbidding the tin so they select steel/candy does not work (I've tried).

I've also checked via dfhack showmood.  In that case it names the specific metal (tin) not just that it needs a metal bar.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:08 am »

dwarves with material preferences request material you have had at some point, not checking if you currently have any
in my case, tin, which i was out of, due to a habit of turning all tin into making bronze

for raising the chance of useful moods i prefer to have a bunch of dwarves make one metal trap component each, dabbling skill in any profession enough to count for moods
that's a LOT of micromanagement that gets quite boring really fast though

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:58:26 am »

Found ot that was to micro for me, so when I have magma, I tier forges, some low tier forges that crank out copper (or trash metal of the map) bolts, and a mid to legendary that work steel, and legendary only that work adamantine (and statues).
And sett all dwarves that got interesting prefereances to weapon smiths.. (probably no wonder my FPS is shot to HFS whit all those bolts made)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

A little trick I have found to avoid this one glove/boot situation, make sure the armour smith have a preferance for a pice you want, If he gets a mood and he likes brestplates, he will always make a brestplate, same if he likes greaves, he will always make greaves.

While that is true your still faced with the issue of it takeing a ton of moods to outfit a single soldier in artifact armor.   I'd prefer 10 moody dwarves producing 10 weapons to outfit a full squad (even if a mixed bag of weapons) vs 10 moods outfiting a single super soldier in armor.  Could be worth doing if you want to setup a single champion but I think artifact candy is overkill for melee combat and still less effective than even a wooden shield vs railgun...er I mean archers.

Found ot that was to micro for me, so when I have magma, I tier forges, some low tier forges that crank out copper (or trash metal of the map) bolts, and a mid to legendary that work steel, and legendary only that work adamantine (and statues).
And sett all dwarves that got interesting prefereances to weapon smiths.. (probably no wonder my FPS is shot to HFS whit all those bolts made)
you could just setup a single forge with a repeat job with the profile set to a max of dabling.  as soon as each dwarf hits novice they will stop useing the workshop and a new dwarf will step in and get his little bit of training in.   each one will probably get a bit more skill than strictly needed but has the advantage of almost no micro once setup other than enabeling the weaponsmith labor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:27:54 pm by Merendel »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »

Enizer is correct; if they have a preference for a metal, and you have/have had that metal in your fortress, they will ask for that metal e.g. the tin in Enizer's reference.
I thought you had to produce the metal before it became fair game for specific requests. Have you even seen a dwarf demand something you've only ever imported?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:25 pm »

No answer Sutremaine - I haven't paid that much attention to it.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 07:52:29 am »

I have paid that much attention to my metals and mood requirements. In my experience on my current fort only metals that I have smelted bars of could be used in strange .moods regardless of metal preferenced. I've had bronze liking dwarves use steel. I've never smelted copper tin or bronze but I do have bars of those in stock.

Also once I had adamantly wafers every dwarf demanded that, again regardless of preference. When I forbade all the candy prior to my next mood the dwarf actually demanded steel with no preference for steel. (Unlike my 30 or so pre add artifacts that just demanded metal bars rather than a specific metal like add or steel). Even a dwarf with a metal preference did not actually demand metal x, Df hack would say any metal bars even tho his preference might mean he will actually only use steel/gold/whatever.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:52 pm »

What I do is mine out around the addy. After going all the way around, it's usually very obvious which tiles are safe to mine and which aren't.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 09:43:31 pm »

With a diamond pick!

Just had to add a bit of MC humor into here because it seemed appropriate.

For a real answer, mine it carefully.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:33 am »

for raising the chance of useful moods i prefer to have a bunch of dwarves make one metal trap component each, dabbling skill in any profession enough to count for moods
that's a LOT of micromanagement that gets quite boring really fast though

Just a hint for the future, try using the forge (P)rofile to only allow dwarves with a max skill of say novice, then you can set the trap component/weapon on repeat and assign new dwarves weaponsmith skill.  As soon as the reach novice they stop using that forge and if you set up a different forge to have a minimum skill of Adequate or above the general populace will never touch it.  still somewhat micromanagy but a lot less work and you can always melt down or sell the inferior weapons produced.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
Pages: 1 [2]