Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: err... how... how do i mine adamantine  (Read 4866 times)

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
err... how... how do i mine adamantine
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:35:07 pm »

this seems like a stupid question, but ive tried to mine adamantine before, but i found some clowns and they ruined my fort

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: err... how... how do i mine adamantine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

Dig it and station more military than any fort could reasonably muster there. Or just mine it behind an airlock, so that if you break through you can just move on somewhere else.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

Or savescum.  You can save, designate a few spaces to mine, when they turn out safe save again, or if they are full of clowns, savescum.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »

Remember, the area that spawns Fun is 2x2, with a single tile of candy surrounding it, making a 4x4 block that can't be mined. Anything that's outside that 4x4 area is safe.

Like playing minesweeper, but with more fire and death.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »

i recommend playing minesweeper with the adamantine as well, the chaotic shape of the spike, and the 4x4 danger zone of the hollow tube in the spike, means there usually is room to shave some off the spike safely

on one occasion i got the clowns stuck in the spike by digging fortifications into it, this revealed them without letting them out, this yielded a lot of scared miners, and target practice for the military

i do wonder if i was not lucky that there were no gas/fog clowns, i'm not sure the fortification slot would have held them back

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

How does one mine adamantine?

Very carefully.

For a more helpful answer, I personally mine out the edges of the entire spire first, and work inward tile by tile, going from one cleared z-level down to the next. I don't get to mine candy often, but that works well for getting some adamantine to work with without fear of clowns or having to train with minesweeper for hours. I also only dig out what I need for stuff and let the rest sit as a natural reserve for later.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »

I always mine carefully, layer by layer. I also always keep a cave-in trap set up for if when I breach HFS to block the entrance off and save my dwarves.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:42:20 pm »

no minesweeper training required, you can use a common dwarf occupation to find the safe spots

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:44:16 pm by smakemupagus »

Corambis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »

After several fortresses over multiple years, I finally came across my first adamantine.  The wiki had a lot of useful information on it, so I knew about the 2x2 part.  Also, knowing that the open area of spike above or below the current z-level will share at least one x,y coordinate of the current level was helpful in the minesweeper part of this.  The veins all either seem to be located partially in water, transitioning over to magma, so to get as much ore as possible, I'm going to have to find a way to mine some of this stuff.  I'm thinking adding magma to the watery parts, and water to the magma-y parts, and then hopefully having an obsidian buffer zone to work with.  No HFS so far, and I'm working on my third vein.  A decent amount of ore so far, two craftsdwarves working on stand extraction, and about a dozen wafers.  No actual adamantium items yet, but that should be next on my list.  I'm training up some weapon and armor smiths in hopes of a strange mood and some adamantium artifact weapons or armor.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:45:39 pm »

I'm training up some weapon and armor smiths in hopes of a strange mood and some adamantium artifact weapons or armor.

I would focus more on giving all your no skill dwarvs a bit of experience in weaponsmith and give armorsmithing a pass.  An adamantium artifact weapon is almost always useful (long as its not a hammer/mace) and you only need 1 mood per soldier.  Armor on the other hand you've got a good chance of geting just 1 glove or 1 boot and your looking at several moods minimum just to cover important areas on 1 dwarf and even then only if your lucky.   I'd take a full squad with assorted artifact candy weapons and just plain old masterwork candy armor (plus a shield of whatever) over 1 dwarf with artifact candy armor followed by a squad with more mundane gear (if you can call candy mundane)  1 or 2 5+ legendary armorsmiths is all you'll ever need

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24:36 am »

im good at minesweeper... anyway, is there a way i can make it safe for dwarves to mine out the outermost layer of adamantine? and wont fortifications reveal the !!CLOWNS!!, causing them to spray on my fps counter with their silly flowers, or can i just kill them with my 15 marksdwarves and any smoke or gas stragglers (if they manage to get through) with my 10 melee dwarves? how many !!CLOWNS!! spawn per circus?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:05 am »

I recall reading it's around 100 clowns a wave, but I don't know for sure. Personally I don't wanna spoil that information for myself.

For mining the candy the first couple z-levels of the spire should be perfectly fine...the key word here is should. Just keep in mind that the deeper you dig the more careful you want to be.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:04 am »

I would focus more on giving all your no skill dwarvs a bit of experience in weaponsmith and give armorsmithing a pass.  An adamantium artifact weapon is almost always useful (long as its not a hammer/mace) and you only need 1 mood per soldier.  Armor on the other hand you've got a good chance of geting just 1 glove or 1 boot and your looking at several moods minimum just to cover important areas on 1 dwarf and even then only if your lucky.   I'd take a full squad with assorted artifact candy weapons and just plain old masterwork candy armor (plus a shield of whatever) over 1 dwarf with artifact candy armor followed by a squad with more mundane gear (if you can call candy mundane)  1 or 2 5+ legendary armorsmiths is all you'll ever need
A little trick I have found to avoid this one glove/boot situation, make sure the armour smith have a preferance for a pice you want, If he gets a mood and he likes brestplates, he will always make a brestplate, same if he likes greaves, he will always make greaves.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:55:48 am »

you may also want to be careful with dwarves with material preferences, i had a weaponsmith once that loved tin, and yep, when he mooded, tin longsword, steel and adamantine were present, but he demanded tin, and refused to work untill i started smelting all ore i had

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:35 am »

you may also want to be careful with dwarves with material preferences, i had a weaponsmith once that loved tin, and yep, when he mooded, tin longsword, steel and adamantine were present, but he demanded tin, and refused to work untill i started smelting all ore i had

I don't think dorfs require specific materials but rather opt to pick depending on preferences?

Meaning when a dorf gets a mood you can go to the stocks screen and forbid all materials you don't want to be picked.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!
Pages: [1] 2