Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deep must i go.... [spoilers]  (Read 777 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
How deep must i go.... [spoilers]
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:12 am »

Hello, I've been playing for a while now but have never dug deep enough for Candy and pure, boiling hot, liquid !fun!
Sooo how deep do I have to go?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How deep must i go.... [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

You can usually find magma somewhere around 80-120 z-levels, but this can be changed by generating a world with fewer z-levels. It's pretty random within those rough limits, though. Just keep digging down, but be prepared to encounter caverns, which you must dig around or build stairways through.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »

If you dig a 2x2 up/down stairway at the corner of an embark square (count 48 tiles in from a corner of your embark, make the 2x2 there) and just dig down down down down down with the aid of multi-z designation, you'll eventually hit semi-molten rock and won't hit any caverns directly. Then go back up a few z-levels and strike the earth until it bleeds and melts all your miners.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

They're a bit cheaty but:

Doesn't prospect hell in dfhack give z-levels.

And I guess you could also use reveal hell for a visual indicator.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »

On my map, the great magma sea is about 10 z-levels up from the very bottom.  I wonder if that's consistent on all maps?

Just hold down the "go down a z-level" button until the counter stops, then go back up ten levels.  That's probably about where the magma is.  Candy will be plainly visible once you open up the magma, but you can also usually see it from the third cavern.  The candy in the third cavern is much easier to get to.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:19:06 pm »

Usually, I mine down to lava, and then mine into the lava sea from above to reveal the area. I usually hit lava by layer -15 (150+ levels from the surface), although I've seen it as high as around layer 10. I've also seen candy spires extend halfway up the third cavern layer.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now