Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature gnaws its way out of confinement  (Read 5481 times)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature gnaws its way out of confinement
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:41:18 pm »

I just got the message "(Tame Bat) has gnawed its way out of confinement!".  I zoomed to the message, and there's a vermin called "(Tame Bat)" flying around the incoming elf caravan.

I didn't think it was possible for a creature to escape a cage like this.  Can this happen if the cage is destroyed?  I think I read somewhere that destroying a cage destroys the creature, but that was for an older version of DF.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature gnaws its way out of confinement
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:26 pm »

Bats have the [GNAWER] token, which allows them to escape from cages and animal traps, though I don't know any specific information around gnawing.

I'd assume that quality and material may affect how easy it is for an animal with gnawer to escape, but I'm not positive on that.

It's not unheard of for there to be unmarked vermin in the cages that caravans often bring, but I've never seen anything escape from them before.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »

Are the animal traps made of wood?

I'm pretty sure any metal would keep them in. I caught like 15 rats a few forts back with wooden traps not thinking about it only to be spammed by escaping rats and a messy cat frenzy.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:18:58 pm »

Many vermin have the ability to gnaw through things so that they can better threaten your food stores, this is why you make drums, pots, and jugs. The cages are an unfortunate side effect. This is of course unless you give the tag to a large predator, then it's a great source of hilarity FUN. Bonus points for giving them Candy teeth.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:34:28 pm »

See this bug report - vermin should only escape from artifact containers due to a bug.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6117

However if you patch the bug:
Quote from: Quietust
This patch could lead to hilarity with Elven caravans - they bring all sorts of vermin in wooden cages, and any with [GNAWER] would immediately escape upon arrival

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »

See this bug report - vermin should only escape from artifact containers due to a bug.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6117

However if you patch the bug:
Quote from: Quietust
This patch could lead to hilarity with Elven caravans - they bring all sorts of vermin in wooden cages, and any with [GNAWER] would immediately escape upon arrival

I'm using Masterwork Mod, so... pretty good chance it's patched.

Also, the horse that was carrying the bat died for some random reason shortly afterward (probably a boiling rock syndrome), and the merchants fled by heading down my main stairwell and exiting through the first cavern.  I'm gonna have to start thinking of the elves as my annual shipment of weirdness.

I wonder if they'll go to war over their suicidal merchants...
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:46:09 am »

Wait, so this works with big creatures too?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

You can look forward to having (Tame Bat) grace your animals screen and pasture list forever. It won't go away even after the bat leaves the map. I'm up to two in my game so far.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »

You must not have any cats then. I tried to give a dwarf a pet cardinal one time and one of the pet cats ate it.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.