Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about the Circus (SPOILERS)  (Read 1134 times)

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about the Circus (SPOILERS)
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »

How many legendary military dwarfs is a good number before contacting the circus? How strong are clowns?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Questions about the Circus (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:12:06 pm »

How many legendary military dwarfs is a good number before contacting the circus? How strong are clowns?
Anywhere from 10 to 200. Technically, just 1. There was once a tale of the Dwarven child who somehow held off the circus alone until he starved to death. Still trying to figure out how.
It appears that the clown car's size could be tied in to worth.
Generally, imagine clowns all individually to be as strong as a weak forgotten beast. Capable of destroying things many times larger than it is, and they're quite large to begin with.
Should you be unfortunate enough to find an FB made of metal, you are almost certainly already doomed.
I've seen a Fort fall to a flying steel scorpion... I have yet to see one that also breathes fire.
They can die.

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »

So If I contact the circus and have around 50 legendary dwarfs, they'll probably get slaughtered?

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:37:10 pm »

Maybe or maybe not.  Being 100% random you could luck out with a bunch of salt fiends which are fairly easy to kill or headless/limbless blobs that will devour you to the last dwarf.  It is common to soften them up with a bunch of repeating lever traps, just keep in mind many of them fly and they can all swim in water and magma when you design a trap hallway. 
I have had some bad things happen when i tried to soften them up with ballistas and crossbows.

I'd go for it.   50 legendary sounds plenty if you are lucky.  You can always learn from your mistakes for next time.

However you go about it good luck and watch out for syndromes.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »

Adamantine battle axes can kill metal creatures, unless of course they're made of adamantine themselves.  Likewise, steel battle axes can handle anything made of materials inferior to steel.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:30:50 pm »

Just be aware that your casualties will be quite high if you attempt a melee battle. If you use a cave-in trap instead you can save the lives of countless dwarves!

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:14 pm »

Adamantine battle axes can kill metal creatures, unless of course they're made of adamantine themselves.  Likewise, steel battle axes can handle anything made of materials inferior to steel.
Can a forgotten beast (or any random generated [ex:demons]) made by adamantine? I really never see that.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »

I know for a fact that titans/forgotten beasts can't. Demons I'm not so sure about.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:34:38 pm »

Since your only hope of killing a steel Titan out in the open(other then the little trap that doomed Boatmurdered)  is adamantine, with adamantine being the strongest non-modded metal, actually having adamantine enemies show up would be horribly unfair rather than a surmountable under the right circumstances challenge. So I seriously doubt that you need to worry about that........ unless your playing a mod and the asshat creator decided to put in Adamantine Colossuses then you have a problem. 
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:31:39 am »

Steel is worse than adamantine. A fully adamantine creature, no matter the size would weigh little more than a feather and would find its limbs paradoxically dent and crack in the face of overwhelming force, like that of a steel scorpion's claw.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 04:44:54 am »

Steel is worse than adamantine. A fully adamantine creature, no matter the size would weigh little more than a feather and would find its limbs paradoxically dent and crack in the face of overwhelming force, like that of a steel scorpion's claw.

To a metal creature, only severings matter.  How does the severing difficulty compare?
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »

Generally, imagine clowns all individually to be as strong as a weak forgotten beast.
Hmmm... I could have sworn that, looking at them in the RAWs, that forgotten beasts, titans, and demons are all almost exactly identical, just with demons having a higher minimum skill level. Guess I'll have to look again.

Also, demon attack range is maxed at 15, again, just by the RAWs. Max crossbow range is 20. That means you can generate (potentially) a special setup where your xbowmen can pepper them with arrows safely. Make sure there's NO way they can get closer, though. I'd use some combo of Z-levels to create the distance as well.

One crossbow hit to the leg WILL force a demon to crawl along, taking a massive speed hit, so even if you find it nigh-impossible to kill them with bows, peppering them with arrows will weaken them. And probably kill the annoying ones like the explosive demons.