Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40531 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »

But if you let 7 random dwarves come in and choose what to bring, with no input from you, you can't really do that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »

The one good way to Hardcorize (and improve) and heavily plot-centered game, is to make all of them ironman, forever, with dynamic endings depending on what you've acomplished (or fucked up).

ToEE had something like this running, i think so did Storm of Zenith, but neither were heavy on plot.

For any sneaking game, use the guards from Thief 2's improved difficulty mods, that made them relentlessly seek you out, and always - and i do mean ALWAYS - find you in the end.
One life, pacifist ghost difficulty being the only one.
Mmmm.. I need to play some old sneakers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:11:48 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: You have to play through the childhood of your starting 7 in Adventure Mode to make up their starting stats and skills. You could leave it to the AI, but it's Dwarf Fortress' AI.

I'd love the option to have my starting seven chosen at random from the pool of dwarves in the world. It'd make for very interesting starts. There should always be a default miner though. Unless you want to go Hardercore.

Hardcorer: you have to engineer their successful meetup, from a randomly chosen group of candidates, as a Dwarven bureaucrat with no combat skills.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:48:51 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2013, 12:01:12 am »

Hardcore DF: Fortress mode is controlled through dictates and commands given by a single dwarf. Somebody got a grudge against you? Guess who won't be making any more stone mugs for the caravans...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:23 am »

Hardcore DF: Fortress mode is controlled through dictates and commands given by a single dwarf. Somebody got a grudge against you? Guess who won't be making any more stone mugs for the caravans...
So essentially Ultima Regio Regium?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2013, 01:59:35 am »

So essentially Ultima Regio Regium?

Pretty much.

Hardcore Terraria: Starbound.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:22 am »

(Actually) planned, no timeline.
Reading a thinner book

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2013, 12:17:06 pm »

Is it? I thought that got a "no" in future of the fortress...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »

Is it? I thought that got a "no" in future of the fortress...

I thought it got "in the grim darkness of the far future..." He has stated that if we get to play as Leaders, we'll have to deal with everything that goes with the position. Ergo-
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:29:58 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »

Casual Space station 13

Admin staff is Knows everythring ever, and knows when the griffers are coming,

Atmos is easy to understand,

security autmaticly gets items that tell what the person has on them, what they have done in combat, and basiclyif he is A tator or not

Tators get shot guns that one shot one kill.

everything ever is simple and easy to do, with small minigames.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2013, 09:02:45 pm »

Hardcore Pong: If you die in the game, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE!

Casual Bejeweled: Gems fall sorted into rows based on color.

Casual Morrowind: Remove unused weapons such as spears and crossbows, and a few other skills. Merge axes with clubs. Remove skill and stat requirements for joining guilds. Add constant mana regeneration. Add aggressive auto-balancing. Shift design direction from large amounts of text to a shorter story with less dialogue and all of it voice-acted. Reduce number of player choices in quest style.

Casual Oblivion: Remove stats. Merge all weapons into two categories. Add constant health regneration. Shift design direction to a shorter story with less dialogue. Add stoy justification for most NPCs liking the PC on sight and cooperating with him. Reduce number of player choices in quest style.

Casual Skyrim: Remove skills. Merge all skill checks into a single "level" stat. Remove bothersome "Health" and "Mana" concepts. Story consists of "There's some bandits over there." and "Thank you for killing the bandits!". PC is the one hero destined to save the world, and every single living person likes him. The other multiplayer PCs are also the single hero destined to save the world.

Hardcore ARMA: Actually being a soldier...

Casual Surgeon Simulator 2013: Two hands.

Hardcore Surgeon Simulator 2013: No hands.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:06:41 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »

Wait, there were crossbows in Morrowind? I don't remember crossbows. I remember spears, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:58 pm »

Casual Hardcore-er Surgeon Simulator 2013: Two hands.

Except both hands are individually controlled. It's a co-op game.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2013, 10:01:44 pm »

Casual Space station 13

Admin staff is Knows everythring ever, and knows when the griffers are coming,

Atmos is easy to understand,

security autmaticly gets items that tell what the person has on them, what they have done in combat, and basiclyif he is A tator or not

Tators get tasers shot guns that one shot destroy everything one kill.

everything ever is simple and easy to do, with small minigames.

Good sir I believe these are already implemented.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »

Casual Morrowind: Remove unused weapons such as spears and crossbows, and a few other skills. Merge axes with clubs. Remove skill and stat requirements for joining guilds. Add constant mana regeneration. Add aggressive auto-balancing. Shift design direction from large amounts of text to a shorter story with less dialogue and all of it voice-acted. Reduce number of player choices in quest style.

Casual Oblivion: Remove stats. Merge all weapons into two categories. Add constant health regneration. Shift design direction to a shorter story with less dialogue. Add stoy justification for most NPCs liking the PC on sight and cooperating with him. Reduce number of player choices in quest style.

Casual Skyrim: Remove skills. Merge all skill checks into a single "level" stat. Remove bothersome "Health" and "Mana" concepts. Story consists of "There's some bandits over there." and "Thank you for killing the bandits!". PC is the one hero destined to save the world, and every single living person likes him. The other multiplayer PCs are also the single hero destined to save the world.

While I can't speak for Morrowind, Skyrim is already a casual game.  Its designed so that you can go anywhere and not have to worry about how hard the enemies will be (level scaling), the difficulty is low unless you build your character a certain way, there's no punishment for death and your character is a crazy ultimate hero that can do pretty much anything including leading multiple guilds that are opposed to each other.  Oblivion is essentially the same game but harder and less balanced.

On top of that, the whole experience is pretty cheerful.  Yeah if you pay attention to the plot there's some depression stuff going on, but the experience as a whole involves a lot of success for your character, and a lot of bright colors and cool looking landscapes.  Compare say the Witcher where everything is drab, everyone is racist against you, and every decision you make leads to some depressing outcome or another.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26