Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40513 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 04:33:54 am »

Actual Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: No farming. Except Dimple Cups. All booze must be bought and stored and rationed accordingly.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 04:35:56 am »

Hardcore Crusader Kings II (Armageddon DLC):

Aztecs start invading 30-70 years in, heavily depopulating areas they capture for religious sacrifices. Once they start slowing down too much, an apocalypse happens as the barrier between worlds is weakened enough for hordes of Mesoamerican-themed demons to begin invading.
Viking raids are increased. They heavily depopulate areas for religious sacrifices. Once they start slowing down too much, Ragnarok happens as annoyed gods cause hordes of Nordic-themed demons to begin invading.
Muslum wars are increased. Once wars slow down, hordes of bored Muslum-themed demons begin invading.
Asian invaders occur more frequently. They slaughter people as they pass and salt the lands. Once they start slowing down, hordes of Asian-themed(mixed) demons begin invading.
West Africa gets invaded by aliens. Once they have enough thralls, they continue invading.
Atlantis rises once more! They seek to conquer coastal provinces, and use the life force of the populace to raise their aquatic overlords. Once they sacrifice enough, hordes of aquatic-themed demons begin invading.
The Incans invade. Once they do, giant spiders begin to proliferate across Europe.
The most pious of Christan lords get a few blessed weapons, allowing them small groups of elite warriors nearly able to stand toe-to-toe with non-alien inhuman foes when they have the numerical advantage and good terrain. This is disabled if Rome is ever sacked.

Hardcore Hearts of Iron:

Crossover with X-Com. Try to win the war, despite aliens occasionally annihilating entire tank corps at a go, before your enemies invent Elerium-115 nukes.

Hardcore Civilization:

After launching a spaceship, it becomes a space 4X. Can a fragmented humanity defeat united alien races? (I like this idea as a multiplayer game. Someone make this.)
I-I actually want an XCOM HoI game. Or a mod. I want this now.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 04:39:41 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: No display output, only a debugger and a memory viewer.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 05:40:59 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: Actually try to convince seven alcoholic midgets to leave civilization behind and dig a massive fortress into the side of a mountain.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 06:08:00 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress.  No pause mode.  Or saving.

Casual Dwarf Fortress.  Every friend you invite to share DF with gives all dwarfs a +1 happiness bonus.  Every day you can give ten friends a gift of an adamantite weapon/armour part.  Or a raise dead scroll which can then be used to revive any dwarf.  Or a gift pack with a bar of soap, a crystral goblet, and a microcline toy soldier.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 06:10:45 am »

Hardcore dwarf fortress: Keyboard commands are not displayed.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 06:21:08 am »

Hardcore Civ V:
- Units require supply lines from friendly territory, they run out of supplies quickly if on campaign for too long.
- Trade routes require actual connections, no more trading with somebody on the other side of the world through hostile territory from the moment you meet them
- Shit can actually go wrong: lack of money can cause revolts, bombardment of cities can cause infrastructural damage, which in turn creates revolts, not being able to supply a trading partner the goods/cash you promised in an exchange will cause them to declare war or severely punish you with embargoes, being at war constantly  will create unhappiness... with preferable no easy way to fix these problems, so that actual spirals of disaster could befall any empire.
- When too much unhappiness piles up or things go too wrong, civil war ensues and the country splits in two.
- Cities ranged attack reduced to 1 range or completely removed.
- Ridiculous upgrade combos for units removed, units lose experience over time when they don't fight, units lose experience when getting hurt, healing units costs money, healing cities costs money.
- Social policies will have both benefits and drawbacks, not just benefits.
- Religions can't be completely controlled, a strong religion severely limits the choices an empire can make without pissing off it's people.

Casual anything:
- Cutscenes, then click the buttons you're told to click, then more cutscenes, the End.

Not trying to bash casual games or anything  8)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 06:21:48 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: No display output, only a debugger and a memory viewer.
I wish someone would mock this up and post about it on /v/. The reactions would be beautiful.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 06:49:07 am »

I-I actually want an XCOM HoI game. Or a mod. I want this now.

I had that idea ages ago too. "You know what would make this really cool? Aliens!". Considering HoI2 supposedly had Zombie mods, I was hopeful.

Casual Swat 3 (or any Swat title, I guess):
-A minimap with different colour blips for teammates, suspects and hostages
-Ammo display
-You and your teammates are unkillable ála Rainbow Six Vegas
-Lone suspects much more likely to surrender to just verbal orders

Alternatively, Hardcore Swat 3:
-'One shot, one kill' instead of 'short burst, one kill'
-Harsher penalties for improper use of (lethal) force
-Increase suspect # by a quarter or so and,
-Add a prowling hunter-killer AI so that they can hunt you down and conduct ambushes in the more labyrinthine levels
-Supporting the above, both you and the AI can rig booby traps on doors
-Suspect AI that actually executes hostages when appropriate
-A more hysterical/chaotic hostage/civilian AI, they will be more unpredictable before being cuffed, and can pick up weapons to use against you or the suspects, depending on their state of mind

Casual anything:
- Cutscenes, then click the buttons you're told to click, then more cutscenes, the End.

To me that sounds like Metal Gear Solid, a game I wouldn't exactly call casual.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 06:50:39 am »

Posting to laugh...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 07:05:55 am »

Casual Dwarf Fortress: Micro transactions to obtain slade weaponry.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 07:07:04 am »

Not candy weaponry and fully armored dwarves with NO_FEAR?
Highly Opinionated Fool

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 07:11:33 am »

Not candy weaponry and fully armored dwarves with NO_FEAR?

Only with the Digital Deluxe edition.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 07:19:22 am »

Ah. So what edition do you get twenty starting dwarves with assault weaponry?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2013, 07:20:55 am »

Casual Civilization IV...

Civilization V.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26