Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40435 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:10 pm »

Rules are fairly simple.

Take a game, and change its gameplay mechanics/dynamics/aesthetics to make it a much more hardcore or casual experience.

A few notes here.

HARDCORE GAMES
Mechanics are usually elaborate.
Generally inaccessible to the community at large.
Can be very deep and complex, much more than any casual game will ever be. (don't have to, though)
Their difficulty curve is usually pretty steep, reaching a cliff-like posture for something like DF.
Grim-ish aesthetics are fairly common.

An exception to all of the rules is Super Meat Boy, though.

CASUAL GAMES
Are pretty shallow and simple.
Much more accessible and easy to jump right into than hardcore productions.
Learning curves are gentle or downright flat.
Atmosphere is, by and large, fairly cheerful.

All of that for better or for worse.

NOW, GO!

Hardcore Team Fortress 2 - DF-esque damage system, you have to manually craft/collect every piece of ammunition and metal for your weapons, wounds are slow to heal, battles can and will take a long time to finish.
Oh, and all the terrain is destructible. And I mean ALL of it. You can even break spawn room walls for all I care. Or dig a tunnel that goes straight into the enemy base. With a knife.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:16:41 pm »

Dark Souls Casual:
Basically Skyrim
Hits deal 5-10% damage to you, but 50-100% damage to enemies.
Shields block bleed and magic.
Poison just fogs your screen and doesn't do any real damage.
Everyone bows before a fight.
Cliffs have railing.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »

Dark Souls Casual:
Basically Skyrim
Cliffs have railing.

Don't forget autosaves/quicksaves and infinite Estus!

WhenInRome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:23:44 pm »

Dark Souls Casual:
Basically Skyrim
Cliffs have railing.

Don't forget autosaves/quicksaves and infinite Estus!

And enemies stop attacking whenever you use Estus.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:24:19 pm »

Binding of Isaac Casual:

-Autosaves on every floor.
-No "the game just got harder!"
-No Masks or Mask of Infamy
-No Lasers or Turrets
-No damage modifier on the Womb
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

Hardcore world of Warcraft - everything is player run, economy and everything is made by players and the horde and alliance are fighting over territory and dwindling resources while fighting internal infighting between guilds trying to acquire resources for the right against the horde mixing in a DF style damage system and good quality weapons being a rarity after such a long war and and massive amounts of resources being used and wasted on the long war with players fighting just to make a living - also permanent death and bringing in a more sandbox gameplay where doing dungeons and bringing back long forgotten weapons or magical tomes of great power could turn the tide of the war and see one race finally win and bring back some peace to the world ( and then once a race has won the war everything resets or transcends to where old enemy pop back up small fights here little loss of territory there before the horde come back in full force ( Maybe once a alliance has won recourses become less scarce giving the side to bring in more recourses and better ways to get them putting less strain before the beaten side returns for a second fight ).
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:17:11 pm »

Hardcore world of Warcraft - everything is player run, economy and everything is made by players and the horde and alliance are fighting over territory and dwindling resources while fighting internal infighting between guilds trying to acquire resources for the right against the horde mixing in a DF style damage system and good quality weapons being a rarity after such a long war and and massive amounts of resources being used and wasted on the long war with players fighting just to make a living - also permanent death and bringing in a more sandbox gameplay where doing dungeons and bringing back long forgotten weapons or magical tomes of great power could turn the tide of the war and see one race finally win and bring back some peace to the world ( and then once a race has won the war everything resets or transcends to where old enemy pop back up small fights here little loss of territory there before the horde come back in full force ( Maybe once a alliance has won recourses become less scarce giving the side to bring in more recourses and better ways to get them putting less strain before the beaten side returns for a second fight ).

Blizzard, hire this man.
Actually, isn't there a game like this already? (beyond TESO, to an extent)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »

Blizzard, hire this man.

I don't think so I would love something like that. I also had more:

As both sides fight and the industrial people mine, harvest and craft the world degrades mines dry up and species of plants die out as the war reaches a stalemate blacksmiths have to find new ways to recycle old and broken weapons pay millions for a single nugget of metal and naturalists buy land to try and bring in more food and cultivate valuable plants for medicine and poisons. Where soldiers steal weapons of fallen foes to try and fix their own weapons or make enough money to gather other equipment. There are no NPc's in the world and players are there on the frontlines and in the castles at high command as well. All inventions of new weapons or medicine come from players experimenting with something ? I don't know just ideas...

Man I wish something existed like this, I suppose I will stick with eve for now haha
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 02:45:52 pm »

Blizzard, hire this man.

I don't think so I would love something like that. I also had more:

As both sides fight and the industrial people mine, harvest and craft the world degrades mines dry up and species of plants die out as the war reaches a stalemate blacksmiths have to find new ways to recycle old and broken weapons pay millions for a single nugget of metal and naturalists buy land to try and bring in more food and cultivate valuable plants for medicine and poisons. Where soldiers steal weapons of fallen foes to try and fix their own weapons or make enough money to gather other equipment. There are no NPc's in the world and players are there on the frontlines and in the castles at high command as well. All inventions of new weapons or medicine come from players experimenting with something ? I don't know just ideas...

Man I wish something existed like this, I suppose I will stick with eve for now haha

Re-post this in the GYWE thread.
DO IT.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:22:15 pm »

E3 2014: Kirby: Pink Peril

"We at Nintendo of Japan realize the hardcore market is the largest bee's nest in gaming, and we have no honey. To diversify our offerings, we're happy to present the newest Kirby game: Pink Peril!

Join Kirby and his friends on an exciting new adventure across ten deadly worlds! Kirby's liver has been stolen by the nefarious King Dedede, and that dastardly Penguin is holding the precious organ hostage on a star far, far away. Fight to regain Kirby's liver before the pink puffball dies after days of grueling fever and jaundice.

All-new powers and improvements on the old! Kirby can run, jump and swallow his way through the game with abilities such as Sword, Fire, Swollen Abdomen and Coma. But watch out: Kirby's not able to properly digest enemies like before, so every enemy swallowed deals permanent, painful damage to our Star Warrior hero.

Keep your eyes out for hidden items! Grab some Pabst Blue Ribbon to increase Kirby's health and accelerate his rapid degeneration. Break into private research laboratories to steal stem cells (collect them all for a secret 'good' ending)!

Plenty of customization! Enter shady tattoo parlors to change Kirby's appearance - permanent doesn't matter with only weeks to live! With microtransactions, you can customize the car Kirby drives off a cliff with in the 'Bad Ending.'

Keep an eye out for the Christmas release of Kirby: Pink Peril for 3DS and Wii U!"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:09:59 pm by freeformschooler »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »

Hope this doesn't become a stereotypical "Bash those filthy casuals" thing.

Hardcore Spore: becomes a god game at all stages, where the challenge is not survival but rather getting your creature to look like what you want it to. You micromanage the environment, changing the situation to encourage evolution of specific traits.

Casual I Wanna Be The Guy: You have hitpoints.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:52:24 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »

Hardcore draughts: Every piece is sharpened to a razor edge, and if a piece of yours gets taken you have to swallow it. Also, there are no combos. The winner is not decided by who clears the board, and actually the board is simply reset with new pieces if one side loses. The winner is determined by who takes longer to die of internal bleeding.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

Hardcore Clue: Players are locked in a mansion, and one kills another according to roles randomly assigned by a computer.

Casual Lugaru: Every level has a weapon.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 04:23:10 pm »

Hardcore Hitman: You are never given the option to take guns at the start of a mission and are almost incapable of handling firearms. All guards know to look out for your trademark suit and bald head, even when you're not in a restricted area. Level layout is semi-randomised while still maintaining puzzle aspects.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »

Hardcore: Kerbal Space Program

-Limited Budget
-Random designing errors and in flight failures
-Cities you're not supposed to hit in inconvenient locations.
-Kerbalnauts are no longer infinite.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26