Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40524 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »

Hey, you missed the part where you start with a minigun, full skills and a tank.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2013, 01:24:51 pm »

Hey, you missed the part where you start with a minigun, full skills and a tank.

Nah. There's casual gameplay, and there's cheating :P Good examples of casual games are Cut The Rope, Angry Birds and Farmville. Something that is fun, challenging enough but very fair, and not at all stressful or time consuming.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2013, 03:37:01 pm »

Casual Gears of War:

I know i'm late to this threat, but great balls I want this so bad

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »

Nah. There's casual gameplay, and there's cheating :P Good examples of casual games are Cut The Rope, Angry Birds and Farmville. Something that is fun, challenging enough but very fair, and not at all stressful or time consuming.
Yeah. Something to remember is that casual games don't actually have to be easy, just simple and consistent in terms of mechanics.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »

Well, I wouldn't say an addictive casual game isn't time consuming.

Casual Elder Scrolls:
-You get 1 attack, with spacebar, changeable by equiping a different weapon/spell.
-View is now 2d topdown
-No selling stuff, monsters just drop GP
-No leveling up, just equipment
-You can buy an enterprise that makes money while you're not playing the game.
-Still open world in vast area, just 1 less spatial dimension. Also mostly randomly generated, like the early ones.

Hardcore Elder Scrolls:
-Every kind of enemy requires a unique and very intricate combo to kill, which is randomized with every new game and thus must be discovered through trial and error.
-Quest essential NPC's try to kill you, must be subdued with an even more intricate immobilization combo which, with just one mistake, either kills you or becomes the kill combo.
-Grelod, Fargoth, and the Adoring Fan can shoot lightning from their fingertips and have flying monkeys to assist them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:14 pm »

Hard(er)core FTL: repairing breaches, doors or equipment costs scrap.  The oxygen generator uses up fuel at a slow rate.

Edit: actually, no, that's simply harder FTL.

Hardcore FTL: each of your crewmembers have specific attributes and training, prior to you acquiring them, which dictates how good they initially are at doing certain tasks (piloting, shield operation, etc.)  These skills can be improved over time.  Crewmembers don't have hitpoints, instead they suffer bodypart-specific damage (semi DF-like).  Your engineer loses a hand?  Prepare for his/her engineering to be impacted accordingly.  Your medic loses a leg?  They're not going to crawl away from that airlock quick enough.  Also, atmospheric simulation is improved - breaches or suddenly-opened airlocks will cause air in accessible compartments to flood outwards, dragging objects and people with it.  Also, detailed diplomacy - you can negotiate your way past some encounters, but make an enemy in an early sector and let the ship/crew escape and, who knows, they might come after you later on.  Your ship has fuel tanks, which can be targeted and can explode (if containing fuel), damaging nearby other compartments.  Individual systems have individual wiring (to either your engine or a generator-type compartment), which can be damaged in combat and need to be fixed accordingly.  Crewmembers can electrocute themselves if unprepared/unskilled.  Asteroids can be mined for scrap (or other), but this takes time and needs to be done by crewmembers by hand (you're not flying a mining vessel, remember?), with all associated risks/rewards.  The time pressure from the oncoming rebel fleet isn't as immediate, and you can perform slightly wider/better scans of your local systems, but the difficulty curve moves upwards to accommodate (so you need to work on improving your ship/crew more, rather than purely being able to/having to trust to luck).

Ship customisation (beyond simple binary "does this compartment exist here yes/no") would also be an option.

Edit 2: also, why only the one ship?  If I cause another ship to surrender/kill all its crew, and I've got enough crewmembers to spare, why can't I captain one ship while having another following me in support?  Hell, if the rebels can have a fleet/armada then so can I!  Of course, maybe the crewmember I've given control of the other ship to might not like me as much as I think.  Crew personalities could come into play.  Perhaps they'll abandon me...or turn on me...at a critical moment.  Hmm.  Might be best to blast them out of the stars first.  Or make sure I'm in the stronger of my ships.  Just in case.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:29:19 pm by jhxmt »
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:08 am »

Hardcore Anything: No saving. No loading. Must play entire game in one straight play-through like Battletoads/Ghouls N Goblins.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »

Hardcore Anything: No saving. No loading. Must play entire game in one straight play-through like Battletoads/Ghouls N Goblins.
Welcome to the 80s.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »

Hardcore Needlessly tedious and annoying Anything: No saving. No loading. Must play entire game in one straight play-through like Battletoads/Ghouls N Goblins.
FTFY

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:23 pm »

Hardcore FTL: Also, your crew has morale and loyalty values to consider, and can go into tantrum spirals.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »

And require alcohol to get through the working day.

Casual KSP:
-Every fuel tank has twice as much fuel
-Unintentional spinning greatly reduced
-2D graphics with side view, goal is to get high score. Every meter in altitude = 1 point.
-Either that, or every second in the air = 1 point.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2013, 01:26:20 pm »

Casual KSP:
-2D graphics with side view, goal is to get high score. Every meter in altitude = 1 point.
No, not that. You get points for flight time, and gain extra fuel for performing tricks in flight, and collecting bonuses. Accumulating a certain amount of points, or collecting a certain amount of bonuses, unlocks a new celestial body for you to do the same things on.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »

Casual KSP:
No, not that. You get points for flight time, and gain extra fuel for performing tricks in flight, and collecting bonuses. Accumulating a certain amount of points, or collecting a certain amount of bonuses, unlocks a new celestial body for you to do the same things on.
So basically the same as all of those flash games that exist?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:45 pm »

Basically, yes. Well, it's casual, innit? :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

Yeah. Something to remember is that casual games don't actually have to be easy, just simple and consistent in terms of mechanics.

The way I define them is that casual is easy to pick up, while hardcore isn't. What makes a game easy to pick up is intuitiviness and to a degree, being easy. That doesn't mean that it won't get hard, or there won't be a specific 'hard-mode' or something. Tetris may be casual but trying to survive for 10 minutes in a +10 speed game isn't easy.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26