Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 40555 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress: Enforced real time. One dwarf day is one real day long.

Good luck.
It won't be really that much harder. Just incredibly boring. :P

Well... I assume in this case, walking through the fortress and building a wall wouldn't take a month.
Neither would the forgotten beastie take two weeks to swim up the cistern.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »

Don't you guys know anything about Hardcore gaming?

Boring is the epitome of hardcore! and BOY do I wish I was lying... but no.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »

Hardcore Neonivek:

No cynicism is allowed to be posted on the B12 forum.
Pessimism is also banned.
He must wear a floral hat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2013, 03:20:29 pm »

Don't you guys know anything about Hardcore gaming?

Boring is the epitome of hardcore! and BOY do I wish I was lying... but no.
Due to having the experience of having to sortie a MiG-3 from an airfield under attack, fight off the attackers, then land back - with all IL-2 Sturmovik simulation options turned up - I beg to differ.

It all depends on what is being done hardcore. Some things are more fun when they are hardcore.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2013, 04:20:36 pm »

Hardcore X-Com:

- Soldiers can become afraid of certain species of aliens and automatically panic when they see them.
- Craft can be shot down by alien bases. Alien ships will actively hunt your ships and shoot them down.
- Training schedules. Skills that are not actively trained will atrophy. Training a skill too fast leads to injury or sometimes even death by training accident.
- You actually have to negotiate with the Council of Funding Nations every month for your pay check. Successes make it easier to deal, but it's never guaranteed.
- Aliens now have a massive Mothership that shows up late in the game. It can burn cities and bases from high altitude with no warning. To stop it, you have to board it and clear it. All ten floors have to be cleared. Stray shots in the engine room or near the outer hull blow the entire thing out of the air, killing the entire team and leaving no materials. Every rank of every species is present to some extent, although it is mostly crewed by Mutons.

This actually sounds hellaciously fun, save for the 10 floor mothership. A little excessive. Maybe just a few floors but full of hard enemies.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:20 pm »

Who in their right mind would be scared of a Floater?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »

ITT: Sequels are more casual than their prequels.

I don't know, Witcher 2 was all sorts of fun.

There it is again. Using casual as a synonym for "less fun, worse quality."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

ITT: Sequels are more casual than their prequels.

I don't know, Witcher 2 was all sorts of fun.

There it is again. Using casual as a synonym for "less fun, worse quality."

Picky picky picky picky. "All sorts of fun" =/= "MOAR FUN"

But I'll indulge you. Witcher 2 was more challenging in many aspects. I was unhappy with a few changes, but overall the game was more immersive and more challenging. A worthy sequel.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »

Picky picky picky picky. "All sorts of fun" =/= "MOAR FUN"

But I'll indulge you. Witcher 2 was more challenging in many aspects. I was unhappy with a few changes, but overall the game was more immersive and more challenging. A worthy sequel.
It was more about defending a sequel as being fun because he said sequels were more casual.

Hardcore Neonivek:

No cynicism is allowed to be posted on the B12 forum.
Pessimism is also banned.
He must wear a floral hat.

Hardcore Bay12Forums:
-New replies to topics you've posted in removed, now you must keep track of them in a ledger and find them with google.
-You get a new password everyday, which is randomly selected from the seeds of your DF worlds. If all have been used, DF generates a pocket world.
-There is a point system. Replies cost 100 points, new threads cost 10,000. You get 50 points every time someone replies to one of your posts. Everyone gets 1000 points at the end of every month.
-Scamps is moderator, punishes non-cat-praising posts with IRL lightning.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »

Does that include posts that are neutral about/have nothing to do with cats?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »

Yes, but you'll be fine as long as you end all your posts with "In the morning, remember to praise cats."

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »

Alright, here I go. Good ol' Metal Gear Solid!

More Hardcore: Enemies have realistic cones of vision. They also shoot you in the head after knocking you down. Items don't come back, even if you leave the area.

More Casual: Solid Snake can take thousands of bullets like in Call Of Duty. Bullets move slowly. You still need to reload, but you have unlimited ammo.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:56 pm »

More Hardcore: Enemies have realistic cones of vision.
This one is actually true on European Extreme in MGS2 and MGS3.

Anyway, Hardcore X-Com Mk. II:

-Chryssalids are now the exponential threat they logically should be. Fail a mission without killing all Chryssalids present and they will begin to massively grow in number until the nation(s) they were dropped within must be sterilized in nuclear fire lest Earth be overrun.

-Every nation on Earth is now represented within the Council, and conflicts between them are possible that will effect soldiers of relevant nationalities.

-When a nation becomes allium-sympathizing scum they begin to actively work against the rest of humanity, attacking both them and X-Com. Keep the nuclear club out of allium hands if you know what's good for you. Time passing slowly raises the control the aliens have over all nations.

-Elerium-115 is hazardously radioactive outside of a containment field.

-As the war drags on Earth's economy begins to crash into the ground, severely limiting what funding you might still have.

-Be careful what you sell on the Black Market. Who knows where those laser cannons might end up...

-The Skyranger can be intercepted and shot down by hostile craft, be they alien or human in nature.

-Injury times are now very realistic, with critical wounds taking months to recover from without....liberating certain advancements in medical technology from the alliums.

-Ethereals can exert mind control that only ends if they are killed. Killing a unit that is mind controlling one of your own causes psychic backlash which can be fatal. You automatically fail a mission if all living soldiers are under mind control.

-If you fail a mission in such a way that the alliums can recover your solider's bodies, they will gain any technological advances X-Com has made. If they obtain a mind controlled solider they immediately know the location of your base and will send the mindjacked solider(s) to attack it alongside their usual forces.

-Once the alliums confirm the location of your base their attacks will be frequent and increasingly brutal. Scientists and Engineers are at risk of death during these attacks and are defenseless aside from the chance that they might acquire a weapon.

-A solider panicking invokes a panic check on all soliders who can see them. Yes, this does mean a panic spiral is more likely than not to occur.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:54 pm »

Ptw.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:54 pm »

More Hardcore: Enemies have realistic cones of vision.
This one is actually true on European Extreme in MGS2 and MGS3.

Anyway, Hardcore X-Com Mk. II:
[snip]

Whoever owns X-Com now, hire this man!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26