Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I now have 4 vampires in my fortress  (Read 2758 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I now have 4 vampires in my fortress
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:12 pm »

If the Vampire King has no children then you lose the King permanently if he dies.  This goes for other hereditary noble positions as well, currently.  It is debated by some that this is actually a good thing, however. ;)

I think, but can't remember for sure, that Toady either has or is going to fix this for the next release so someone else is selected as king/baron/whatever if the current one dies childless.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:35 am »

2. What items do these vampires needs in the training room for training?
Uhm, same as normal dorf military?

Vamps prey on sleeping dwarfs, I believe they could eat other sleeping creatures as well, but I've never had both a vampire and tigermen or FB with sleeping syndrome in one fortress.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

bllius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:27:00 pm »

Weaponization has failed (too bad, I wanted to name the squad Fangs Force Four).

1. Training barracks with danger room with appropriate ceiling and floor grates took too long to build (in case a permanent solution was needed).
2. During #1, the vamps have grown progressively mentally unstable.
3. Unbarricading the doors and changing warrens from individual rooms to the training barracks resulted in:
3a. The squad leader (the one with the most military prowess) became insane (seeing cannot pickup equipment, too insane - spammed across the report channel reminded me of Dr. Strangelove). Eventually he was removed from the squad whereupon he went back to his room to be locked in.
3b. The insane mayor stayed in his room the entire time and refused to budge. Also removed from the squad and the door locked again. Maybe he was jealous of the vampire king's 12 000 kills, gold statues, and ridiculous mandates?
3c. The insane fisherdwarf just wandered around the endless rows of barrels filled with alcohol near the grand dining hall. Perhaps a lingering memory of delicious dwarven ale was something he could never rid himself of. It made him miserable. Eventually he went back to his miserable room where he was locked in again.
3d. The vamp king, the one with 12K kills, went on a rampage as soon as the door was unlocked. He immediately swarmed the bedrooms and proceeded to drain the blood of 3 victims (apparently, even with the military stations outside the bedroom - the fact that the king entered the bedroom of a living dwarf, and when he emerged a lifeless corpse was left, did not raise anyone's ire). Eventually he wandered into the training room where he was locked in with iron armor, battleaxes, and a danger alcov.
4. Squad training with the king was inititated.
5. After one year, a minotaur was caught in a cage outside the fortress.
6. Said minotaur was placed in stockpile above ceiling grate above training room.
7. Pitting said minotaur resulted in nothing until...
8. Dealing with an elven caravan, I missed the death notice. Checking the logs, the ferocious Minotaur had charged the Vampire King, surprising him, and dealing a death blow to his brain with a ferocious punch.
9. I am now in process of the flooding the training chamber to deal with said minotaur and retrieve the body for proper disposal. The other three vampires are too insane to be of much use. Magma plumbing is currently being constructed to deal with this gothic problem.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 04:25:52 pm »

NOES!!!! Don't kill the minotaur.  Since he was able to deal with a 12K kill vamp so easily he should be perfect for using against invading forces! ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:36 pm »

When you flood the room the vampire was built in, build a well in the floor above a tile with vampire blood on it.  Lock the door to the room with the well, and only let in elite military, highly skilled craftsmen, and your favorite dwarves.  Keep them in until you are sure the have drunk from the well.  Vampires won't drink from vampires (as far as I have read, I haven't gotten enough vampires myself).  Thus your important dwarves are safe from vampires and you have quick and convenient use for migrants.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 02:32:38 am »

NOES!!!! Don't kill the minotaur.  Since he was able to deal with a 12K kill vamp so easily he should be perfect for using against invading forces! ;)
He'd probably get massacred. Keep him as a mascot executioner. They're usually good at that stuff, especially if you can get an axe in their hands.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:21 am »

Vampire military sounds fun and efficient, but having once turned most of my fort into vampires via well of undeath I can tell you they are complete crap. They are slow and terrible at any task, including combat, because they are still affected by the "hasn't had a drink in forever" alcohol modifier. If they have recently been turned or arrived at your fort they are vastly superior to regular dwarves, but that doesn't last long. Vampirism is even more of a horrible curse for dwarves, making them crave both alcohol and blood but also unable to satisfy one of those urges.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 05:59:39 am »

Actually, you can make camp vs. vamp fights via Loyalty Cascade. Lock two vampires to the room with one dwarven merchant. Order vamps to kill the merchant. Now they are the enemies of your civ but you can still control them.

Now, bring other two vamps into that same room and they will fight.

bllius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:46 am »

I will have to try some of these ideas NEXT time. For now the minotaur has been disposed of (not much can stand against water, or my 4 squads of legendary fighters).

The 3 miserable remaining vamps are now locked in their rooms. Still working on magma plumbing in case things go awry.

Perhaps make vamps siege operators?
Pages: 1 [2]