Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing outdoor crops under a ceiling?  (Read 1042 times)

entelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing outdoor crops under a ceiling?
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:14:45 pm »

It doesn't matter if I construct a ceiling over an outdoor plot right it will still grow? Out of curiosity would doing so allow you do grow outdoor crops in freezing climates?

Thanks.

entelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Growing outdoor crops under a ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »

What about honey bee hives?

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:06 pm »

It doesn't matter if I construct a ceiling over an outdoor plot right it will still grow? Out of curiosity would doing so allow you do grow outdoor crops in freezing climates?

Thanks.
Hives, I don't know.
However, building a roof over the area after channaling out the roof will, indeed, allow you to build your outdoor farms indoors. It's also useful for setting up areas of your base as light areas to prevent Darkness Adaptation.
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »

What about honey bee hives?

Hives need to be on or adjacent to an 'outdoor' tile, I believe. The wiki says In order to house bees, a hive must be constructed on or adjacent to a tile that is above ground, but I think it's specifically outdoor, so no roofs allowed. Grates would be acceptable, though, I think...

Science!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:03 am »

Bees can pass through grates, so that grants a bit of protection.
I have never tried, but since spiders can get through fortifications (or do they just spawn on the other side?), honey bees should also be able to pass through. You could carve a fortification row and behind it channeled otside tiles covered with roofs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:11:31 am by Laurin »

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:37:23 am »

Bees will be happy under a roof, so long as the area is not labeled subterranean.  There is a reason the wiki specifies 'above ground' since outside implies not having a roof.  The only building I know of that needs to be built 'outside' as opposed to above ground is windmills.

Oh and I think temperature is not affected by making a roof, but pools will not evaporate, nor will grass become 'dry'

More on outside, inside above ground, subterranean and light can be found here
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:08 am »

do they just spawn on the other side?
Yes, they spawn on the other side. You don't even need a fortification, they'll spawn in your fort if a walled- or floored-off passageway is close enough to the edge.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 04:33:37 am »

The article on fortification makes it clear, that creatures can't pass through fortifications:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Fortification

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:06:48 am »

Vermin aren't classed as creatures for this purpose. They randomly flick in and out of existence within a range of tiles, and don't respect terrain within that range of tiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 07:12:48 am »

True. Probably the hives don't need the bees that can be seen on the map, they may be only decoration.

Some science is required. Will hives behind fortification walls produce honey?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:18:03 am »

I remember seeing a design for a beehive building, as it were, that supposedly allowed bees access to outside while keeping enemies from entering or attacking.
Code: [Select]
z2
+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
z1
FFFFF
F...F
F...F
F...F
FFFFF
z0 - ground level
#####
#OOO#
#+>+#
#OOO#
#####
Where + = floor
          F = fortification
          # = wall
          O = hive
          > = downwards stair
          .  = open space

From what i remember, the person who designed it said it worked and they generated honey without threat of attack.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »

Aren't you missing the point here? it's a freezing biome, unless you have another non-freezing biome in the same map, how are you going to get bees to put in your beehive in the first place? AFAIK you can't import them so you'll need at least one natural beehive so your beekeeper gets the first colony from and then wait to split the colony from your artificial hives if there are no more...

Can you have an adventurer "seed" a starting beehive?