Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves melt away  (Read 626 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves melt away
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:45 am »

Hey guys,

I was experimenting with some settings in creature_standards to create a dwarven-free world earlier on and changed dwarven body temperature from [HOMEOTHERM:10067] to 20000. I forgot to change it back before creating a new world a few minutes ago and my dwarves all melted the second I unpaused after embarking.
I had made a copy of the world gen before, so I went back into the txt file, changed body temperature to normal and started the same world again. But my dwarves are still melting away. Any idea why that is the case?  :(

UberFuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves melt away
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:33:43 am »

Did you change the raw in the save file (df\data\save\region_x\raw)?
When DF gen a new world, it copies all the raw files over and use the copied version. Changing the raw in the main DF directory (df\raw) doesn't change what your generated world sees.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:14 am »

yes, i changed it back for both. that's the weird thing about it  :-\

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »

They're probably still at the higher temperature, even though their normal body temperature is lower.  Give them some time to cool off.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »

They're probably still at the higher temperature, even though their normal body temperature is lower.  Give them some time to cool off.
dwarven humour? how am I supposed to let them cool off if they melt the first second I unpause?  ???

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:48:54 pm »

dwarven humour? how am I supposed to let them cool off if they melt the first second I unpause?  ???

Oh, they melt to death instantly?  Hmm... Turn off temperature and stick them in water, then turn temperature back on.  Still might not work, if they melt instantly into a puddle... only other things I can think of are to DFHack their temperatures down (probably a major hassle), or to mod them to survive those high temperatures (by giving all of their materials a high melting point).

EDIT: Since this was unintentional and you just barely embarked anyway, you may as well just trash this save and gen a new world.  But yeah, temperature taking some time to change is probably why this is happening.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:53:41 pm by Brilliand »
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.