Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 5034 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 07:49:15 am »

I have been watching a lets play of this and I really think this is a game you don't need to play at all to enjoy it, if you can find a lets play where the guy shuts up and just plays the game you can enjoy it just as if it was a tv show ( well for me anyway ).
That was what i did while doing other stuff.
This guy does not speak at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIqLht1t5k

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 07:56:02 am »

Save your money and watch a playthrough on youtube, You get the story that is recommended by others and you can skip the chest high wall shooting that is the same as all other console shooter games.
No income... As for a playthrough, hope I can find a good one. any suggestions?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 08:05:57 am »

As I said in the post before, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIqLht1t5k

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 10:40:17 am »

I was interested primarily due to the hype, but seeing as how every game reviewer is giving this game a 10/10 and praising it as if it has one of the best stories of the year makes me hesitant. Literally all I've been seeing is 10/10, and I sincerely doubt this game is good enough to be absolutely perfect in every regard. I'm going to wait until the hype dies down, and people start making honest reviews before I decide to shell out some cash for it.

Besides the broken AI - AI stealth mechanics, I really don't see many flaws with the game. Great story, great characters, and the combat builds off of Uncharted, with a lot more personal and realistic feel of people fighting to survive. The multiplayer is well-designed, with a fun and well fleshed-out metagame. I would personally give it a 9, simply because it isn't perfect, but it's damn close.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 11:08:38 am »

Would have been a lot more interested in this if it was not for the popamole console shooting. From what everyone has told me the story is great but I just can't deal with any more wallhumping and analogue aiming this decade. To the Let's Plays I go!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:02:26 pm »

It hardly involves 'wallhumping', at least not as much as an actual cover shooter.
There is no actual cover mechanic, it just stands to reason that keeping something between you and the people trying to shoot you is generally the best way to not get shot.   

I kind of find it sad that so many people would turn to Youtube playthroughs of it instead of buying it. That would seriously defeat the point of a game for me... Sure, maybe some people can't afford to shell out to buy a PS3 for a single game, but hell, I have never played the Portal series, I cannot afford a computer capable of running it, but I'm not going to just ruin the game for myself. :(
As for the shooting gameplay being poor-- let me just say, it is 100% up on Uncharted. It's nowhere near as painful, and any AI allies you have tend to actually help you, for a change. All the other parts of the gameplay, the stealth, the exploration, those are all excellent fun. If it takes a couple of shots to kill a baddie, is that really a dealbreaker?

Also it has the best (yes, best) online multiplayer of any shooter/action title I've played. Only MGO can even come close, and that's been dead for years. But anyway, even if you don't have a playstation and do not want to buy one, why spoil the game for yourself? Who knows, maybe you might have/make a friend with a PS3, or you could rent one, or you might somehow acquire one somewhere down the track.
I just don't get why people would avoid playing games by watching someone else play them instead. :P I've never done that.
I just wait until I have a chance to play these critically-acclaimed games that I miss out on for various reasons.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »

I think the point is that the game isn't all that unique in gameplay, and the gameplay is p.much just the same old cover-shooting and cover-stealth that everyone has played so much that it's not really worth buying the game to play it again, when you can just go through the story by someone else playing it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 03:34:06 pm »

I kind of find it sad that so many people would turn to Youtube playthroughs of it instead of buying it. That would seriously defeat the point of a game for me...
Well, the gameplay is a console shooter, and I know I'm not the only one that dislike console shooters, and that leaves the cinematics/plots that was praised which youtube does just as well.
I forget the other ps3 game where you run around in a desert world, thats a game where I agree that you'll have to play it and not watch it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 03:53:51 pm »

I can't help to say this, but being against a game because it has cover mechanics [of which possibly are more fluid -less gamey- than we've seen] is rather absurd. Not to mention it doesn't make you look like a more pure gamer to claim such things turn you off.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 03:56:22 pm »

I can't help to say this, but being against a game because it has cover mechanics [of which possibly are more fluid -less gamey- than we've seen] is rather absurd. Not to mention it doesn't make you look like a more pure gamer to claim such things turn you off.
It's not so much the mechanics of the game, than that the mechanics have been done so much before it's not really interesting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 04:35:06 pm »

Wasn't there a demo of this that came out like an entire year ago? Anyway, my PS3 is being repaired currently so I'll have to wait some time before I try this out. I'm surprised to hear this has multiplayer at all, much less that people would be raving about it. It seems like it would of been a singe player game, or with a very tacked on multiplayer just to fill out the features list.

It's pretty disheartening to hear so many people would completely write off the game and default to Let's Plays. Video Games are interactive stories. Feeling the struggle for yourself and overcoming challenges is the very heart and soul of a video game, and you can't really appreciate that by watching a video of someone else playing for you. If you simply don't have a PS3 or money with which to enjoy the game I totally understand that, but why would you list game mechanics as reasons to not even try? It's like people refusing to play Dwarf Fortress because the controls aren't what they're used to. No matter what your first game was, it didn't have controls or mechanics that you were used to because playing a video game requires coordination skills that aren't used anywhere else in life. It's a skill you learn same as any other, and every game has it's own set of skills to learn before you're up to speed.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »

Nonono, it's the other way around. It'd be like someone refusing to play Gran Turismo because they've already played F1 and they don't find racing simulator type games to be an interesting challenge anymore.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »

Just finished this game.

First play through, normal difficulty, the game was approximately 16 hours. This is with a modest amount of exploration - I suspect a speed run would be in the 10hr range, and full exploration might yield 18-20 hrs of play total.
Game was relatively tough for a modern shooter (no lock on/snap lock and no shooting from the hip).

This game will easily be one of the best of the year - it has a fantastic storyline and some very memorable sequences. Multiplayer is tough but has some novel dynamics to it. It's easily worth another 6 hours of entertainment. I'm already starting into my second playthrough, and really don't regret purchasing it.

I'm not going to waste my time expanding my thoughts on any other aspect of the game, because it's a AAA title and most people here aren't going to buy it anyway. Seriously, I've never read a worse thread on a game....

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 02:12:46 am »

Nonono, it's the other way around. It'd be like someone refusing to play Gran Turismo because they've already played F1 and they don't find racing simulator type games to be an interesting challenge anymore.

I'm sorry, but I see no logic in this statement whatsoever.
Generally, most videogames fit more-or-less into a certain genre. Do you only play one game of each genre, and then pass over all the others?
That's like deciding not to play ADOM because you've already played Crawl, not eating bolognese because you've already eaten carbonara, or not visiting South America because you've already been to the North one. :P
Seriously, you'd be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't contain a feature, mechanic or plot contrivance that you haven't encountered before- just the same as you'd have trouble finding a book without a familiar kind of paper, a movie shot on an entirely different kind of film, or a rock song without at least some direct inspiration from its ancestors.

Despite the fact that, maybe, there have been games in the past involving hiding behind things whilst trying to shoot people, this game does a damn good job of trying something new.

Just finished this game.

First play through, normal difficulty, the game was approximately 16 hours. This is with a modest amount of exploration - I suspect a speed run would be in the 10hr range, and full exploration might yield 18-20 hrs of play total.
Game was relatively tough for a modern shooter (no lock on/snap lock and no shooting from the hip).

This game will easily be one of the best of the year - it has a fantastic storyline and some very memorable sequences. Multiplayer is tough but has some novel dynamics to it. It's easily worth another 6 hours of entertainment. I'm already starting into my second playthrough, and really don't regret purchasing it.

I'm not going to waste my time expanding my thoughts on any other aspect of the game, because it's a AAA title and most people here aren't going to buy it anyway. Seriously, I've never read a worse thread on a game....

Nice! I still haven't finished it, yet. I've been working my way through in chunks whenever I can get some peace and quiet to concentrate in. Maybe once you finish your next playthrough, shoot me your PSN ID and we can kick some arse online?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 01:38:05 pm »

I really like the way Joel reacts to things, for example:  The last of us:  Joel gets a rebar pole through possibly his liver or something.   Passing out, collapsing, fading hearing, slowly losing the ability to walk.
Tomb raider reboot: Lara gets a rebar pole in the same place.   RUNNING, JUMPING AND OTHERWISE BEING COMPLETELY UNAFFECTED BY THE FACT A POLE IMPALED YOUR SPLEEN!
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4