Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 5027 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Last of Us
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:33 am »

Now, I know a lot of you guys are "PC purists" or whatever, but this game by Naughty Dog (I just got it today) is truly, truly excellent.

I figured we need a thread in which to discuss it, but please, please No Spoilers!
Seriously, this is one game where I actually give half a flying crap about the story. :P

I think the main topic should be the mutliplayer. Is anyone playing it? We should team up and kick some butt.

For anyone wondering, well, that whole "best online multiplayer experience ever made" boast?
Amazingly, that wasn't just hot air. I have never played anything like this before. I've heard people say they want to buy a PS3 just for this game, and having played it even for a short time I can confirm that would be a good deal.

Anyway! Who's playing this? Shall we exchange PSN IDs? :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:23 am »

Now, I know a lot of you guys are "PC purists" or whatever, but this game by Naughty Dog (I just got it today) is truly, truly excellent.

I figured we need a thread in which to discuss it, but please, please No Spoilers!
Seriously, this is one game where I actually give half a flying crap about the story. :P

I think the main topic should be the mutliplayer. Is anyone playing it? We should team up and kick some butt.

For anyone wondering, well, that whole "best online multiplayer experience ever made" boast?
Amazingly, that wasn't just hot air. I have never played anything like this before. I've heard people say they want to buy a PS3 just for this game, and having played it even for a short time I can confirm that would be a good deal.

Anyway! Who's playing this? Shall we exchange PSN IDs? :D

What systems is it for? Also, what is the gameplay like? Shooter? Rpg?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:25:31 am »

It's a zombie game for the console. Supposedly good story.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:32:11 am »

Didn't it come out nearly half a year ago?

I remember reading about it, why is there just a thread now?

Of course, I may be incorrect...
I need to put something interesting here.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:33:20 am »

it just came out today
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 08:42:51 am »

So is it Walking Dead-lite with a grizzled, culturally safe, pigment lacking protagonist?

Hár

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:52:15 am »

So is it Walking Dead-lite with a grizzled, culturally safe, pigment lacking protagonist?

What's the deal with you? Are you a racist against whites? The walking dead game had a black protagonist... but why exactly is the skin color so important to you?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 10:57:04 am »

What's the deal with you? Are you a racist against whites? The walking dead game had a black protagonist... but why exactly is the skin color so important to you?

Too many white protagonists in games where you can't change the skin color. It gets boring seeing a splotch of white move across a battlefield/city/jungle/Mars the hundreth time this year.

I really have nothing to contribute(Sorry :()

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:19 am »

..are we REALLY going there? For crying out loud, get a hold of yourselves.

90% of humanity has no protagonist in most of the games. Walking Dead's success had nothing to do with the protagonists pigment.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:04:19 am »

Too many white protagonists in games where you can't change the skin color. It gets boring seeing a splotch of white move across a battlefield/city/jungle/Mars the hundreth time this year.

I really have nothing to contribute(Sorry :()

Don't turn this into an argument on race. The last thing we need is to start fighting about this bullshit coupled with all of the things everyone already fights about.

This is a "The Last of Us" thread, not a "The gaming industry sucks because there are too many white guys in video games" thread.
I need to put something interesting here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:18:12 am »

Okay, well. I gotta say I'm kinda surprised more people haven't at least heard of it.
I'm not too great at explaining things, but here goes: It's a 3rd-person story driven action/shooter. I guess that's what you'd call it? At first glance in that regard it's similar to Uncharted(which most of you probably haven't played, either), but with a far more grounded, realistic sort of feel-- no more jumping around, scaling walls and leaping between rooftops like a monkey.

I really, really do not want to give anything away about the story, but here's just a very, very sparse summary of the premise. You should really just find it out yourself, though-- seriously, this game is good. Take my word for it. When have I ever lied to you?!

Anyway, so, basically you have gritty, hefty controls, a healthy, rather unforgiving dose of realism(from what I've seen), sparse ammunition etcetera, a story-driven plot and an excellent story to go with it. Also Naughty Dog's amazing track record re: voice acting and dialogue continues here.

Multiplayer-wise, I'm a bit happier to talk about it. Even so, just playing this game for the first time is a massive shock, just seeing what they've done with the multiplayer side of things-- almost as awesome as the story itself.

I'll make another post on Multiplayer in a moment, I'm cold IRL and you guys have probably crammed in a few posts before I could submit.

Fakeedit: Also yeah. Not another word on how race relates to videogames. Word of OP here-- don't make me track you down and eat your spleen. (what does spleen taste like?) Make another thread if you want, it is a bit of an interesting topic. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:19:57 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:19:20 am »

On topic, yeah, this game looks sweet as hell. I just wish I could afford it. When I do get it I'll stick my PSN up on here, long as I remember.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:30 am »

..are we REALLY going there? For crying out loud, get a hold of yourselves.

90% of humanity has no protagonist in most of the games. Walking Dead's success had nothing to do with the protagonists pigment.
This.

The Last of Us looks good, and is being hyped to no end in internet news.I think it's PS3 exclusive, so I'm interested to see if PS3 drops in price soon.
The game sounds like a lot of fun. In a cinematic experience kind of way, which I find is perfect for the consoles.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:27:59 am »

Okay, well. I gotta say I'm kinda surprised more people haven't at least heard of it.
I'm not too great at explaining things, but here goes: It's a 3rd-person story driven action/shooter. I guess that's what you'd call it? At first glance in that regard it's similar to Uncharted(which most of you probably haven't played, either), but with a far more grounded, realistic sort of feel-- no more jumping around, scaling walls and leaping between rooftops like a monkey.

I really, really do not want to give anything away about the story, but here's just a very, very sparse summary of the premise. You should really just find it out yourself, though-- seriously, this game is good. Take my word for it. When have I ever lied to you?!

Anyway, so, basically you have gritty, hefty controls, a healthy, rather unforgiving dose of realism(from what I've seen), sparse ammunition etcetera, a story-driven plot and an excellent story to go with it. Also Naughty Dog's amazing track record re: voice acting and dialogue continues here.

Multiplayer-wise, I'm a bit happier to talk about it. Even so, just playing this game for the first time is a massive shock, just seeing what they've done with the multiplayer side of things-- almost as awesome as the story itself.

I'll make another post on Multiplayer in a moment, I'm cold IRL and you guys have probably crammed in a few posts before I could submit.

Fakeedit: Also yeah. Not another word on how race relates to videogames. Word of OP here-- don't make me track you down and eat your spleen. (what does spleen taste like?) Make another thread if you want, it is a bit of an interesting topic. :)

Honestly, I played and loved the uncharted games. I await your  mutliplayer review with bated breath.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:02 am »

I will be renting this, but looks like I'll get it in on Monday or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3 4