Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwaves won't take alcohol to jail?  (Read 720 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Dwaves won't take alcohol to jail?
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:45:21 pm »

I set up 4 jail cells.. each one has 1x1 prepared food stock pile and 1x1 alcohol stockpile. Initially they were stocked with alcohol properly but as everyone has wandered in and drank them up, they've been empty. My near legendary soapmaker just died because of it. I've checked and each stockpile is set to take alcohol from the main alcohol pile (which is very very full) but no one, in a very long time has taken it there. Instead there are just a bunch of empty barrels sitting there.

it only seems to fill if I set it to zero barrels wait for them to remove it and then add a barrel back.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwaves won't take alcohol to jail?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:02 am »

You've hit the nail on the head. The empty barrels are filling the stockpile tile, so your dwarves are more or less saying "No room, stockpile's full". Your best bet would be to create a new stockpile that only accepts empty barrels so that they get moved off as soon as they're emptied.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:40:12 am »

You've hit the nail on the head. The empty barrels are filling the stockpile tile, so your dwarves are more or less saying "No room, stockpile's full". Your best bet would be to create a new stockpile that only accepts empty barrels so that they get moved off as soon as they're emptied.

I've got one, it's huge, lots of space.
I've got a "catch-all" stockpile near the back of my fort that takes basically everything except refuse and food. So when regular stockpiles get overloaded (say from a wasted siege or a slaughtered caravan), the dwarves can clean-up no matter what.
That didn't seem to help. I think it might have been keeping the "minimum" 1 barrel on there, even though I don't have that set. Dwarves often take a bin or barrel to a stockpile which prevented them. I'll make it 1x2 and see if that helps.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:09:35 am »

I believe having it set to at least 2 tiles should fix it. Stockpiles that allow barrels/bins/wheelbarrows get at least one empty one thrown in as long as they are available (I assume to speed up stockpiling of whatever is supposed to go in there).

I usually make my jail liquid stockpiles 3 tiles, or just build a well, because my dwarves apparently don't believe criminals should be allowed to drink anything no matter what the crime, or if there are only 3 tiles between them, the booze, bucket/well, and criminal dying of thirst.

Then again I've had like four babies die of dehydration too... hmm.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:33:16 am »

I haven't tested this on 1x1 booze piles for jails, but you might want to set reserved barrels to 0 (when creating the stockpile)
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »

I haven't tested this on 1x1 booze piles for jails, but you might want to set reserved barrels to 0 (when creating the stockpile)

Reserved barrels in the stockpile menu is a fortress-wide setting, and reserves empty barrels for reactions that require them. Basically, as long as that setting is greater than zero, that many barrels will be set aside as soon as they're available and not used for storing all of those delicious, delicious plump helmets.

As for your issue, crossmr, if your jail cells are close together you can designate one stockpile that covers all of them, then remove the tiles you don't want. This theoretically allows you to add one tile outside the normal cells (say, in a little alcove dug nearby) that will be the top leftmost tile of the stockpile and thus receive the empty barrel. I'm not sure if this works with your layout, of course, but theoretically it'd keep the rest of the stockpile clear.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:58:40 am »

My jail cells are a 3x3 room.

TBD
CXD
FFO

D = drink stockpile 1x2
F = food stockpile 1x2 prepared food only
B = bed
T = table
X = chain
C = chair
O = blank square (typically in front of the door to the cell)

Seems to work absolutely fine.

Oh, and a door behind the bed leading to the vampire's lair...
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization