Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: NEW Warhammer 40k MMO "Eternal Crusade"! "Like Planetside and EVE" -the devs  (Read 13804 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Fuck yeah, rogue trader.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

maybe we'll be able to beat some sense into the devs come beta.

The method would be simple: Everyone play a Boyz, nobody pays a dime, and we turn the life of those who do in some hellish cycle of death and rebirth and humiliation. Eventually they would quit and all that will be left would be infighting orks.
This is what's going to happen.
This will kill the game.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

I'm honestly considering starting a "Donate a penny" fund to buy a 40K license and give it to a competent developer. With all the information we're getting about Eternal Crusade, I'm thinking people would be more than happy to participate.

The thing is still a few years off, but so is the First Intergalactic War, and I'm not feeling all that positive about that, either.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Whoop whoop, let's have a looksy on how this is going from June 16 2013.

There's a number of newsletters out for people to read, as well as signing up for a beta arrangement.

Things from my reading:

No quests, areas will have randomly generated goals from existing choices which players go through.

Tyranids will pop up in zones controlled by factions and have to be fought off or lose the zone. Apparently they will target more successful factions more often.

Ork Boyz are still available F2P, other factions and units are available if you buy a copy of the game. No monthly subscription.
Taken from F.A.Q:("What business model will the game use?

Although it’s still under consideration, the current plan is that Eternal Crusade will be “premium with a free-to-play option.” By purchasing a copy of the game, you will have access to it forever with no need for a subscription. There will be post-launch expansions, as well as a cash shop for customization & convenience items.

If you don’t want to buy the box, you can still try the game as a free-to-play version of an Ork character. In contrast to the premium Orks, your progression will be slower and some options will be locked off, but you’ll be able to go anywhere and fight for the Waaagh! If you like it but still don’t want to pay the full price, you can unlock some of the missing options with microtransactions.
")

Linky link to website

Spoiler: Cut/Paste F.A.Q (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure if there's any screenshots from my brief overlook. They don't seem to have a media link on their homepage.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No Imperial Guard.  :'(

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

aaaaand the tyranids are the NPC faction, as always. Sad.
But I like the absence of monthly subscription. Might buy it then.
It depends on the microtransaction model as well, if done badly it could be very, very bad for the game.

Done right, for me, would be "cosmetics and convenience only, and premium users get a fuckton of premium money for buying the game". Sounds like what they're up to so good.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Really the saddest part of the game for me. I mean... c'mon, we can't have an emperor without his hammer.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

As it should be, really.

This I agree with. Still, they did say that more factions would be added. I'm personally hoping for the Tau to join in.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

As it should be, really.

This I agree with. Still, they did say that more factions would be added. I'm personally hoping for the Tau to join in.

Personally, I get a lot of enjoyment out of beating space elves senseless while entering the warp.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shame they didn't pick some more interesting Chaos legions. Like Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, or World Eaters.

But whatever, they mention still being in pre-production, so it'll be years before it gets released/cancelled.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

The thing is still a few years off, but so is the First Intergalactic War, and I'm not feeling all that positive about that, either.

How do you even know there was already a intergalactic war? Just because we haven't got our shit together to get out into space doesn't mean another set of sentient races had and already committed wars against another galaxies.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

There's still a lot to this game that seems like a pipe dream. But I guess we'll see. For example, they expect each campaign to take a week. That sounds like one of those drastically over or under dev-estimated numbers that is bound to collapse in the face of player activity and ingenuity.

Still, who knows. An MMOFPS set in 40k, that is as uncompromising as EVE is and has as fanatical a fanbase could be a pretty magical thing if it doesn't suck.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:57:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

How do you even know there was already a intergalactic war? Just because we haven't got our shit together to get out into space doesn't mean another set of sentient races had and already committed wars against another galaxies.

besides with all the resource shortages today it seems like intragalactic war would be more common!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

You can now throw insane amounts of money at this unfinished title, if you so wish.

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/founder-store/products/7-founder-packs

It's essentially a pre-order, with in-game currency, name reservation, guild name reservation, alpha, beta and early access, emblems, titles, special forum access and possibly your mother's kitchen sink. As a refresher, this game will be both F2P, and purchasable. F2P players are "Free-to-WWWAAAGGGGHHH!" All F2P players can play is ork boyz. If you purchase the game ($40 is the basic preorder, so that probably means $50-$60 on launch), you get access to all the other races, and the classes within those races.

There's some media on the website showing alpha (and I do mean alpha) gameplay. It looks a lot like Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine multiplayer. It's hard to have a real opinion on it, being such early footage.

Some things have changed in their design. Tyranids will now be part of a wave survival co-op/pve mode for the game. (They'll also apparently capture strongholds in different faction territories from time to time.) There's another solo/co-op pve mode where players fight through a randomized underground ruin for loot. They said they envision it as a mode akin to Diablo 2 or Left 4 Dead.

The FAQ now has quite a bit of information in it: https://www.eternalcrusade.com/faq#EFP_Question

I could easily throw money at this just based on my love of 40k. But there's still a lot of red flags to me. Their design goals are still really ambitious, possibly moreso than when the game first announced. It seems primed for predatory levels of P2W, in a game you've already thrown down hard cash for so you don't have to play a nob. They're shooting for late 2015, and for once I think that's kinda conservative given what they're saying they will do.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:42:02 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7