Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: NEW Warhammer 40k MMO "Eternal Crusade"! "Like Planetside and EVE" -the devs  (Read 13831 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

The most idealnest setting would be:
-F2P: basic IG grunts
-paying: IG high-command (so the guards can despise their commander on several meta-levels :P)
-Experienced "I'm here for three months and I killed a thousand orks": Marine.

That would be awesome, but it doesnt let people pay for marine-ness, so it will never happen, sadly.

Too early on the morning to develop x)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Heh, if people can pay to be SPEHSS MEHREENS, there'll be nothing but them on the Imperium side. What would be really cool would be if every faction was represented; I could see Nid play resembling the aliens in the good games with xenomorphs or the equivalent. Or, hell, in some Gmod gametypes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

I'm not sure where you guys are getting this whole "free users and paying users" thing, unless it's for Dark Millennium?
The developers have stated that the game will be free to play. but the F2P players will have to play as the Orks. This is to represent how they're fucking everywhere, and it'll take approximately five Orks to take down one space marine. They want it so the Orks are by far the biggest player-controlled faction.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

I'm not sure where you guys are getting this whole "free users and paying users" thing, unless it's for Dark Millennium?
The developers have stated that the game will be free to play. but the F2P players will have to play as the Orks. This is to represent how they're fucking everywhere, and it'll take approximately five Orks to take down one space marine. They want it so the Orks are by far the biggest player-controlled faction.

God damn that's genius really. Also means I won't have to pay a dime. WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile

God damn that's genius really. Also means I won't have to pay a dime. WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

That's actually a really good idea. I could just imagine mobs of freebie orks attacking squads of wallet warrior spess mahrenz and reliving the movie 300, 40k style.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've wanted a 40k Planetside ever since I learned of PS2's existence, but I'm not getting my hopes up about this. The worst thing is that if this fails, they'll probably bury the concept for a long time again.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I am also interested in a medieval planetside. Warhammer battle version anyone? :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile

Can you please provide a link? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen them post it anywhere. I'll also slap it in the OP for posterity.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you please provide a link? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen them post it anywhere. I'll also slap it in the OP for posterity.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/13/interview-behaviour-on-warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade/#more-156334

One of a few sources of info people are using.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be really thick, but I don't see it anywhere in there. Or anywhere in the entire internet.  Also, I'm the one who posted this :)

Also this might be new:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade-is-all-about-war/

From the above :
"Among the interesting additions to the game are kill animations, such as an Ork dancing over some poor player's fragged corpse, which has been monetized and implemented into the microtransaction side of the title.

It's unclear what other microtransactions there might be, but one thing Caron says the game won't be is pay-to-win."
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmh, this;

Caron also elaborated on battle style. "The type of combat we're going to have will be very dirty. There will be ducking, shooting over obstacles, rolling, avoiding... the combat part is very, very important to us." He described it to me as a mix of epic melee and ranged weaponry.

And the fact that it's third-person made me think of the Space Marine game. I dunno if they can make a MMO work with that kind of combat, but it would be pretty sweet. Sounds interesting in any case.

EDIT: Another interview. The way the 'quests' are described is pretty interesting. There'll be elected player commanders that give some of themand real world military strategy would, apparently, work. Tyranids also confirmed as NPC race. And hah, they describe the combat as a mix of Gears of War and Space Marine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:12:06 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Haha, having premium taunt animations is actually a really good idea. Premium voice snippets for your characters would probably work well, too. Alongside, of course, the traditional premium camo patterns and cosmetic armor changes. Eheheh, I wonder if Space Wolves will have the option of purchasing a special sort of "vehicle".

Hmh, this;

Caron also elaborated on battle style. "The type of combat we're going to have will be very dirty. There will be ducking, shooting over obstacles, rolling, avoiding... the combat part is very, very important to us." He described it to me as a mix of epic melee and ranged weaponry.

And the fact that it's third-person made me think of the Space Marine game. I dunno if they can make a MMO work with that kind of combat, but it would be pretty sweet. Sounds interesting in any case.
It's possible, I think. It'll be chaotic as all fuck and based on an equal combination of skill, luck, and timing, but isn't that what 40K combat is anyways?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also confirmed in the above interview; Ork Boyz will indeed be the only free-to-play faction (that is, even bigger Orks like Nobs will cost something). Their reasoning for this is pretty hilarious.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

Also confirmed in the above interview; Ork Boyz will indeed be the only free-to-play faction (that is, even bigger Orks like Nobs will cost something). Their reasoning for this is pretty hilarious.

All I know is I'll be on the front lines, screaming "CAM ERE AN GIT MEH SPOICE MEREN!" over the global chat.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yeah, I read it. I don't agree at all with their reasoning, but Orkz are the best anyways, what do I care.

I'm somewhat curious though, after LoL's immense success and playerbase, and with how excruciangly fitting their monetization model is for MMOs and Warhammer in particular, why are people still not getting it. Oh well. At least the subscription model is dying, that's got to count for something.

Also "something that we’re not trying to do is having a balanced game. War is not balanced." Welp.

On why they won't be having the Sisters of Battle : "They always end up being killed by their own team because their pure blood is useful to defeat demons.". Uuuuurghghghbluuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Yes they end up because Warhammer nerds are the worst nerds ever MATT FUCKING WARD  that doesn't mean that you have to be the same.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7