Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several graphics modding questions  (Read 771 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
Several graphics modding questions
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:24:41 pm »

1) Can plants be assigned individual tiles in separate tilesheets like animals and creatures? Please tell me they can.

2) Where can I look up where the tile of something is defined in the raws? For example, I want to change the tiles being used for menacing spikes, but it doesn't seem to be in the text files in the raws.

3) When adding a new graphics tile for a creature, is it as simple as making the image, inserting it in the sheet, and then adding the references in the accompanying text file, or do I have to modify some other files as well to make sure the game uses them?

For example, I am currently trying to add a new tile for the pond turtles, which were previously using the same tile as gems/webs. I added it in the existing animal tilesheet by Phoebus in row 23, column 7, 8, and 9 respectively for default, child, and zombie. Then I added the following in the graphics_phoebus_animals.txt:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:POND_TURTLE]
[DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:7:23:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CHILD:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:8:23:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[ANIMATED:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:9:23:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie

Will that work? I currently don't have any pond turtles in any of my fortresses, so I can't test it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Several graphics modding questions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »

(3) Yes, what you say is right for regular creatures.  I'm not 100% sure but I was under the impression you couldn't assign graphics to vermin.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:44 pm »

Good to know then. :) I'll try fishing in my caverns through grates and see if I can catch any of my new pond turtles (hopefully no giant toad ninja-slips through my defenses this time).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 04:01:37 pm »

Why not try setting a graphic on a Rat? they are found almost anywhere warm.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »

Heh. I'm not testing the graphic, I'm testing the code. :P There's already a tile for rats, so if I simply replace that, I wouldn't be sure if it had changed other files to display whatever it is on the tile it is currently defined at. Dunno if that made sense, LOL.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

I get what you mean (a tile in the tile sheet is a rat already)

now what i mean by setting a rat with a sprite is

Debugging. You may already have a tile set out for rats yes, but can VERMIN use sprite? Pond Turtles is almost a bit difficult to find (at least I have trouble finding them) but rats are everywhere (basically) so finding a test subject is a bit easier.

Doesn't mean you have to leave the sprite on the rat, just see if sprites can be added to vermin base critters.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:33:17 am »

Good point. Rats and pond turtles, are two of the most common animals everywhere, and yet I've never seen any of the graphics sets try to change their tiles with graphics ones. There must be a reason for that.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:07 am »

1) Can plants be assigned individual tiles in separate tilesheets like animals and creatures? Please tell me they can.
No. Plants need to use a tile from the tileset. Toady answered a question regarding that in the last FotF, by the way.

Quote from: Obsidian Soul
2) Where can I look up where the tile of something is defined in the raws? For example, I want to change the tiles being used for menacing spikes, but it doesn't seem to be in the text files in the raws.
Some things are just hardcoded. but generally, just use ctrl+f. Even windows can search several files at once.

Quote from: Obsidian Soul
3) When adding a new graphics tile for a creature, is it as simple as making the image, inserting it in the sheet, and then adding the references in the accompanying text file, or do I have to modify some other files as well to make sure the game uses them?
Yes. Although you have to make sure that there are no double entries, and that GRAPHICS is set you YES in init.txt.

Just make sure you have the correct name for the creature (the wiki has all the creature raws). You can spawn creatures in arena mode; but even better, you could use Brad Uffner's Raw Explorer. Veeeery great utility if you're working on creature graphics.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:05 am »

Every single tile explained, and what it is used for. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tilesets

Items marked with * can have their tile changed in the raw data files.
Items marked with # can have their tile replaced by a graphics set image, in addition to having their tile changed in the raw data.
Items marked with $ can be changed in the d_init.txt file.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:07 am »

Ok thanks, CLA. The Raw Explorer looks really useful. Though I'll probably only use it for reference as to which tiles are used for what. I still prefer GIMP when it comes to drawing stuff.

And what did Toady say btw?

And Meph, yep I already use that as reference. The problem is in the "Items marked with # can have their tile replaced by a graphics set image, in addition to having their tile changed in the raw data."

It doesn't exactly specify where in the raw data. But yeah, like CLA said, a standard ctrl+f should do I guess.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:10:27 am by Obsidian Soul »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:28 am »

And what did Toady say btw?

As far as I know, implementing things like item or map tiles won't work without multiple texture atlases, or something, and I don't know how to do that in the new graphics code.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »

Sadface. :[

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »

Sadface. :[
Yeah, I already have so many ASCII-like tiles for various plants, and vermin already made, just waiting for more graphic options. But I don't really mind it having a low priority to be honest. There are more important things for DF as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Regarding the raw explorer:
Yeah I use it mostly for making sure I assigned creature graphics correctly as well.
I use Photoshop for making tilesets/creature graphics, too. Though it's nice to make small corrections with Raw Explorer in the QC-phase.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:24:12 pm by CLA »