Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird weregiraffe  (Read 5400 times)

Nagelfar^^

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird weregiraffe
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:43 am »

Let me start by introducing myself..
Hi I'm Nagelfar^^. Like many of you I was drawn into the world of DF by random chance. First I read a long post on 4chan, a timelog of a fortress. Weirdly compelling  :)
then boatmurdered, community stories, and so forth.

Well, i'm still a newbie with capitol N  :P Haven't even gone cave exploring yet.

But.. something weird happened last night. At first my first human caravan arrived (my 8th real game or so) which got me excited. mere moments later this happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh shit.. I was only just entering my second year in the fortress, and only got a rudimentary military.
I was moving goods to the depot when the scary giraffe appeared and I decided not to let it interfere. perhaps it was just wandering about? anyway the human caravan would die first if it decided to attack.

In a timespan of roughly 1:30 minuttes IRL the weregiraffe appeared, slayed a potter, transformed into a goblin and left the map *snap*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soo.. is that normal? I was preparing to be locked in a long time.. and in a matter of seconds it's just gone. I was hoping for a bit of !!FUN!!
Nothing is more graphical than a person's imagination, which is the graphics card that DF uses.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Weird weregiraffe
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:47 am »

Yeah, werebeasts tend to try and come and go quickly - they only get the three days of the full moon for their attacks, and in fortress mode, that's a short time frame.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:53 am »

You probably embarked near a lair so whenever any group (caravan or migrants) enter your fortress from a certain direction, if they pass by the were beast, he'll follow them and it will appear as if he arrived with them.

Werebeasts aren't instant fun because they hang around the edges and change back quickly.  But, if that were giraffe bit a dwarf and the infection found its way into your fortress, you may have some fun on the way (probably not, though, since it attacked a caravan).

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:37 am »

You got lucky. Your potter died.

Nagelfar^^

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:06:24 am »

yeah... at first I was astounded. The only other beast i've encountered was a cyclops who brutally slaughtered my army
I thought the weregirafe were something similar :) as I couldn't find much info on were-attacks (here, google, dfwiki) I immediately thought it was something awesome.. literally.
but it seems to be more common instead.. anyway. perhaps ill dig deep to if something roams beneath, it's a great embark site, lots of steel beeing made :D
Nothing is more graphical than a person's imagination, which is the graphics card that DF uses.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:50:13 am »

You got lucky. Your potter died.
This.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »

I never get any fun from werebeasts. The best I've had was a weresheep, I think, which came along and beat the crap out of a child for its allotted rampage time, threw him in a pool but never managed to kill or even do any serious damage to him, transformed into an elf and was instantly brained by a hammerdwarf.
Though one time a werewombat did bite my expedition leader! "This should be great" I thought to myself but apparently he only bit her after he'd transformed back to his normal form in self defence which is awfully disappointing. I quarantined her with her baby for nothing.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:58:52 am »

Ah weresheep remind me always of the New Zealandian movie "black sheep" from 2006 best horror i had seen in years.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:37:15 am »

You probably embarked near a lair so whenever any group (caravan or migrants) enter your fortress from a certain direction, if they pass by the were beast, he'll follow them and it will appear as if he arrived with them.
That's completely false btw. The outside world isn't simulated in fortress mode (nor is it in adventure mode). The game just decided that throwing a werebeast at you was a good idea, and plucked one from the local surroundings.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:22 am »

That's weird because I only get necromancers when my embark is near a necromancer tower and I only get goblins when my embark is near goblins.

I remember once getting necromancers in my fortress after over a game year, at the exact moment that my first human caravan showed up.  It seemed like the necromancers came with the traders.  I was even told that when I posted on this forum, that they'll follow caravans in.

I don't know if the game just randomly decided to throw things at you.  I'm pretty sure certain conditions have to be met for everything.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:18:36 am »

That's weird because I only get necromancers when my embark is near a necromancer tower and I only get goblins when my embark is near goblins.

I remember once getting necromancers in my fortress after over a game year, at the exact moment that my first human caravan showed up.  It seemed like the necromancers came with the traders.  I was even told that when I posted on this forum, that they'll follow caravans in.

I don't know if the game just randomly decided to throw things at you.  I'm pretty sure certain conditions have to be met for everything.

The game checks for immigrants, caravans, etc, at certain times per year, so quite often everything will come at once. AFAIK, of course.
On the embark screen, it will have to say 'tower' as a nearby civilisation for necromancers to come or send zombie sieges. Similarly, there must be a goblin civilisation within a reasonable distance of your fort to attack. Werebeasts are different - they act much like megabeasts, randomly attacking your fortress.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 12:06:54 pm »

The game checks for immigrants, caravans, etc, at certain times per year, so quite often everything will come at once. AFAIK, of course.
On the embark screen, it will have to say 'tower' as a nearby civilisation for necromancers to come or send zombie sieges. Similarly, there must be a goblin civilisation within a reasonable distance of your fort to attack. Werebeasts are different - they act much like megabeasts, randomly attacking your fortress.
My perception of the dorfiverse is shattered.

Why is it, then, that they always seem to come with migrant waves or caravans.  Is it that they've been hanging around the map edge and I just haven't noticed it?

I know megabeasts travel but I was always under the impression you have to be near a were beast lair to get a were beast.

RiotShield

• Bay Watcher
  • You have five seconds to comply.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:54:14 pm »

My perception of the dorfiverse is shattered.

Why is it, then, that they always seem to come with migrant waves or caravans.  Is it that they've been hanging around the map edge and I just haven't noticed it?

I know megabeasts travel but I was always under the impression you have to be near a were beast lair to get a were beast.

Like he said, the game checks for things like that at certain points of the year, so everyone the game decides to put on your map comes at once.
"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

The_Falconer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »

My only encounter with a werebeast was a weregecko that was killed by a legendary miner by a pickaxe hit to the foot that severed it off then it bled to death into the water supply... Should of had alcohol

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:16 am »

So far my only experience of a werebeast was finding a naked and dead human in my traps. I have no idea what kind of were he was, and I didn't get any alerts to his arrival.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?
Pages: [1] 2