Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sieges  (Read 1620 times)

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »

Hello guys, another question. When do sieges usually begin around? I've had a population of 95 for a while now, and goblins and kobolds have been sending thieves and snatchers since I started. Just wondering if I should be prepared?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:19:29 am »

According to raws, they should start sending proper sieges at 80 population, no matter your wealth.  However there's a definite correlation of wealth to attacks, so boosting (or avoiding) industry can change your mileage in uncertain ways.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:09 am »

Sieges are triggered by wealth and population,

The population required is 80 by default. How the wealth influences the sieging behaviour in uncertain on my part.
If your Population is 95 you should be expecting a siege anytime. It could be tomorrow or in a year, just be ready! The goblin thieves indicate that Ambushes and sieges will happen...

Good !Fun!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:10:50 am »

Sieges are triggered by wealth and population,

The population required is 80 by default. How the wealth influences the sieging behaviour in uncertain on my part.
If your Population is 95 you should be expecting a siege anytime. It could be tomorrow or in a year, just be ready! The goblin thieves indicate that Ambushes and sieges will happen...

Good !Fun!!
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
Goblins are not triggered by wealth, only by population.  A setting of 0 disables that trigger, and population trigger 3 is 80, via the wiki.

However, this only seems to be when they start invading.  The frequency and size of sieges seems to be based on wealth, so even if you have enough population, they may still not siege because your wealth is so low that sieges are very far between - effectively preventing sieges.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say siege rate is based on some percentage.  If you have X wealth, then there is Y% chance of a siege every season/year.  At a certain point, it becomes statistically laughable.  Just a guess though, I have no idea of the actual code.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:14:59 am »

I think the confusion arises in the fact that titans, not sieges, have a wealth requirement as well as a population requirement. You can change those when creating the world, in fact, while sieges require raws-diving and/or the source code. I'm not sure exactly though.

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:36 am »

Currently have a wealth of around 733k. Will 10 legendary mace/axe/spear/sword dwarfs and 9 master-proficient marksdwarfs be able to handle a siege?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:21:00 am by Veskulios »

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:57:22 am »

115 dwarves, 850k wealth. Is it possible that I'm at peace with the goblins even though they sent snatchers?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:00:36 am by Veskulios »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:24 am »

Does the condition of the goblin civilization affect to the sieges? Like, if the goblin towers are in the other side of the world or if they have many wars with others?

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:18:18 am »

I had the same problems/thoughts myself. In some embarks the greenskins come rather quick and in large numbers, some embarks seem to be rather dull (goblinwise).

I believe it has to do with how powerful the goblin-civ next to you is.

About the  "will I be able to defend myself" issue: that totally depends on your defense-setup. You can beat almost any siege with a good trap setup and no troops at all, or with just marksdwarfs behind fortifications and enough ammo (be careful if the enemy has elite marksmen though).
You will find the basics in the Wiki, and the advanced experimental defense systems all over the forum.

Be creative and post if you have a need setup - people love creative ways to treat guests...

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 05:38:10 am »

Doesn't the proximity of your embark location to "hostile" civs play some sort of role in the frequency of their sieges/ambushes? Or did I pull that out of my imagination?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:16 am »

Currently have a wealth of around 733k. Will 10 legendary mace/axe/spear/sword dwarfs and 9 master-proficient marksdwarfs be able to handle a siege?

I would think so, yeah.  Make sure your melee dwarves have shields, though, to protect against enemy archers.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:10:58 am »

I would think so, yeah.  Make sure your melee dwarves have shields, though, to protect against enemy archers.
I am assuming that you trained them in a danger room and they have legendary in shield user but as long as you station them in a choke point of some kind then 10 legendary melee fighters will be able to break most sieges.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

I am assuming that you trained them in a danger room and they have legendary in shield user but as long as you station them in a choke point of some kind then 10 legendary melee fighters will be able to break most sieges.

That would work too.  But then you're getting support from architecture, and I was assuming that was off limits, since architecture alone can break most sieges and he was asking about his military.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Veskulios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »

Update

Currently 1.1 million wealth, 127 dwarves. I just got my first ambush but still no real sieges.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 03:56:40 am »

My sieges started at ~2kk wealth, and it wasnt even 80 dorfs for first one. Idk how this can be.
Pages: [1] 2