Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diary of a Madman: Building a Fortress INSIDE a volcano.  (Read 6123 times)

ITHEURIST

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diary of a Madman: Building a Fortress INSIDE a volcano.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 05:33:13 pm »

This is so Dwarf like...
WoobMonkey- I hereby swear to uphold the true spirit of Dwarven Nobility: bitching, demanding, and being distracted by kittens, doors, and well-made cage traps.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 03:24:45 am »

1st of Granite 204
With peasant drafts as miners and mechanics, the operations advances slowly.
The fact I've noticed the Mountainhome to stop sending migrants, in the hope of keeping our number low and menaces uninteresteds doesn't help with the lack of hands, either.
To add to the engineering problems, our pumps were not powerful enough to exerce the needed pressure to rise the water to the top of the volcano.
We needed to build a pumpstack, 30 urists high, with, as stated before, dabbling miners, mechanics and few competents mason and carpenters.
Preparing the site took one year, and the building and assembling of the pumps took another one.
We had an operator drowned below the oceanic pumps. I doesn't have the least idea when and how.
I sent our spare carpenters build a shelter around the site, to avoid further incident. And lost another dwarf, drown right next to the first.
These guys needs to learn to build a wall in the right order.
Meanwhile, the generators construction is launched. First the underground gears and axles, the windmills will follow.

I'm hoping for the first obsidian casting around the month of Obsidian.
With this entry, engravure of our site. Nothing exceptional, just mass digging and mass pumping, with a only the bare minimum to keep everyone working.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:26:19 am by Swonnrr »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »

You inspired me to attempt this feat myself Swonnrr, though I am using the magma drain method and mining obsidian from a nearby mountain. Are you using windmills at your ocean pump and water wheels in the aqueduct tunnel to power your pumpstack?

Now some !!COMMENTARY!! regarding draining a volcano. 

Here was my caldera fort until too many accidents lead to a tantrum spiral. Remember, magma will randomly spawn 2-3 z levels above the lowest drained volcano level, immolating masons and/or pets.

http://imgur.com/a/QEVmZ#0

Key:
Floor: .
Channel: V
!!FUN!!: ~
Door: D
Wall: X
Pump: OO
Fortification: F

1. Passive Gravity drains do work, but incredibly slow. About one year per z level. I built these to drain magma off the map and controlled them with flood gates. Expect minimal 3rd degree burns if you channel the magmatube from the top (magma falls into the channel, giving your cheesemakers time to run.)

~~~~
X V X
.  V  .
.  V  .
.  V  .
X F X

2. Forcepump method, build a pumpstack next to the caldera. This method is fast if you have multiple pumps across many z levels. My initial design had some flaws and led many workdwarfs comp claims... Though here is my design (be sure to channel out furthest from the liquid source to allow the transfer of power between z levels.) The door should protect around 1/3 of all diggers from immolation and protect around 1/2 of all copper picks if the dwarf should !!.

(Credit to Vattic for his research into volcano draining technology http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Vattic/Mechanical_Volcano_Explained )

~~~~
X V X
X O D
X O X
X .  X
X F X

Revision note: I am experimenting now with building the pump and channel one step back, as to maximize the number of layers pumpable
~~~~
X .  X
X V D
X O X
X O X
X .  X
X F X

http://imgur.com/a/QEVmZ#1

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:18 pm »

You inspired me to attempt this feat myself Swonnrr, though I am using the magma drain method and mining obsidian from a nearby mountain. Are you using windmills at your ocean pump and water wheels in the aqueduct tunnel to power your pumpstack?
Nope, i'm trying to build all my mega projects without "cheating" methods or exploits.
Yeah, that means a shitload of windmills.

awesome stuffs
Nice engineering here. :D

I'm almost ready to start the engines, will give feedback then. :)

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=KUWVE9GKCSA

1st of Obsidian, 204.
Our guys are exhausted. The hospital floor is covered of blood, as are our axes and hammers.
The young soldiers who came here in hope of a quite assignment are now scarred, blood covered war veterans.
Their armors and weapons, forged in the fire of this same volcano they call their home, forged in the fire of battle against the wilderness, bear the marks of the hundreds of sharps teeth and claws they kept away from their brother.
Their souls bear the marks of the brothers they lost, and the childrens they weren't fast enough to save.
The coffins, discretly aligned near the stockpiles, stand as reminder of the prices we paid - and will pay again.
The peasants who came here in hope of a peaceful retreat, on this calm island, have made as much slabs and swords than pipes and mechanisms.
They came here smiling and laughing. Their eyes are now heavy, and severe.
But they are determined to end what they begun.

As the merchants left, i noticed the liaison to send migrants again.
For, as spring will flower, we will be victorious; or dead.
This may be my last entry.
We are all ready to do this.
Pull the lever.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 07:22:31 am »

Updating first post with results.
Casting by mass flooding is a half-success, now skipping to plan B.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 08:46:13 am »

Definitely don't want windows to magma, those can be deconstructed by tantrumming dwarves
...Actually do it, that sounds !!fun!!.

I've thought about this for a long time, and you could actually set pressure plates inside windowed rooms to detect magma and trigger bridges or floodgates, resulting in an automated failsafe system, like in science fiction where the atomospheric containment field, or some window breaks, and a metal shield slides in as a backup.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 08:50:40 am »

That sounds absolutely awesome. Depending on how many windows you were planning though, your mechanics are going to be damn good at their jobs by the time you finish.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:44 am »

Swonnrr, have you thought of forcibly draining the magma into a cistern (with an overflow valve off map of course), building a platform at the lowest level possible, refilling the volcano, and then adding water? It should create a usable obsidian pillar, though I am not an expert on obsidian casting. I might try this later on during the week (my savegame my civ is at war with the elves, so you know megaprojects are extra !!FUN!!.)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:35 am »

Swonnrr, have you thought of forcibly draining the magma into a cistern (with an overflow valve off map of course), building a platform at the lowest level possible, refilling the volcano, and then adding water? It should create a usable obsidian pillar, though I am not an expert on obsidian casting. I might try this later on during the week (my savegame my civ is at war with the elves, so you know megaprojects are extra !!FUN!!.)

That's the plan B.
Empty the volcano by the bottom, build/cast a floor, then refill a level, cast it, get the magma/water/iron picks and dead bodys out and repeat.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:18 am »

Definitely don't want windows to magma, those can be deconstructed by tantrumming dwarves

I've thought about this for a long time, and you could actually set pressure plates inside windowed rooms to detect magma and trigger bridges or floodgates, resulting in an automated failsafe system, like in science fiction where the atomospheric containment field, or some window breaks, and a metal shield slides in as a backup.

I'm going to have to test this.
Floodgates would need an inverter I think, but bridges should work well.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:04 am »

I'm going to have to test this.
Floodgates would need an inverter I think, but bridges should work well.

For the floodgate, you could set the pressure plate to trigger on zero magma.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »

Ha, true. Can you tell I'm a noob?

Tested with water, works nicely with pressure plate and a bridge.
I'm going to install such a system in my noble's rooms I think. It'll automatically lock all the doors "to make sure the fortress doesn't flood". Definitely not to make sure they drown.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.
Pages: 1 [2]