Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Longest Game?  (Read 8255 times)

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Game?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:12 pm »

my longest fort is a 5x5 embark at 15-20 fps now. i think i may be hitting item death. not not terribly sure what is screwing with the fps

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:23 pm »

If my FPS ever hit 10, I would just stop playing. Don't know how this guy survived.
I believe he had been playing df since 2d versions, 30 fps was the starting point back then.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »

I've lasted 6 years but I get bored and start a new fortress.
I too use a danger room but imagine it as similar to spartan training from Halo

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:32 am »

I've lasted for about 11 years before realising that the reason nothing had attacked me was because I was on an island. So I got bored and slowly flooded the fort by digging tunnels down from my river into the caverns and letting the waters slowly rise. It took a while but it was worth it. And then to finish them off I started a loyalty cascade by having my military attack a glitched trader on the edge of the map.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51:22 pm »

I don't think I've had a fort last much longer than 5 years.  I always get bored... or I ruin the symmetry of my fortress with some poor room layout planning, or a favorite dwarf dies, or I decide I don't like my embark location, or my mist generator +50 pets kills my FPS.  Does anyone have any tricks they use to keep it interesting?  I have tried avoiding use of walls, draw bridges, and danger rooms to keep it interesting, but that usually ends with my entire military being crippled in the process of defending my fort.  My wild animal taming projects and my water works projects tend to kill FPS, when they don't kill dwarves I actually like (every now and then I get a few favorites and I rage quit when they die...).  Anyone have any challenges they like that keep things fun?
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »

My fort is now 50 years old and one of the main things that has kept me going is my attachment to certain dwarves.  It's especially cool to watch babies grow up and take a prominent place in the fort.  I also used to rage quit when favorite dwarves died, but then I realized that if everything always went to plan, I would definitely be bored.  The unexpected accidents and fatalities make the rescues and triumphs that much sweeter.  Throwing it all away is just unthinkable now. 

Big projects also help.  Whenever I read about a cool idea on the forums, I'm tempted to try it out.  Usually this meant starting up a new fortress, but it's much, much easier to test things out with a mature fortress.  No more starting from zero over and over again.  These days, after a project has run its course, I just dismantle it, or leave it be, as a monument of sorts, rather than abandoning. 

Before this fortress, most of mine only lasted 3-7 years.  Sometimes, I would even scrap a fortress if I couldn't find iron in the first few levels.  Going back to the earlier thought, imperfections make things fun.  My current fort has flux, but no native iron ore.  I relies on trade and goblinite to fuel the steel industry.  Especially in the early days, making sure caravans got in safely was paramount.  It led me to construct the underground trade network that I mentioned upthread.  This has become a defining piece of the fortress as a whole - all due to the lack of iron, a major embark imperfection which I had a VERY hard time tolerating before.

Symmetry can be a big thing for me, too.  Keep in mind, if you mess up, you can always restructure rooms with constructed walls :D.  Good luck to you!     
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:11:06 pm by VerdantSF »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 12:05:54 pm »

My longest fort lasted about 20 years, at which point I archived it to start a new one.  It was in the state of being invincible to conventional attack and so wasn't a source of too much interesting behavior anymore.  FPS was about 35 with a population of 120 or so I believe.

In .31.25 I had a fort that lasted about 13 years which I archived for similar reasons and with similar performance (though I was far less careful to manage FPS issues back then).

I'm planning on trying to take my current fort past the 30 year mark if I can.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:00 pm »

My fort is now 50 years old and one of the main things that has kept me going is my attachment to certain dwarves.  It's especially cool to watch babies grow up and take a prominent place in the fort.  I also used to rage quit when favorite dwarves died, but then I realized that if everything always went to plan, I would definitely be bored.  The unexpected accidents and fatalities make the rescues and triumphs that much sweeter.  Throwing it all away is just unthinkable now. 

Some nice stories always re-inspire me.  Like a lot of player, the stories from DF are what got me into the game.  I think I will try for a 10+ year fort with current version and then start a new one when the new release is stable.  With the birth and death continuing after worldgen it will be the ideal time to get a fort going. 
  Another question for those with long running forts, what is the best ratio of ingame years to hours of play that you can get?  Starting out, for the first couple of years and I can easily spend 3-4 hours per ingame year.  I can get it down to around an hour or an hour and a half if I build up a good food stockpile and I don't mind letting a lot of dwarves go idle.  Any tips on fort automation for long running forts?  I know how to use the manager screen, but when the migrants start piling in I can't keep them productive.   
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 11:14:48 pm »

Any tips on fort automation for long running forts?  I know how to use the manager screen, but when the migrants start piling in I can't keep them productive.

Workflow works wonders :D.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:21 pm »

Most of my forts have only lasted relatively short times since I play Masterwork mod and Meph and Putnam KEEP UPDATING SO I HAVE TO REDOWNLOAD! But right now I have an orc fortress that I'm going to try and go the long haul with. If you're worried about FPS, Masterwork has quite a few options to reduce clutter, most of which can be implemented into an otherwise vanilla game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

Don't use siege equipment and look into military alerts.
Making a fortress that is impossible to concur is possible but not very FUN.
I CONCUR SIR

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 11:43:40 am »

Don't use siege equipment and look into military alerts.
Making a fortress that is impossible to concur is possible but not very FUN.
*conquer

*yeah I know english has a stupid spelling system doesn't it? If only the U.S. had gone through with spelling reform in the 20s, at least Americans wouldn't have to deal with this stuff.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 02:40:40 pm »

Any tips on fort automation for long running forts?  I know how to use the manager screen, but when the migrants start piling in I can't keep them productive.

Workflow works wonders :D.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a retard when it comes to DF Hack...
Can you give some sort of example of how to use that command?
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 03:57:21 pm »

I'm now in 1030, and I have some dwarves who comes from my FIRST fortress, and moved to the second, then the third.

As my civilisation is extincted, my migrants are either created from nothing, or coming from other fortresses i made.
And it's a very good moment when you see that in the XXXth migrant wave, you have a dwarf who was still a child when you abandonned your first fortress. Especially when you see that his parents are still alive, and living in your fortress.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 04:30:45 pm »

My forts usually last about 10-15 years before I get bored of them and long for the early days of a fort.

Luckily next release we can finally retire forts so I no longer have to abandon them and mess everything up, so I can come back later and maybe get farther

Pages: 1 [2] 3